Author Topic: Dog cries when baby cries  (Read 643 times)

Offline Smckenry

Dog cries when baby cries
« on: January 23, 2017, 04:59:26 PM »
Hi all,
I haven't been around for ages, hope everyone and their pups are well!

Thought you could help shed light on this situation:

I had a baby 14 weeks ago and him and our 2 year old cocker Luna are getting on swimmingly. She has adjusted really well to baby; she tries to clean him (licking hands and feet) and wants to help him play when he's on the floor (always supervised of course)

Anyway the last week or two she's starting crying when he cries. Not everyone, only if they're in the same room and only when baby is REALLY crying/upset. She does this low volume, drawn out, whiney  cry (not a howl)

Is she anxious or just upset that he's upset? Or does she think he's howling and trying to join in?!

Thoughts?!  :005:

Offline Ambler54

Re: Dog cries when baby cries
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 06:02:08 PM »
Oh bless Her, what a lovely girl.We had a Siamese cat that would get really distressed when the baby cried and would start wailing.Had to reassure Him that allwas ok, He would sit on the changing mat and watch every move ( nappy changing always a cue for baby to wail) almost as if to check We weren't harming His baby.Sounds to me Luna is anxious, what a lovely girl.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Dog cries when baby cries
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 06:31:01 PM »
 :luv:  I agree with Ambler, I think she's also a little anxoius. I had a GSD when my first son was born and he used to come into our bedroom at night and nudge me when the baby started crying and then pace between our room and the nursery until I got up and went to him.!
Its so lovely that she's showing that reaction rather than being jealous, which can unfortunately occasionally be a problem! Luna sounds like she's being a really caring "big sister"  ;) !