Author Topic: Booster injections - a thing of the past!  (Read 5180 times)

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
Re: Booster injections - a thing of the past!
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2013, 10:37:55 AM »
I received lots of info from Jean if anyone is interested, I can email them copies.  Lesley
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2013, 01:01:21 PM »
Why don't you email Jean Dodds with your question re low titres?  Not passing the buck by any means but it would be really interesting to see what her take is on it?

From what you are saying your dogs are vaccinated as is mine - that is not in question.  No-one has ever said don't vaccinate your dog.  The additional boostering is the issue here.  How many dogs would have died from these diseases if they had just had the vaccination and not a yearly booster?  That is the research we need.
Ok. Will pass on what she responds with.

Yes, that research is needed, but at present nobody knows how safe it is to stop boostering altogether, so potentially lots of dogs could be at risk if everybody just stopped doing it over fears of tenuous links to AI disorders, and no accurate way to measure antibodies.  Research of any kind requires substantial funding as well as time and until actual hypotheses have been proven or not, the 3 year period between boosters seems reasonable to me.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2013, 01:11:10 PM »
Conversely without this research you can't prove that it is the boostering that has protected your dogs or the initial vaccinations that have given them lifelong protection, therefore boostering could also be described as 'tenuous'  :shades:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2013, 01:28:37 PM »
My initial post said there is not enough info on either side  :shades: Accepted vet vaccination protocol as it is  however, has kept some horrendous diseases under control - there is irrefutable proof of this. The ill-effects directly attributable to boostering, though, haven't yet been proven. Anyway, this is going round in circles. All I meant to say was read as much as you can, talk to your vet and make a decision based on all the evidence linked to your own personal circumstances and perception of risk (I think I did say this somewhere!!)
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2013, 02:01:38 PM »
oh I've repeated myself for pages as it seems to be misread including mentioning several times about doing your own research and making your own decisions!  Yes I'll close this one now as it has gone around in circles for a long time  ph34r
helen & jarvis x