Author Topic: Swollen ears  (Read 1325 times)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Swollen ears
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 04:59:34 PM »
Glad to see she's back to normal  :luv:

We always keep some Piriton in the house - have never used it for us, always the dog  :lol2:  Very useful for nettle stings and any other allergic reactions  ;) (a childs dose)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Ralu A

• Elmo
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 05:02:44 PM »
Glad she's back to normal and feeling well :luv:
Elmo had a swollen face one summer, turns out it was an insect bite.
Life is just better with two cockers :D
Raluca, Elmo and Scai
IMG_33556 by Ralu A

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 03:07:13 PM »

Guess I've been a little premature in my analysis :'( back to the vets this morning with a lump and bleeding on her nose :o just behind the nostril :'( :'(

Vet can't put a finger on what's caused this allergy [if infact it is an allergy] but came away with Clavaseptin tablets, Fuciderm cream and Prednidale tablets :shades: :dunno: he did say that perhaps she's put her nose in something but how would that account for her swollen ears on Monday :dunno: :dunno:

There is a theory that many dogs are having problems with rock salt/grit that councils are putting on the roads, wonder what your take is on this >:( don't know now if I'm being paranoid but she appears to be licking her paws more than I've noticed in the past and whatever is on her paws could transferred to her mouth :012: :012: Only thing is we literary walk 200 mtrs down a street that is very rarely gritted, take a right turn and another 100mtrs and we're on Cleadon hills. Miya has played/exercised on these hills from being a pup. Over the last 10 days the hills have been covered in snow which I would have thought less lightly to pick up any nasties :020:

Anyway she's grounded for the next few days :shades: :'(

Mel.

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 03:09:26 PM »

Guess I've been a little premature in my analysis :'( back to the vets this morning with a lump and bleeding on her nose :o just behind the nostril :'( :'(

Vet can't put a finger on what's caused this allergy [if infact it is an allergy] but came away with Clavaseptin tablets, Fuciderm cream and Prednidale tablets :shades: :dunno: he did say that perhaps she's put her nose in something but how would that account for her swollen ears on Monday :dunno: :dunno:

There is a theory that many dogs are having problems with rock salt/grit that councils are putting on the roads, wonder what your take is on this >:( don't know now if I'm being paranoid but she appears to be licking her paws more than I've noticed in the past and whatever is on her paws could transferred to her mouth :012: :012: Only thing is we literary walk 200 mtrs down a street that is very rarely gritted, take a right turn and another 100mtrs and we're on Cleadon hills. Miya has played/exercised on these hills from being a pup. Over the last 10 days the hills have been covered in snow which I would have thought less lightly to pick up any nasties :020:

Anyway she's grounded for the next few days :shades: :'(

Mel.

Aww no Mel, did the vet say it was an allergy?

If you are still walking her in the same places, I'd just wash her feet in a bowl of warm water when you are back, better to be safe. Maybe even instead of just rinsing, give her feet a good shampooing as well.
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

• Miya
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2013, 03:16:42 PM »

Hi Emma

Vet didn't know if it was an allergy, that was today's vet, different one to Monday :dunno:
You know with the weather being what it is I can't remember the last time I haven't carried her into the house and bathed her. Most times just feet and under carriage but I expect I would have washed away anything she's picked up :'( >:( :dunno:

Mel.

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2013, 03:19:24 PM »

Hi Emma

Vet didn't know if it was an allergy, that was today's vet, different one to Monday :dunno:
You know with the weather being what it is I can't remember the last time I haven't carried her into the house and bathed her. Most times just feet and under carriage but I expect I would have washed away anything she's picked up :'( >:( :dunno:

Mel.

I quickly googled it and it mentioned, allergies or fungal infections? You could always give another vet a call for a second opinion?
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2013, 03:19:49 PM »
helen & jarvis x

• Miya
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2013, 04:03:16 PM »
could it be from this grit?

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=101255.msg1491023#msg1491023

This slipped my mind completely, may have thought something would have triggered a flashback whilst looking for a probable cause :buttkick:
If the rocksalt is the cause of this allergy then I've only myself to blame >:( so much for doing a good turn :doh:

Mel.