Author Topic: Micro-chip worry - panic over now  (Read 364 times)

Offline Evadee

Micro-chip worry - panic over now
« on: April 13, 2013, 08:54:24 AM »
Whilst having cuddles last night we discovered that Jakes micro-chip is literally on the surface on the skin and looks like it is about to break through.  It feels like a scab and the skin around the micro-chip is starting to crack slightly  :o

He is now 19 months old and was micro-chipped when he was either 8 or 10 weeks at one of his jab sessions.

I have just phoned the vets and got an appointment for this morning, receptionist was very surprised, said it shouldn't happen (obviously!) and the vet will assess and decide what to do.

Anyone had any experience or know of this happening before?  I'm guessing they will remove the chip before it pops out and have to do him all over again?    :-\

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: Micro-chip breaking out!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 09:27:38 AM »
Not had experience of one coming to the surface, but my sister's cat had his chip migrate to the base of his tail!  How annoying. Hope it's sorted soon.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
Re: Micro-chip breaking out!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 10:13:55 AM »
My Inca's chip is 1/2 way down her front right leg, which is really annoying as when the vet scans they never check that far down, just from her neck  and 1/2 way down her body.  I have to point it out to them, I have had a tag made to say she is chipped and where it's to.

Offline Evadee

Re: Micro-chip worry - panic over now
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 10:58:35 AM »
Back from the vets, all ok it was a scab!  ph34r  I blame the OH  :005:

Vet did locate the chip on Jake by hand as well after scanning first to make sure it was properly in place, very relieved!

Jake did have a couple of scabs on his shoulder which vet pulled off, one was shaped oblong and the vet even scanned it initially to check it wasn't the chip embedded!

Vet said to keep an eye on how many scabs and how often he gets them as a couple is ok but if more frequent could possibly indicate a skin condition.  Strange he had a couple at the moment as he has only just started off lead walks/rambles again after being neutered last month  :huh:  I guess it only takes the one wild walk with a cocker to pick up a couple of minor skin wounds though...