Author Topic: Frankie losing a lot more fur than usual  (Read 694 times)

Offline deano

• Site Member
Frankie losing a lot more fur than usual
« on: May 29, 2013, 04:37:10 PM »
Frankie had another steroid injection last Friday, is also on another course of antibiotics and having to have steroid cream rubbed on his nose, head and back of his leg twice a day.  He normally loves being brushed and is always the first to come and sit down as soon as the grooming box comes out but the last week he just goes down the side of the sofa or will lay in the hall and wont come near me, I managed to coax him yesterday and but as I brushed him there was so much fur coming out in his brush (a lot more than usual).  The same thing happened today and now i don't know if I am over thinking but his fur seems a lot thinner all over.  We are still waiting for the blood test the vet took last Friday and Frankie isn't due to go back unless the nose and patches on his skin haven't healed this time round.   This is now the third time he has had the cream, antibiotics and steroid injection since December.  Has anyone else had similar situation with any of these treatments. Am really worried its more than an allergy and there's a bigger underlying reason

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Frankie losing a lot more fur than usual
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 05:34:18 PM »
Steroids cause hair loss and thinning in humans AND dogs  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline deano

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 05:41:01 PM »
Thanks ... he doesn't seem himself either, seems very quiet. I was worried about the side affects but this is the third time it's come back and the vet seems t think this is the only way of treating it until we get to the bottom of investigations which could take ages as the first blood test only just been taken :embarassed:

Offline Helly D

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 07:43:11 PM »
Do you mind if I ask what his problems are?

Offline deano

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 10:35:01 AM »
Am sorry this is going to be long and drawn out but to give you the background ....Unfortunately we have no previous history on Frankie as he was in a refuge in Spain when I found him on their website, a month or so after we brought him home the refuge did an update on him and the other dog that were dumped in the garden of a villa to let everyone know how they were doing in their new lives. They did publish the original owners name and from that I traced her and wrote her a message saying that he had a new home with two other Cockers etc but asked could we have some information on age, any health issues so we could pass on to our vet ... my message was ignored as were my other two that followed.   Frankie was fine for the final year that we lived in Spain and continued to be from Nov 2011 until December 2012 when he developed some tiny lumps on the top of his head, soon after that his nose started to get very dry )although he had never had a wet nose like the other two dogs) it became very crusty either side of the nostrils and after this there were two red sores which looked very painful, by this time he had been to the vet and was given a steroid injection and put on a course of antibiotics, we were told to clean the area with warm salt water twice a day, dry it and apply Fuciderm.  (he also had a crusty type lump on the back of his front leg, the vet thought it was some kind of allergy,  but suggested we would try the injections, tablets and cream and see if it cleared)This seemed to work and the leg cleared up really well as did the top of his head, The nose was about 70% better but he seemed much better in himself.   After a few weeks of being fine the whole thing started again, Frankie was licking his paws constantly, the small bumps were back on his head, which are like tiny scabs we would get if we were constantly scratching, only he wasn't doing this.. and his nose was worse, we went back to the vets paid and repeated the whole process again with the same conclusion until 2 weeks ago when this started again. I returned to the vets last week as I had to wait a week to see the regular vet and he said he's almost certain that its some kind of allergy but it could be one of many things, he suggested taking a blood test to check for one particular thing ( because I was so upset I didn't write it down but remember he said there was an operation that they could do, which sounded horrendous, but basically meant it was to do with nasal passages and they could drill 2 small holes in Frankie's head and put some tubes in through his nose... I don't know if this is the right way of explaining it but would have to find out more) anyway Frankie was given another steroid injection, the same course of tablets of which is has been taking since last Friday and has 3 more days to go and we are still washing with warm salt water, drying and using the cream.  His head is getting slightly better, but still looks like a skin allergy that has been scratched.  his leg not clearing as well as before and his nose is much better than it was but still crusty either side and as you lift the black part of his nose up each side, its like the skin is dry and split, as soon as i clean it, it comes up white in colour with red in it... hard to explain really unless you see it.. 

