Author Topic: Training using no rewards  (Read 1587 times)

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: Training using no rewards
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2016, 07:20:11 PM »
I don't think you should be using anything like 'look here' or 'what's this'...  If you are asking your dog do do something  - recall, sit, whatever - then that command should be all that is required. If trained to the whistle, the dog should respond immediately to the whistle. No 'oy', look here necessary. If you are training a dog its attention should be on you. Running across a field to show it a piece of cheese in the hopes it will follow you is not effective as a training method. The dog shouldn't be allowed to do as it pleases when it chooses. Insist on the correct response at all times, reward with praise or treats or a game once it has done it correctly.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2016, 07:34:03 PM »
Have just started reading some of Pippa Mattinson's online articles after reading this. Really interesting, particularly the Happy Puppy Site, where she discusses the pro's and con's of traditional and modern training methods. Might order her book now.

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2016, 07:41:49 PM »
I don't think you should be using anything like 'look here' or 'what's this'...  If you are asking your dog do do something  - recall, sit, whatever - then that command should be all that is required. If trained to the whistle, the dog should respond immediately to the whistle. No 'oy', look here necessary. If you are training a dog its attention should be on you. Running across a field to show it a piece of cheese in the hopes it will follow you is not effective as a training method. The dog shouldn't be allowed to do as it pleases when it chooses. Insist on the correct response at all times, reward with praise or treats or a game once it has done it correctly.

I completely agree.

As regards to recall, Total Recall states that you should never blow the whistle unless 100% certain the dog will respond. That's why, at times I'm not 100% sure of her response like when she was chasing a crow , I use the voice of doom before blowing the whistle.

I only use the bribery techniques while attempting heal work. Unfortunately, although she is incredibly quick to pick most things up (I'm talking about minutes, not hours) after 4 months of trying Millie is incapable of walking to heal. And I'm getting desperate  >:(

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2016, 07:46:36 PM »
Sorry, can't help with heelwork... My 3yo cocker works beating and picking up all season, and competes in agility through summer. Very obedient. Still can't walk properly on a lead!!! 
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2016, 07:46:44 PM »
Have just started reading some of Pippa Mattinson's online articles after reading this. Really interesting, particularly the Happy Puppy Site, where she discusses the pro's and con's of traditional and modern training methods. Might order her book now.

There is some really good stuff on her site. My particular favourite article is titled 'My cocker is bonkers' :005:

I have her Total Recall book and it is very detailed. Excellent stuff.