Author Topic: Being sick during the night  (Read 5728 times)

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
Re: Being sick during the night
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2013, 03:16:24 PM »
if he's  more  active  he'll probably be hungrier.

He used to be sick in the night (bile) quite  often,  but  since  switching  his  food,he's  been  eating  better  and  it's  happened  less,  well  basically never  really :)

Thanks, will try the zantac and  the light supper first.

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2013, 04:58:55 PM »
Ozzy also brings up a little bile sometime during the night - probably 3 or 4 times a week.  He always gets biscuits at bedtime, sometime between 10 - 1030 pm.  We've stopped worrying about it now, but if it starts to occur too often, we give him a Zantac at bedtime for a few days and it seems to sort him out for a bit.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2013, 05:29:25 PM »
Ozzy also brings up a little bile sometime during the night - probably 3 or 4 times a week.  He always gets biscuits at bedtime, sometime between 10 - 1030 pm.  We've stopped worrying about it now, but if it starts to occur too often, we give him a Zantac at bedtime for a few days and it seems to sort him out for a bit.

Thats reassuring Pip, Hope this works with riley,
Poor ozzy, is there nothing that he escapes ! :luv:

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2013, 08:35:47 PM »
Harry used to do this usually at about 5am then again at 6ish most nights. After advice on here I started giving him some supper and found that in order to stop bringing up the bile he needs a good handful of biscuits.  I was worried that would make him want to go out at night to the loo, but it doesn't.  I usually give him the biscuits as late as possible, when we go to bed and it is very rare he does it now.

hope you get it sorted  :lol2:

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2013, 07:39:35 AM »
Feel like Im forever on this, Riley was given the anti sickness liquid at 6pm, then the zantac at  8ish, he had a little bit chicken and rice at 9pm
About 2am I was awakened by him licking his lips and swallowing, it passed and he went back to sleep (me much later)
Then 6.30am again swallowing hard, licking lips and quite wet mouth, just got him into the bathroom in time where he brought up one lot of bile.

Came down and gave him breakfast which he wolfed down.
Im really wondering what has caused this upset.
I asked the vet could he have swallowed something thats lying in his tummy, he didnt seem to think so as he said he would have thought he would be sick more, and bring up food etc.

Im stumped really. I cant really feed him that much later, I could go to 10pm I suppose but Riley is usually out for the count about 9.30pm.
Now thinking of his food JWB, but he has been thriving on that since he was about 10 weeks old.  :-\

Offline abkb

• Donator
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2013, 07:45:45 AM »
Jane have you read this;

http://voices.yahoo.com/causes-vomiting-yellow-bile-dogs-10468293.html?cat=53 it talks about it potentially being an empty stomach, but also IBD.

I'm no expert, but could you try giving him a biscuit when he wakes the first time at 2am?

Hope the mystery is solved soon xx
Karen, owned by Molly B the blue roan show cocker, D.O.B 02/08/2011, and Finley the orange and white show cocker, D.O.B 19/01/2013

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2013, 07:55:52 AM »
Thank you Karen. It does seem really common. Im just puzzled to why its suddenly happened, wondering if its something Ive done etc.
Or even if he has eaten something that is stuck and is only irritated by empty stomach.

The vet is a nice guy but I feel all he wants to do really is hand out prescription after prescrition, he almost was trying to suggest an injection for riley till I made it clear that it wasnt a normal sickness he had.

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2013, 08:37:24 AM »
When I took Ruby to the vet after this happened to her a few times, they didn't even mention that it might just be an empty stomach! I only found it by googling.

I wonder if Riley's tum is just a bit irritated now, maybe try the supper/Zantac for a few days and see if it settles more? Could you wake him at 10 and give him a biscuit or two?

Hope he is right again soon.
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2013, 09:33:54 AM »
When I took Ruby to the vet after this happened to her a few times, they didn't even mention that it might just be an empty stomach! I only found it by googling.

I wonder if Riley's tum is just a bit irritated now, maybe try the supper/Zantac for a few days and see if it settles more? Could you wake him at 10 and give him a biscuit or two?

Thanks I will do that,  what helped ruby?

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2013, 09:46:06 AM »
William used to throw up yellow bile during the night several times each week when he was on JWB adult food, less so when he was on the puppy food. With William it went hand in hand with sensitive skin and recurring lip fold and ear infections. They all improved a lot when I changed him to Burns and then stopped altogether when I changed him to a raw diet.

So it might be worth thinking of changing Riley's food ultimately, but as Ruby Tuesday has said, it could be that his stomach is irritated right now and needs some time to settle with the help of the Zantac. If it settles then starts up again when you stop using Zantac perhaps JWB no longer suits him.

William and Louis always have a couple of biscuits before bedtime, usually at about 11.00 or 11.30pm when I let them out for their pre-bedtime pee.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2013, 09:54:32 AM »
William used to throw up yellow bile during the night several times each week when he was on JWB adult food, less so when he was on the puppy food. With William it went hand in hand with sensitive skin and recurring lip fold and ear infections. They all improved a lot when I changed him to Burns and then stopped altogether when I changed him to a raw diet.

So it might be worth thinking of changing Riley's food ultimately, but as Ruby Tuesday has said, it could be that his stomach is irritated right now and needs some time to settle with the help of the Zantac. If it settles then starts up again when you stop using Zantac perhaps JWB no longer suits him.

William and Louis always have a couple of biscuits before bedtime, usually at about 11.00 or 11.30pm when I let them out for their pre-bedtime pee.

Its funny as he has only been on adult jwb for 2 months now, touch wood he hadt had any allergies, but definately look at this if zantac fails. Glad william is ok now.

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2013, 11:15:24 AM »

Just giving her a handful of her normal kibble around 10pm :)
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2013, 11:55:19 AM »

Just giving her a handful of her normal kibble around 10pm :)

Thanks hope it works for us.

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2013, 01:23:30 PM »
Sorry Riley is still having problems with being sick. Hope some of the suggestions on here prove helpful. You must be really concerned. Hugs to the boy. :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2013, 02:57:59 PM »

Thats reassuring Pip, Hope this works with riley,
Poor ozzy, is there nothing that he escapes ! :luv:

Haha - not a lot!!!!  But when you think of the amount of foreign objects that he consumes, we should be grateful that he seems to have a garbage disposal stomach!!!! :005:  Just been reading about the JWB - Ozzy is now on the junior, and will be changing to the adult in a couple of months.  If it continues then, I might think of changing to something else, although I can't blame the food as he was doing it long before he was on JWB.  It started some time after his tummy bug a few months ago.