I dont know what food he was given at the refuge but know that it wouldnt have been good food and he would have been lucky to eat his food with all the other dogs wandering around, we gave him Royal Canin from day one with no problems healthwise at all, he was on this around 2 and half years until March when we changed him to  Natures Best dry food. The skin and nose problems started at the end of last year so after talking to the vet we think its not the food. we changed from the royal canine  because we were advised the natures best would be better for him...  So we are now waiting for this blood test to come back and not really sure where we are going, last week was 160pds and when we go back there will be more investigations, blood tests and treatment so cost is rising and we feel we are not getting anywhere.  This week he doesnt really want to be brushed and when I did brush him I feel that his fur seems thinned out but cant be sure its just not me over worrying and seeing things that are not there..  I just want to get to the bottom of it really, he is the most beautiful dog, has had a tough time being dumped by his owners and given to another family who left him, he was then reunited with his original owner when she heard that both her dogs were left in the heat outside with no food and just the pool water to drink but then had to face more trauma as she took both dogs to the refuge and left them because she didnt want to bring them back to the uk, he was separated from his best friend when he was rehomed a week after he went to the refuge, by the time I saw him which was just 3 weeks after he was extremely nervous, I was told he tried to follow the volunteers everywhere they went and was very depressed and had almost given up, he was scared of the other dogs.. He fitted in really well my our other two, no jealousy or problems, and was very settled, but he does have separation anxiety if i try to take one of the other dogs out and he is left, he has to have a soft toys with him all the time and is never without one.  It just so strange that this started after all the time we had him and also we were back here a year before any problems, so he spent the winter here and all of last summer which makes me think it cant be something in the garden...

Offline henryjack1dogs

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 11:25:46 AM »
Hi, I don't have any experience to offer you on this but just wanted to say, well done for taking Frankie on and for looking out for him.  I do hope your vet gets to the bottom of it all and Frankie is more himself soon.  After all his history he certainly landed on his feet with you :)

Offline Saffaroo

• Donator
  • both my girls safely at the bridge xx
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 12:44:28 PM »
Hi - so sorry to hear about Frankie.  May I ask, when was he last tested for Leishmaniasis? (sandfly) disease?

Dillon the Cavvie
Saffy dog 22.5.2000 - 4.12.2012
Shelley boo 25.3.2005 - 19.7.2011

Offline deano

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 05:55:22 PM »
He had to be tested before we left Spain and everything fine with him.   

:blink: thank you for saying that, there are far too many dogs in similar or worse situations in Spain, I like to think we were meant to find him as we took Alfie from the same refuge and he also had a terrible life, two was going to be our limit and my OH was adamant that we couldn't have a third but I decided to have a quick look in their website and the first pic that came on the screen was Frankie  :blink: ... I rang the refuge without telling my OH, asked Bout his background and told them I would collect him the next day.... I feel sad the way he was treated and has suffered by what his owners did ( as i later discovered money was not a problem, far from it... But through their actions we found an amazing little boy who we love to bits.

Offline Saffaroo

• Donator
  • both my girls safely at the bridge xx
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 06:46:13 PM »
Well, at least Sandfly is something that can be ruled out then.  You must be so very worried about him; I really hope that you get some answers soon and Frankie can get treated.  I hope that you don't mind that I asked about Sandfly - it's endemic here (Maltese islands) almost every dog our small refuge picks up off the streets tests positive  :'(

Keep us posted and best wishes.

Dillon the Cavvie
Saffy dog 22.5.2000 - 4.12.2012
Shelley boo 25.3.2005 - 19.7.2011

Offline deano

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 08:41:25 PM »
Of course I don't mind, sandfly was a huge problem in Spain as well, and we wanted to be sure that both our rescues were clear of that, it wouldn't have changed our minds in giving them a home because once you have knowledge you can deal with it.  Our good friends in Spain took in a beautiful stray who they discovered had sandfly but she is still with them 6 years later and sees the vet regularly, she has a great life with their other 3 dogs, all who found our friends rather than our friends finding them  :blink:

I just want to find out the cause because its so hard not knowing and thinking it could be something simple we can change, his nose gets so sore, I think that is worse than the rash on his head and legs but we hate to see him unhappy and licking uncomfortable,  it's hard with the fuciderm cream as well because as soon as I put it around the cracks and sore of his nose he licks it...