Author Topic: How does your dog react to the cold weather ?  (Read 2960 times)

Offline Chris+Fudge

How does your dog react to the cold weather ?
« on: March 14, 2013, 09:41:54 PM »
I had this thought the other morning while walking Fudge and watching the other dogs.

If anything Fudge appeared to run harder the colder the weather has got. It was -5 the yesterday morning with light snow. If anything she had more energy to run around. I put this down to not getting as hot. There is a stream at the end of our walk where I normally let her run through to clean off all the mud she has collected over the past hr.  :005: Even at sub zero temps she had no second thoughts at jumping in and paddling around. When she came out she had steam coming off her !

One of the regular people we see has a 2 yo lab who wouldn't go more than 20 feet before putting all 4 feet down and pulling to go home. A few of Fudges friends looked more unhappy than their owners at been dragged out of their nice warm bed to run around a wet cold and muddy field.

I guess the question is has your cocker ever decided its too cold and wants to come home ?

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
Re: How does your dog react to the cold weather ?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 09:44:19 PM »

I guess the question is has your cocker ever decided its too cold and wants to come home ?

If its wet and windy yes, snow no - he loves the snow...However Charlie isn't very subtle; if he's bored/had enough he'll let you know!!
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 10:59:11 PM »
Brodie doesn't need much of an excuse to turn for home >:D :005: but got to say she loves the cold air and the snow. Frosty grass is a great favourite for rolling in. Rain, however, is her nemesis and she won't budge more than a few feet out of the house if it is wet (she does surprise me sometimes though, usually the times where I think to myself 'no need to wear the waterproofs, she'll not go far' :lol2:).

She physically doesn't like being cold though and much prefers the heat. The first hint of sun and she'd be in the garden all day if she could :luv:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Snoo

• Clover, DOB 17/05/11
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 11:06:55 PM »
Clover loves the cold and the rain - she doesn't like getting too hot as it seems to tire her. In cold  or wet weather she keeps going forever. Today, although not as bitterly cold as it has been, she dived in for a swim on our walk this afternoon to cool down after racing backwards and forwards playing fetch. However, if she is indoors and it is raining outside and I ask her to go out for a wee, suddenly she doesn't want to go. Get her lead etc ready for a walk and she is at the door ready to go whatever the weather!
To know them is to love them.....

Offline karen488

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 07:03:37 AM »
The scents in the cold and frost seem to make mine more active. I wandered if the smell froze and was therefore stronger  :huh:

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 07:30:13 AM »
Not much difference here with Riley, though he too loves the snow.
I didnt realise just how much till the other day, I said to my son in the living room  "Its snowing" Riley at the time was laying on the floor with his stag bar, suddenly he bolted up and ran to the back door. I thought he heard something, or needed the toilet, but nope it was because he recognised the word snow.
He cried constantly at the back door to get out then he proceeded to dive up and down the garden rubbing his side and ears in snow.

Offline dawn

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 07:55:27 AM »
Henry loves cold weather. Nothing better than full on zoomies on a frosty lawn. luvs it. Only torrential rain slows him down.

Sometimes I am pleased when we have a torrential rain day, we can chill out on the sofa a bit more............. :005:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 07:59:26 AM »
Loves the cold the best - scents seem to be more intense on frozen ground  :luv:

Has no problem with torrential rain either  >:(  And he loves wind - the stronger the better - I think the scents are all swirling around and it makes him giddy  :lol2:

Less happy with hot weather (thank the lord there's never much in THIS country then  :lol2:) but we compensate with walks where he can swim and cool off and by taking him out morning or evening when it's cooler.
helen & jarvis x

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 08:16:11 AM »
Honey loves the snow, this was her yesterday

Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 08:18:28 AM »
Coco is quite happy with the cold - loves the frost and rolls around like a loon on it.  Snow too  :D  Agree with Helen, the smells seem to be more intense in the cold.  :D

But rain - noooo!  If it is raining, she plonks her bottom down and refuses to go out  :lol2:
Julie and Watson

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 08:55:27 AM »
Teal will refuse to go into the garden for a pee if its raining, but if we get the lead out its a different story happy to run around and swim in sub zero temps as long as we are somewhere interesting.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 11:18:43 AM »
Mine run about more in windy weather, cold or warm, and love snow. William hates heavy rain and plods along looking fed up when we're out walking and refuses to go in the garden for a pee until he's absolutely desperate. Louis doesn't seem to mind the rain at all.

Both of them slow down a lot in hot weather and I'm not keen on walking in it either, so on hot days we walk before it gets hot in the morning and just before sunset when it's starting to cool.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 12:01:22 PM »
Archie doesn't seem to notice what the weather is doing! Out and about he's the same in rain, shine, sleet, hail!  We haven't had any snow though but he likes rolling on a frosty lawn. Inside the house he definately feels the cold though. Last weekend he got very wet and muddy and actually went to fetch his equafleece and brought it into the lounge for me to put on.  :luv: :luv:

Offline Darwin

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 12:24:10 PM »
Light rain is OK, but Heavy rain he's real hard work.   It'll sometimes takes over 10 mins to get him to walk 200 yrds.   
Loves the snow,  as long was we manage the snow flares.
Walking is the wind is best.  But on a sunny day he's been known to be sunbathing by 8am.   He'd be happy to spend the whole day sunbathing in his special spot in the garden

Offline JohnK

• Donator
  • Produced for Minnie, Dennis and Rosie
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 12:29:27 PM »
Until Tuesday, mine have had no problem with the cold weather and snow. However, on Tuesday they first all managed to pull me over in the ice, cutting my arm, lucky I didn't break it and causing severe embarrassment and aches, followed by being licked all over my face as I lay on the ground before a kind fellow dog walker came over to check I was ok, which thankfully I was.

We carried on and went to the paper shop where the dogs got their biscuit and I paid for my paper, but forgot to pick it up. Must have been the bump to my head  :005: :005:

As we walked up the road towards the field they run in, Rosie suddenly started limping and holding one of her front paws up and it was full of frozen snow. She refused to go any further, so I had to ring Pauline to come and get us. Thank Dog, the snow and ice went for the next day  >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D