Author Topic: Pippa has eaten chocolate cake  (Read 1649 times)

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
Pippa has eaten chocolate cake
« on: February 28, 2013, 03:39:25 PM »
I had a BT engineer round this afternoon and as he went to leave Pippa escaped through the front door.  I knew exactly where she'd be headed and sure enough I found her in the garden of some elderly neighbours who always have food out for the birds.  Pippa has made it her mission over the last few months to get in there at every opportunity.  Unfortunately, today's offering alongside slices of buttered bread was some chocolate cake.  As I got to the garden gate I could see her swallowing a largish piece.  I don't know how many other slices there had been that she had managed to eat.  She was only in there a minute or so but is a very fast eater. 

My first thoughts are just to keep an eye on her and see how she gets on rather than going straight to the vet.  I am imagining that there can't be that much cocoa in a slice of cake.  At the moment she is snoozing next to me on the sofa.  If she starts being sick or anything we'll have to go.

I can understand putting food out for the birds but slices of cake and whole pieces of buttered bread  :huh:  It didn't look like the birds had been near them.  At least the neighbours are a nice couple and don't mind my occasional visits to the garden to retrieve a very naughty greedy spaniel.

Barney was ill last night too.  Brought up all his sprats tea, re-ate some of it and then threw up again.  The joys of living with dogs...

Offline HelenS

• Donator
  • Cupar
Re: Pippa has eaten chocolate cake
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 03:44:49 PM »
Im sure Chocolate cake can`t be good for our feathered friends  :shades: Hope Pippa is ok  :luv:

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 03:55:38 PM »
I know its not good for them and I would never give dogs chocolate, but my dogs must have eaten loads of it over the years stolen from my kids and their mates.
Except for the JR that stole and ate a box of chocolate liquors, very sick and very drunk but she survived OK.

I find it kind of funny how an animal can be born with a passion for something that is so bad for them, Teal has never had the smallest bit of chocolate but will come running as soon as a chocolate wrapper is removed.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 04:04:50 PM »
Chocolate is dangerous for dogs if it is in intense quantities and strengths - eg. a bar of 70% cocoa content would be very dangerous. I can't imagine that there's that much cocoa content in one piece of cake, so try not to worry too much. I would keep an eye on her. Other people might suggest the vet, though.

One of our dogs once got some marijuana (naughty big sisters!) and my sister had to phone the vet to ask what might happen - she was reassured that it would just pass through and he'd be a bit "sleepy" for a while, which he was.

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 04:14:54 PM »
Chocolate is dangerous for dogs if it is in intense quantities and strengths - eg. a bar of 70% cocoa content would be very dangerous. I can't imagine that there's that much cocoa content in one piece of cake, so try not to worry too much. I would keep an eye on her. Other people might suggest the vet, though.

One of our dogs once got some marijuana (naughty big sisters!) and my sister had to phone the vet to ask what might happen - she was reassured that it would just pass through and he'd be a bit "sleepy" for a while, which he was.

I have this vision of a Cocker laying back on the sofa with a big splff  all chilled out ;)
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 04:17:38 PM »
Thanks for the reassurance.  She seems fine.  Snoozing next to me on the sofa at the moment.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 04:21:28 PM »
Unfortunately food put out attracts rats as much as birds!!

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 04:24:13 PM »
Unfortunately food put out attracts rats as much as birds!!

I am sure in this case it attracts rats and mice and certainly Pippa much more than any birds. 

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 05:10:07 PM »

LOL :rofl1:

I have this vision of a Cocker laying back on the sofa with a big splff  all chilled out ;)
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 05:48:38 PM »

I can understand putting food out for the birds but slices of cake and whole pieces of buttered bread  :huh:  It didn't look like the birds had been near them.  At least the neighbours are a nice couple and don't mind my occasional visits to the garden to retrieve a very naughty greedy spaniel.

I have a neighbour who in the past used to chuck a whole lot of leftovers into the park. Brodie used to have a field day if I made the mistake of letting her off the lead without checking - and we are talking fry ups, sausages, left over burgers etc >:D. I really couldn't understand it, why throw meat out? The person knew a lot of dogs walk through that park.

If it happened now I would not be a happy bunny, as it could make Brodie very ill - and the person would get a lovely vet bill through their door :shades:.

Hope Pippa suffers no after effects!

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 06:16:08 PM »
Our first dog ate about a third of my Mum's chocolate birthday cake which we very stupidly left in reach when we all went out!

Apart from looking like a barrel for a day, she was fine, but I was very worried. I'd just keep a close eye on her and see how she goes.
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline dawn

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 07:07:09 AM »
Henry ate half a Xmas cake this Xmas. It was in a Tupperware dish on the work top. He knocked the Tupperware dish on the floor, the top sprung off, and hay presto ...... Cake feast!  >:D

It was homemade by my mum too. Needless to say it was followed by an emergency trip to the vets who made him sick! The 'Little terror' was fine, unlike the cake.  >:D

Offline debbiedaywalker

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 08:16:22 AM »
I hope Pippa is okay this morning, my girly stole a huge slab of chocolate (she must have willed it towards her as it was well out of reach!) I was out of my mind with worry, but luckily she didn't suffer any ill effects  :013:

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 08:58:09 AM »
Pippa seems to have escaped with no ill effects at all.  It's just Barney who's still not 100% and was sick again this morning.  I have no idea what he's been up to.

Offline VeeBee

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 12:32:57 PM »
My elderly neighbour use to put all her leftovers on the bird table for the birds, everything, chip shop chips, roast dinners, bread, meat trimmings, stale stuff from the local bakers,  I mean all her left overs. No worries with the dog as food was put high up. Just large pigeons who had difficulty taking off and very large bird droppings. No longer a problem as I moved house.