Author Topic: Warning....  (Read 986 times)

Offline maddy74

Warning....
« on: January 23, 2013, 05:32:36 PM »
Im sure there was a thread on this last year although I cant find it now...

Lots of messages on facebook about it so Ive cut and paste the message here. New to dog ownership last year I wasnt aware of this. Thought it might be a good reminder to everyone that already is aware and good info to share with puppy owners and people new to the forum....

WARNING....With the snow upon us the roads are now being gritted, if you walk your dog on gritted roads/paths please make sure that their paws are washed either by walking them through a few puddles away from the gritted surfaces or by dipping their feet in fresh water once at home. Hundreds of pets are becoming seriously ill and in some cases dying because of the rock salt and antifreeze being used during the cold snap, animal charities warned yesterday. Dogs and cats are walking through the substances left by gritters trying to clear roads and car drivers defrosting their windscreens and then licking them off their paws. Consuming rock salt can cause dehydration, liver failure and pancreatitis, while antifreeze contains the chemical ethylene glycol, which can be lethal when ingested.

Offline Neon

• Donator
Re: Warning....
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 06:10:51 PM »
Great post Maddy - we all need to be very vigilent.  I carried Toby across a treated road today.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 06:11:49 PM »
Thanks for that, it just goes to show all these dangers doesnt it.

Offline Biddy

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 06:17:08 PM »
thanks Maddy,

New doggy owner this year, have washed  Jake's paws this evening, he was not too keen on the idea but a few pieces of kibble helped, best be safe than sorry  :lol2:

Offline maddy74

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 06:36:22 PM »
Great post Maddy - we all need to be very vigilent.  I carried Toby across a treated road today.

They say great minds think alike Mel and you were mentioning it in another thread about the same time I was typing this....  ;)

Yep better to be safe that sorry for sure  :D

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 06:37:54 PM »
I've been reading about it on the internet, lots of dogs and cats have died because of it.  :'( :'(

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 07:28:44 PM »
I've been washing Ellie's paws after every walk because, for the first time in living memory, the Council have not only salted the main road but also the pavements, so we can't avoid the salt.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 07:29:50 PM »
Thanks Maddy, a very timely reminder.

Offline Ian Wright

• Grace
    • Cages
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 11:00:17 AM »
I have put Grace out in the back garden after a walk so she jumps in the snow and gets the salt off that way  ;)
Amazing Grace Jalankiu    5/9/2009 18/5/2022

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 12:21:11 PM »
Guys please don’t panic about rock salt, there is no anti-freeze added to rock salt, Rock salt is just that the only thing added is grit.
Yes good idea to wash your pups feet to prevent cracking / irritation and also salt ingesting.

Anti-freeze used in car engines to stop them freezing contains ethylene glycol  and is the real killer, this stuff tastes sweet, dogs and cats like the taste and very little is needed to kill a dog. Dogs can access this from leaky car cooling systems and when people have a spill when topping up radiators if you suspect your dog has contacted this then CALL VETS straight away treatment must be immediate.
The de-icer that you use on windscreens does not contain ethylene glycol and also contains an agent to taste bitter so is low risk but best to be avoided.

The above information is from a vet who posts on another forum.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline Mel B

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 08:50:19 PM »
Yes I checked about the gritting of paths as Henry has been very ill this week but the vet confirmed that this would not have caused the problem.