Author Topic: Preventing cocker 'snow balls' top tips could be useful!  (Read 4723 times)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Preventing cocker 'snow balls' top tips could be useful!
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2013, 09:05:00 PM »
My two had olive oil on their feet and a little way up their leg feathering before their walk this morning and it worked well. By the time they got home it had pretty well gone so I just wiped them down as usual and no trace of the olive oil remained, so no marks on the carpets or sofa :blink:

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2013, 09:52:04 PM »
olive oil failed Hazel today ... though it worked between her pads, she still had snowballs up to the bottom of her trouser suit!

I thought I was going to dislocate her shoulder trying to get her trouser suit off over them  :o

Luckily not though, and a warm shower later and she wanted back out in the garden,just like Jinley  :lol:
Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
    • Working Glass Jewellery
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2013, 10:34:12 PM »
We've now tried the spray olive oil. It didn't prevent the snowballs on her legs but did stop lumpy paws. But the  oil I rubbed in straight out of the bottle yesterday did that too.

I think I'm going to invest in some Mushers Wax for future snow, see how we get on.

Agree Kelly, had great difficulty getting the damn coat off over the snowball bootees!  :lol2:

Offline maddy74

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2013, 11:56:00 PM »
Well Willow has had two showers today and I will be glad when the snow has gone now.....  :-\

Offline SuzanneE

• Donator
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2013, 08:29:59 AM »
I think that the leave in conditioner seems to work better than olive oil (but I guess it could depend on the type of snow and the length of time you are out in it) all I can say is daisy wore her equa fleece and had spray on leave in conditioner and we were out for a long time, she came back home with no snow balls, smells gorgeous from the conditioner and there was no oily marks around the house.  ;)

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2013, 06:10:03 PM »
Well we went on a walk to the local park today with Pearl.

I had put some Olive Oil on Jinley before we set off and the amount of snow on Pearls legs was far greater than that on Jinleys.  So I would say that it works.  She just smells of chips now!!  Not sure how I will stomach that when I am having my morning cocker cuddle!! :lol2:

Can I ask if the leave in conditioner is doggy conditioner??

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2013, 06:33:22 PM »
After coat conditioner didn't work yesterday, today I tried this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Groomers-Grooming-Spray-Groom-Tangle/dp/B0030DEP5A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358706388&sr=8-2
Have to say, his feet only had a few little snowballs on them and when I took his suit off, there were quite big snowballs inside the legs but they hadn't stuck to his fur at all, like they did yesterday.  I would say this has certainly helped and he was out for three hours.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline ellicott

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2013, 06:39:02 PM »

Check these snow balls out .....

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2013, 06:41:36 PM »
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Groomers-Grooming-Spray-Groom-Tangle/dp/B0030DEP5A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358706388&sr=8-2
Have to say, his feet only had a few little snowballs on them and when I took his suit off, there were quite big snowballs inside the legs but they hadn't stuck to his fur at all, like they did yesterday.  I would say this has certainly helped and he was out for three hours.

You know, I think that's what I use ph34r. I have two bottles, a conditioning spray and a detangling spray and now I'm wondering which one I used last year successfully. We are meant to be getting lots of snow tomorrow so guess I'll find out!

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2013, 06:44:19 PM »

You know, I think that's what I use ph34r. I have two bottles, a conditioning spray and a detangling spray and now I'm wondering which one I used last year successfully. We are meant to be getting lots of snow tomorrow so guess I'll find out!

Jenny, it's the white liquid which is called anti tangle.  I use it to remove knots and mats and it's fantastic for that so I thought I'd give it a go for preventing snowballs too.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline ellicott

• Site Member
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2013, 06:45:38 PM »
As you can see  from my picture post above dolly turns into a poodle in the snow!, I've just given up and stick her in a bowl of water on return including equafleece and they seem to dissolve !!

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2013, 06:47:46 PM »

Jenny, it's the white liquid which is called anti tangle.  I use it to remove knots and mats and it's fantastic for that so I thought I'd give it a go for preventing snowballs too.

I will spray half of her with one bottle and the other half with the other and see which one works best :lol2:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2013, 07:00:04 PM »
had better success today in the snow with a leave in conditioner (actually a human one called 'Naked - Miracle worker').

Was great on M&J .. however Hazel went ditch and puddle diving so her wet feathering just attracted snow like a magnet  ph34r
Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2013, 07:05:31 PM »
Don't know whether it was the conditioner or type of snow, but I used a small amount of Pantene conditioner on my two today (paws, feathers and ears) and no snow balls. They don't have 4-legged suits, so legs all exposed.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline SuzanneE

• Donator
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2013, 08:32:20 PM »
I have used the instant detangle spray for dogs by john paul today and it has worked as well as the leave in dog conditioner that I have been using. I have not tried human leave in conditioner but I expect it would probably work just as well  :005: