Author Topic: Preventing cocker 'snow balls' top tips could be useful!  (Read 4749 times)

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
Re: Preventing cocker 'snow balls' top tips could be useful!
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2013, 08:49:15 PM »
Don't know whether it was the conditioner or type of snow, but I used a small amount of Pantene conditioner on my two today (paws, feathers and ears) and no snow balls. They don't have 4-legged suits, so legs all exposed.

I did post on the other thread that someone had recommended using Pantene i think it is because of the silicone content it stops the snow sticking.  ;)
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline Lovely

Preventing cocker snow balls top tips
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2013, 09:21:50 PM »
I tried the spray sunflower oil today and whilst it did work, i managed to spray myself quite liberally as well. Think i will try leave in conditioner tomorrow, we've had loads more snow here today.
Ali

Offline tootz12

« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2013, 11:36:06 AM »
I completely forgot  >:( to oil Tootsie this morning, and omg she was covered in snowballs by the time we got home, its my first winter with her and our first experience of her in the snow, I wont be forgetting the oil again  :005: a lukewarm shower sorted her out.

Offline suzieq

• Site Member
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2013, 12:32:01 PM »
Anyone used Mushers Wax?? My friend the lovely Joy at Scrufts has just told me she uses it for her Sussex Spaniels in the snow and she says it works a treat for them.

I use it with all three of mine and it is absolutely brilliant. Came back this morning not a snowball between them :D
Your dog is a simpler version of you, only smaller, hairier and with a big wet tongue! (j.rose barber)

Offline Sally and Mark

• Donator
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2013, 04:30:47 PM »
 After seeing poor Finny chewing at his paws on Friday because of the snow, i took action for his walk on Saturday. I put some olive oil into an old squirty hair styling product bottle. Sprayed all 4 paws & feathering and his ears and it
worked a treat  :D  some bobbles managed to get inside his equafleece  but after a luke warm shower he was a happy boy. :D

Offline Chillis

« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2013, 04:46:40 PM »
Well after walking around today with a giant snowball we popped into petshop on the way home & got some Te tangle spray & conditioning spray. Fingers crossed it'll work!!

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2013, 05:04:50 PM »
 :fear2:  that's some serious snowballs you've got there Pepper   :-\   :luv:

hope the detangling spray does the trick ...hope you got a big bottle too - looks like you're going to need it with that much snow about   :021:
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2013, 05:47:12 PM »
I have groomers detangling spray so I tried it on phoebe and Mia today, it does work but only until the snow washed it off   >:(

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline Tiramisu

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2013, 11:35:47 PM »
2 hours in the park....
i got my test result!

equafleece body suit: it only works to a certain extend, snowballing at lower limb and the bottom bit... but it's still a good idea!
detangling spray: i used a cheap one today, it doesnt work, was planning to use groomers tomorrow, but i guess it will washed off, so will try dilute conditioner!

maybe will do a testing with "control", one leg with groomers detangling spray, one with diluted doggy conditioner, one with human leave in conditioner, one with nothing  :005:

not a fan of oil~~ only will do this as last resort!!

Offline Lovely

Preventing cocker snow balls top tips!
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2013, 02:27:53 PM »
Well, results of my very unscientific trials are: spray sunflower oil useless, on basis got more on me than on dog. Olive oil applied by hand worked well but messy and stains. Dogs Trust Dry  Shampoo brilliant. Easy to apply, smells lovely and not one snow ball.
Ali

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2013, 02:31:09 PM »
My two are clipped now but when Dennis had a full coat i used canter coat shine or mane and tail.

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2013, 04:29:39 PM »
Well after walking around today with a giant snowball we popped into petshop on the way home & got some Te tangle spray & conditioning spray. Fingers crossed it'll work!!

Ohhh pepper, yu luks lyke a sno pupy!  yaw snobals is mush wurser than myne woz!  I howpes yu cud wark home lyk that.

luv ozzy xxx

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2013, 05:17:23 PM »
I'm still using the Groomers detangle spray (and a four legged suit and snood) and Toby is still getting a few snowballs on his feet.  He's not a happy bunny about having his feet plunged in water so today I brushed out the snowballs with his slicker brush - it worked a treat, so quick and easy.  (Just a note - be very careful if you walk your dog over roads that have been treated with rocksalt.  It can get on their paws and between their toes and if they lick them afterwards, it can have very serious consequences.  I actually carried Toby over a treated road today).

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline maddy74

« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2013, 06:34:23 PM »
I'm still using the Groomers detangle spray (and a four legged suit and snood) and Toby is still getting a few snowballs on his feet.  He's not a happy bunny about having his feet plunged in water so today I brushed out the snowballs with his slicker brush - it worked a treat, so quick and easy.  (Just a note - be very careful if you walk your dog over roads that have been treated with rocksalt.  It can get on their paws and between their toes and if they lick them afterwards, it can have very serious consequences.  I actually carried Toby over a treated road today).

Ive just started a thread  about the rocksalt....see below...

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=101552.0

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2013, 07:33:01 PM »
On my two yesterday I rubbed olive oil into their paws but didn't put any on their legs.  We went on the golf course and their paws were fine but their legs were covered in snowballs.  Today I smoothed Groomers Evening Oil of Primrose conditioner on both paws & legs, went onto the same golf course and had no snowballs whatsoever.