Author Topic: Pippa is on three legs  (Read 1335 times)

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
Pippa is on three legs
« on: April 10, 2013, 11:36:35 AM »
Hi

Just looking for some advice as to whether Pippa needs to go to the vet today or whether I would be okay to monitor her for a while.  Last July she developed a limp on her right rear leg.  We went to the vets who said it was probably her cruciate ligament.  He gave her painkillers and said to come back after 3 days if she wasn't back to normal.  After the 3 days were up she was as right as rain.

Last night she started limping on her right rear leg and this morning is hopping around on three legs, not putting any weight on the affected leg.  I have had a look and her pads are fine so it's definitely one of her joints.  OH thinks hip but could be cruciate.  She seems to be in discomfort rather than pain. 

I know that last time having the painkillers made her think she was fine to tear around like her usual crazy self so would prefer her not to have them unless really necessary.  If you were me, would you take her to the vets today or wait?  I am so useless when it comes to decisions like this, usually running there at the drop of a hat so any advice would be great.  Thanks.

Offline JohnK

• Donator
  • Produced for Minnie, Dennis and Rosie
Re: Pippa is on three legs
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 11:38:43 AM »
Always best to ere on the cautious side and let the vets have a look

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 11:51:24 AM »
I would take her to the vet and as soon as you can. I would also not be afraid to use painkillers. I know you say she tears around but I would rather give pain relief and crate rest than no pain relief.
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 11:53:43 AM »
Thanks John and Sheryl, will call them now and look out the crate.

edit: booked in at 2.50 this afternoon.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 01:17:00 PM »
Hope it's not her cruciate, just something simple that just needs a bit of TLC :blink:

Offline LilahLoo

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 01:20:56 PM »
Hope you get on ok - I don't think you'd have peace of mind until you saw the vet, you're doing the right thing.

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 01:57:33 PM »
Fingers crossed its something easy to sort out and not her cruciate...  xx
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 03:28:00 PM »
Only just seen this, poor Pippa, fingers and paws crossed :luv:
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 05:13:48 PM »
Thanks for the good wishes.  The vet thinks it's just a strain/pull and has given her painkillers for the next 5 days.  She has to rest, no walks.  However, she seems much better already even though she hasn't had the painkillers yet (she has to have them after tea).  The main thing now is stopping her jumping up and down from the sofa - not an easy task.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 05:24:10 PM »
I've had the same thing with Caoimhe last night and today, got her back from a pretty high-speed training session after work last night and noticed she was favouring her back left leg. Within a couple of hours she wasn't putting it down at all so I poked and prodded and flexed all the joints and thought it might be her paw as she would lick her lips when I pressed her toes and the side of her foot. She wasn't overly bothered by it though and was fine in herself, no yelping or feeling sorry for herself, she was running around as much as usual just on 3 legs. I called the vet just in case and they said to keep her still overnight (luckily it was overnight as that's the only time she is still :005:) and call back in the morning if she was no better. They mentioned a possible infection due to foreign body or the dreaded 'c' word which of course got me worrying even though I was pretty sure it was her paw and not her leg. She was still hopping this morning so I took her in and it's her metatarsal on the outside toe. It's not broken but she's caught and twisted the toe or something and the joint is a bit swollen and obviously sore. She's on Metacam and rest (ha! ph34r) for a few days but it looks like she's done something more dramatic with the hopping around on 3 legs!
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline JohnK

• Donator
  • Produced for Minnie, Dennis and Rosie
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 06:30:57 PM »
Cockers seem to be able to convince you there is something seriously wrong with them, then when they forget, they bounce around as normal. We had similar with Minnie, I was getting quite concerned, then suddenly everything is ok again  >:D >:D

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 06:41:25 PM »
Aye but they can also convince you all is ok when they are actually quite poorly! I'm glad it wasn't anything too serious chick hope she improves soon x
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Jasper love

• Beautiful Jasper
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 08:50:24 PM »
Glad Pippa seems to be recovering, I hope it continues and she's feeling better in the morning x

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 09:01:01 PM »
I've had the same thing with Caoimhe last night and today, got her back from a pretty high-speed training session after work last night and noticed she was favouring her back left leg. Within a couple of hours she wasn't putting it down at all so I poked and prodded and flexed all the joints and thought it might be her paw as she would lick her lips when I pressed her toes and the side of her foot. She wasn't overly bothered by it though and was fine in herself, no yelping or feeling sorry for herself, she was running around as much as usual just on 3 legs. I called the vet just in case and they said to keep her still overnight (luckily it was overnight as that's the only time she is still :005:) and call back in the morning if she was no better. They mentioned a possible infection due to foreign body or the dreaded 'c' word which of course got me worrying even though I was pretty sure it was her paw and not her leg. She was still hopping this morning so I took her in and it's her metatarsal on the outside toe. It's not broken but she's caught and twisted the toe or something and the joint is a bit swollen and obviously sore. She's on Metacam and rest (ha! ph34r) for a few days but it looks like she's done something more dramatic with the hopping around on 3 legs!

Sorry to hear about Caoimhe but am glad it wasn't anything more serious. I am sure Pippa just has a very low pain threshold. She is being very good so far about taking it easy and just enjoying cuddles and pampering. Are you managing to get Caiome to stay still?

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 09:02:40 PM »
Glad Pippa seems to be recovering, I hope it continues and she's feeling better in the morning x

Thanks. She seems settled on the metacam.