Author Topic: Changing feeding schedule to three meals a day (raw)  (Read 1650 times)

Offline 77marie

Changing feeding schedule to three meals a day (raw)
« on: September 29, 2018, 09:13:03 AM »
Hi there,
I wanted to ask what your experience is with changing feeding schedule from four meals down to three.
Goldie is in raw food (Honey?s Real Dog Food) and she loves it and it is working great for us. She is just over 3 months old now.
She gets fed four times a day now - roughly around 6am, 12am, 6pm and 11pm. She lives her food, she has accidents overnight, but no big deal.
The thing is I work every afternoon 1-5pm or 2-6pm. So if we wanted to start feeding her three times it would not be spread regularly. It would be 6am, 12am and then maybe 7pm or so, would it be ok? She is always so hungry! She loves her food... we giver her half of a duck wing or a chicken neck at least once a day because if she eats just the minced mix she just gobbles it down so fast, bless her. Chewing bones makes her happy:-)
I am just worried if she gets just three meals and longer gaps in between she will be too hungry... What time did you change the meals to three a day, please?
Thanks!
Marie x

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
Re: Changing feeding schedule to three meals a day (raw)
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 03:14:29 PM »
Hi Marie, I feed raw too and I can remember Jinley not being interested in her midday meal, when I was feeding 4 times.

When I dropped to 3 meals it would be
breakfast between 8 and 9 or after early morning walk.
Lunch between 1 and 2
Dinner around 6 (depending on if we were taking her out for the evening)
Biscuit at bedtime.

The same amount of food is fed, just shared into 3.  Personally I think 11pm is too late for a meal, but that is only my opinion.

I have never fed Honey's but I do know that sometimes the bone content on pre made foods can end up too high if you are feeding bones as well.  You could always add some sardines (in oil or water never brine) to her meals too, just in case she gets constipated.

She is 7 now and on 2 meals a day - approximately 9am depending on morning walk and about 6pm.

Good luck!!

Offline 77marie

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 06:40:37 PM »
Thank you,
Ok so we will try three meals a day from tomorrow. Honey's Real Dog food recommended four meals until 12 weeks of age and Goldie is 14 now:-o
I was wondering myself whether I disbalance the food by adding a duck wing a day or so to the ready made minced meals. But Goldie gets some dried liver treats and roughly a small carrot a day cut up in pieces for treats as well, so I am hoping it evens it all out. But I will look into sardines in water or oil, thank you! She seems to be doing great. No constipation.
We will need to figure out a schedule for the three meals because I am away at work between 1-5 or 2-6, so maybe the first meal very early around 6am before walk, then the second meal 12:30 after walk and before my work and the third around 7-8pm after her walk. We will see.
I feel like such a neurotic, but I just want to get it right for her:-)
Thank you!
Have a lovely evening,
Marie x

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 09:59:49 AM »
Thank you,
Ok so we will try three meals a day from tomorrow. Honey's Real Dog food recommended four meals until 12 weeks of age and Goldie is 14 now:-o
I was wondering myself whether I disbalance the food by adding a duck wing a day or so to the ready made minced meals. But Goldie gets some dried liver treats and roughly a small carrot a day cut up in pieces for treats as well, so I am hoping it evens it all out. But I will look into sardines in water or oil, thank you! She seems to be doing great. No constipation.
We will need to figure out a schedule for the three meals because I am away at work between 1-5 or 2-6, so maybe the first meal very early around 6am before walk, then the second meal 12:30 after walk and before my work and the third around 7-8pm after her walk. We will see.
Thank you!
Have a lovely evening,
Marie x

Neurotic is what we all are!  I worry more about Jinleys diet and routine more than I ever did with my 3 children!! :lol2: :shades:

The only thing I would try (and again its only my opinion) is to give her breakfast and evening meal after her morning walk rather than before - the lunchtime one can be more flexible. 

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 01:03:16 PM »
Thank you,
Thank you!
Have a lovely evening,
Marie x

Neurotic is what we all are!  I worry more about Jinleys diet and routine more than I ever did with my 3 children!! :lol2: :shades:

The only thing I would try (and again its only my opinion) is to give her breakfast and evening meal after her morning walk rather than before - the lunchtime one can be more flexible.

Agree, - (on both points  :lol2:)

Offline 77marie

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 02:49:18 PM »
Thank you:-)
Xx