Author Topic: Grooming questions!  (Read 555 times)

Offline rupertsmum

Grooming questions!
« on: May 24, 2010, 09:40:10 AM »
Hello,

Rupert is now almost 6 months and in this heat is boiling hot! hes still panting after his walk this morning and we have been back for 30 mins..  :huh:

We took him to the groomers for the first time about 6 weeks ago and just got his ears, head and legs trimmed. The groomer use scissors and clippers. She also used what looked like a round metal brush on his body that she said got out the dead hairs and that had blades?

as rupert is a pet and not for show we would like to keep his hair pretty short all over inc legs, ears, head etc etc.

So...
1 when people on here say dont clip as it makes the hair wooly what does wooly mean? fluffy? as we are going to always keep his hair short would this make a difference to us?
2 i've read you are meant to leave it as long as possible until the first groom why is this and how long is long? as its so hot at the moment is it not a bit mean not getting it cut so he can cool down more?
3 for the style we want on rupert could i do it myself? i have done his legs again and they look pretty good but will i need to buy clipper for his head/body or will a FURminator / coat king do the trick?

Sorry for long post but I couldnt find a thread to answer everything!

Also hes an english cocker spaniel blue roan if that makes any difference

thanks for reading!  :D
x

Offline Marina and Saartje

• www.cockerandfriends.nl
Re: Grooming questions!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 12:11:13 PM »
Woolly means curly and fluffy. A cockercoat should  be silky.

If you handstrip you can keep the back, flanks thighs en and head short by handstriping ( or comp weekly with a cam with rubber band tresses through it) Some people use the coatking I don't but it help keeping the back shorter.
The skirt will be cut so that's no problem if you want to keep it shorter then a showmodel.
Why waiting? Because the coat needs to be ripe/mature and lose so handstipping won't hurt the dog
greetings,
Marina, Saartje and Teun