Author Topic: Maisie is poorly :(  (Read 2910 times)

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
    • Working Glass Jewellery
Maisie is poorly :(
« on: December 15, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »
She's home this eve from the second vets trip of the day, having narrowly avoided being kept in and put on a drip. Please can you keep all fingers crossed it stays that way and that she feels better in the morning.

On Wednesday evening in the dark, Maisie appeared to pick something up and promptly swallow it - before anyone could even blink. I didn't see but OH was convinced what he saw briefly was 'rubbery'. So out of character for Maisie I can't tell you. We were stunned but it was so quick OH began to think he'd imagined it.

However Maisie has been on gentle food cutbacks. She was becoming a bit 'portly'. I've been very unwell most of the year (better now) and it's been impossible for me to do lengthy walks with her. Input has clearly exceeded output. Despite filling her up with raw veggies, the cutbacks may have turned her into a bit of a forager when out, or so it appears.

Anyway, she seemed fine on Thursday, bouncing around, toilet as normal, though I was still worried. Friday however, she developed diarrhoea. Friday evening she started being sick too. I didn't feed her in the eve. She was sick all last night, every hour through the night but without producing much apart from a small amount of bile. She started to look very poorly, was clearly in pain and her stomach was making the most awful noises.

First thing in this morning I took her to the emergency vet and explained what had happened. He had a good poke, took her temp - normal, but said she was becoming dehydrated. He gave her an anti-emetic jab and a course of metronidazole and salazopyrin. I know metronidazole can be said to have mixed blessings but in the circumstances I've jumped at it...

Vet said take her back home, see if I could get fluid in after the anti emetic jab kicks in today. I did but I couldn't. Or at least I could but it all came out the bottom end faster than it went in and that was before we even got as far as giving her the Metronidazole etc.  :-\

And then she passed it late afternoon. A lump of squashy rubber approx 2.5 cm dia.

I've been back to the vet with her this eve and she still looked so poorly and listless. She's had another thorough going over by two vets. Temp normal. They wanted initially to admit her because she was still a little dehydrated. However she livened up in the course of his inspection  >:( :luv:, put on a grand display of charm in front of both of the bemused vets and downed a dish of R Canin recovery food AND the tablets disguised in it. He said I could bring her home and if worried at anytime in the night just whip her back - he's on duty all night at the hospital and it takes me mins to get there.

So, she is home again with chief nurse. I've boiled up a chicken breast and kept the stock ready to try her with later. Vets have told me that if she has a further blockage she would continue to be sick despite the anti emetic jab. So far she hasn't been sick since her 'tea at the vets'. She's quiet this eve but then she had little sleep last night and has had nearly two days without eating so I am hoping and hoping.

She's asleep at the moment and seems quite calm. Please can you keep all fingers crossed for her. x

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
Re: Maisie is poorly :(
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 08:42:12 PM »
Positive COL thoughts for poor Maisie - hope she is back to her bouncy self very soon
Roxy b.19.05.10  Bobby b.21.08.11
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs think I am.

Offline max15

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 08:50:21 PM »
Hope Maisie is feeling better soon  :luv:

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 08:50:43 PM »
 :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Get well soon Maisie xx

Pat

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 08:50:59 PM »
Sending you lot of positive and healing thoughts Maisie  :luv:  Get well soon.   :bigarmhug: for the chief nurse.

Offline grracee

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 08:51:48 PM »
Sending lots of positive thoughts for Maisie and lots of very gentle :bigarmhug:'s. Hope she feels better soon :luv: :luv: :luv:

Offline Wenco18

• Donator
  • With Lottie and Lola in North Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 08:51:56 PM »
Thinking of Maisie and hoping she will soon be better  :-*
Wendy, Lottie and Lola x

Lottie dob 26/04/09
Lola  dob  10/10/2011

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 08:54:17 PM »
 :luv:

Positive thoughts for Maisie - soo hoping she will be improved tomorrow.   :bigarmhug:  Hugs for the chief nurse.
It may be a very long night.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 08:56:11 PM »
Oh poor Maisie :o

I hope now that she's passed the piece of rubber she'll continue to improve :luv:. Sending lots of positive thoughts and some gentle hugs  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

William picks up pieces of rubber ball that other dogs have pulled to pieces but the owners haven't picked up and disposed of. He swallows them unless I see him and get them off him quickly. It's my biggest worry when walking him.

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 08:57:30 PM »
Poor you and poor Maisie, hopefully she is on the road to recovery. :luv:
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 08:58:05 PM »
Keeping my fingers crossed that Maisie is feeling alot better by the morning  :luv: and lots of these  :bigarmhug: for you  :D

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 09:05:14 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear this Nina  :'(
but it does sound like Maisie has 'passed' the problem & is slowly getting better, poor love  :bigarmhug:  I will keep everything crossed that she continues to impove & your little girl is soon all better again  :luv:   :angel:

lots of these for you too Nina......  :bigarmhug:  :-* :bigarmhug:   really hope 2013 is a better year for you in every way  :-*   
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline Poppypuppy09

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 09:08:49 PM »
Oh Nina I am so sorry to read about poor cousin Maisie  :'(

Really hope that little Maisie is on the mend now, lots of  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: for you both  :-*

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 09:30:35 PM »
So sorry to read that Maisie has been so poorly. They certainly add to our worries, don't they? Keeping my fingers crossed that the worst is past and she is on the road to recovery. Sending you both a big, gentle hug. :bigarmhug:

Offline Lovely

Maisie is poorly
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 09:36:47 PM »
Hope Maisie is on the mend, hoping a good night's sleep will make her and you feel alot better x
Ali