Author Topic: Preventing cocker 'snow balls' top tips could be useful!  (Read 4721 times)

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
    • Working Glass Jewellery
Re: Preventing cocker 'snow balls' top tips could be useful!
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 01:33:56 PM »
Just come back from a walk using olive oil. I didn't have the spray stuff so rubbed bottle one over her pads, legs etc. We still had snowballs on legs plus but nothing between the pads  :luv:.

Bought a spray oil whilst I was out so will try that later. Plenty of snow falling to test it on....

Off to post the photo evidence in Particolours  ;)  :005:

Offline Ralu A

• Elmo
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 02:53:04 PM »
Olive oil between the pads worked wonderfully, thanks :luv:
Life is just better with two cockers :D
Raluca, Elmo and Scai
IMG_33556 by Ralu A

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 03:04:14 PM »
Olive oil is great for stopping snow balls but not good if you want to prevent mayhem, last year I sprayed both dogs with fry light and all was going swimmingly until the delightful Harry decided to attempt to lick the oil from Ben 'Mr leave my feet alone or else there will be trouble'
It wasn't pretty......... :005:

Offline Ralu A

• Elmo
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 03:05:58 PM »
I had to wipe paw- shaped stains on the wooden floor, but I don't mind :luv:
Life is just better with two cockers :D
Raluca, Elmo and Scai
IMG_33556 by Ralu A

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
    • Working Glass Jewellery
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 05:26:17 PM »
Anyone used Mushers Wax?? My friend the lovely Joy at Scrufts has just told me she uses it for her Sussex Spaniels in the snow and she says it works a treat for them.

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2013, 11:04:46 PM »
I have used olive oil tipped straight from the bottle into my hands then onto Rube but as Jenny has said it's a race to do all four paws,legs and bottom of ears before she licks it off   :P and when it's fresh on it will stain  >:(

I did progress onto the spray olive oil but i think the trick to no snowballs is not to be to mean with the amount you spray.I have found a good coating helps and make sure it is rubbed into the feet.

I haven't used a conditioning spray but will def try one out.
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2013, 12:21:21 AM »
I took Henry out this afternoon (this morning was his first ever snow experience) and decided to try the Equafleece body suit. I was amazed at how effective it was. He got some small snow balls in his ears (after lots and lots of rolling around with puppy friends), but they melted within about five minutes of getting home - none of the huge ones. The equafleece was almost dry in spite of all the rolling. I've got some paw wax (thanks to Cassie!) which I'll try tomorrow on his pads - after his morning walk his paws were clearly uncomfortable and I ended up carrying him most of the way home. Olive oil would not work for me as I have carpets, and oil would definitely make marks.
So for me the Equafleece body suit is definitely the way forward. If I wanted to avoid the ear problem I could always get him a snood, but I'm not sure I could face the embarrassment - it was bad enough with a cocker that looked like a poodle with big fluffy feet sticking out of the fleece!

Offline praia

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2013, 04:11:53 AM »
I used to do a bit of cooking spray, but hated the greasy residue and the smell.

Musher's Secret paw wax works much better.  It works extremely well between the toes and a little bit rubbed on the feathering and ears prevents any snow balling on there as well.  There's no greasy residue, it smells pleasant, and it makes my hands nice and soft as well. 

Offline jonnytrabant

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2013, 07:33:13 AM »
I've just come across this thread and there's been quite a bit of snow here in Newcastle and Harry naturally has been enjoying it, prior to having the snip last Thursday but took him out for a gentle one and no snowballs at all on his feet, ears or anywhere!!

Not sure why, I'd just never thought of it. He's a working Cocker so has less of a coat than a show but I am sure he has the same paws. I'll check again this morning when I take him out.

Weird :dunno:

Offline Lovely

Preventing cocker snow balls top tips
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2013, 08:36:37 AM »
Spud my border terrier doesn't get them so coat type definitely makes a difference but i still put oil on his paws to protect them. Also at risk of sounding like british rail, snow type makes a difference,some snow seems stickier!
Ali

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2013, 11:26:11 AM »
Well I put some Olive Oil on Jinley before our walk this morning, but as she was so excited only got it on her ears and feet!  Had to use it from the bottle and it was my best Extra Virgin  >:( >:(.  Then I forgot my gloves so had to open the front door again then try and put my gloves on, all the time Jinley running in circles in the fresh stuff on the front lawn!!

Well it worked but the problem is where there wasnt any ended up with huge snowballs.  Dunked her in a bucket when we got home, and guess what??  Ten minutes later she is back outside and now she has pom poms hanging off her again.

I dont think there is enough Olive Oil in Italy to stop Jinleys snowballs!!

I dont know why I bother!! >:D 

Offline Lovely

Preventing cocker snow balls top tips
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2013, 11:32:11 AM »
Oh Pat sounds like you had as much fun as i did trying to get it on the dog, plus i had a 4 year old quite reasonably enquiring what on earth i was doing! Have just bought some spray sun flower oil, our co op doesn't do spray olive oil. Assume sun flower oil is ok?
Ali

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
Re: Preventing cocker snow balls top tips
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2013, 11:34:49 AM »
Oh Pat sounds like you had as much fun as i did trying to get it on the dog, plus i had a 4 year old quite reasonably enquiring what on earth i was doing! Have just bought some spray sun flower oil, our co op doesn't do spray olive oil. Assume sun flower oil is ok?

I was thinking more of a sheep dip type of contraption!!

Offline janandted

• Donator
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2013, 12:41:37 PM »

I was thinking more of a sheep dip type of contraption!!
:rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: I tried spray oil this morning .......not sure how much ended up on the ears and feathers  :-\ but it worked  :D ......there again it may have been the 'type' of snow this morning  :dunno:

Mollie,(and me) says thank you so much Lindsey for starting this thread .......was much needed  :-*

Offline Tiramisu

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2013, 07:04:31 PM »
spent 30minutes in the park yesterday and terri had some snowball grown on him!!!

i was so annoyed and wanted to scissor off some of his fluff on feet! (they need scissoring soon though....)

i got a equafleece bodysuit, will try it tomorrow, if it doesnt work, will try the groomers detangling spray before olive oil, it's not ideal to have oil mark at hom!  :lol: