Author Topic: anal gland cancer  (Read 3166 times)

Offline Gillsy64

anal gland cancer
« on: May 18, 2013, 07:34:00 PM »
My beautiful blue roan boy,Jarvis, was diagnosed with this horrible disease in January 2012. He will be 8 in July this year. He had the op to remove the tumour, or as much of it as they could and he recovered well. At time of diagnosis the vet said he couldn't be sure how long he would be with us, but average life span after diagnosis is 8 months. He is still with us, enjoying his food, cuddles and generally being spoilt. Vet is really pleased with him. I was wondering if other cocker owners had experience of this horrible disease? As time goes on I feel the end must be coming soon so instead of enjoying him as I should I am always lookIing for signs. I don't want to lose him :'(

Offline butterflywings21

• Tilly 10/02/2013~Jenson 09/01/2019
Re: anal gland cancer
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 07:36:55 PM »
i can't help but I'm sure someone can.....sending big  :bigarmhug: and take a day at a time x

Offline cjealing

• millie & me.
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 07:52:47 PM »
Enjoy every day & thank God every morning when you greet the day.. Its awfull but he's relying on you to be strong & show him the way.. Good luck, stay as strong as you can for as long as you can.. then live on lovely memories..  :bigarmhug:

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 07:54:10 PM »
My aunt lost her beautiful cocker, Bliss, to this awful disease, sadly only seven weeks after diagnosis. The prognosis was initially a year, but it spread and the vet at the Royal Dick Vet in Edinburgh was shocked at how fast. She said it was the last thing she was expecting. One thing I can say though - she didn't suffer. She was perfectly well in herself and in no pain, right until the end.

I can't imagine how hard it is for you, but it sounds like he is doing amazing and living a good and happy life, and that is the important thing. I have no advice but to love him all you can :luv:. Must be so hard watching him all the time :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 08:21:26 PM »
So very sorry Jarvis has had this illness.  Sending him lots of love and hope he will be by your side for many more years.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 08:25:33 PM »
So sorry to hear about Jarvis.  :bigarmhug:
I lost my last blue roan boy Dickon to this horrid horrid disease. He went to the bridge on his 11th birthday about 6 weeks after being diagnosed. Surgery or treatment of any kind was not an option for him. I asked three different vets but they all agreed there was nothing that could be done. Oddly, apart from a little constipation he had no other symptoms at all. He was only diagnosed because I was suspicious about the constipation and asked them to do an examination of his rear end. Unfortunately he suffered chronic pancreatitis and stress often brought on an attack. The biopsy alone made him very very ill with a bout and we knew that any treatment would probably tip him over the edge.
He coped amazingly well once he was over the pancreatitis bout, never showing any signs of being so desperately ill. I made sure we had a wonderful last few weeks together. In the end it was actually megacolon (due to the tumours blocking his exit passage) as well as secondary tumours elsewhere that meant I had to make the decision to let him go to the bridge.
This is the last picture of him, taken just a few days before I lost him. Still as playful as ever.  :luv:

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 08:33:51 PM »
I have no experience of this but I know how hard it is watching a beloved dog get older and wondering when you will lose them.

Take comfort from the fact that he has no idea of any of this, and I wish you lots more happy times together.
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline Gillsy64

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 09:04:17 AM »
Thank you for all your kind thoughts. I have noticed over past week or so that although he doesn't appear to be in any pain or discomfort , his poos are getting flatter which must mean the cancer is getting bigger. I will have to get an appointment at the vets to get it checked out this week. Dreading it though because it won't be good news but I have to make sure my boy is not suffering.

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 09:08:49 AM »
I have no experience of this but I know how hard it is watching a beloved dog get older and wondering when you will lose them.

Take comfort from the fact that he has no idea of any of this, and I wish you lots more happy times together.

I agree with Ruby Tuesday it is very hard watching them  :luv: but you will know when it is time call it instinct but we knew with Poppy it's almost as if they are telling you in their own way  :luv: enjoy your time with your fur baby  :luv: x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 12:24:02 AM »
Hi....

I am so, so sorry to read this.

We lost Freya in May last year.  Sadly by the time hers was diagnosed it was too late for surgery, and chemo was not an option as her general health was not considered good enough.

It is the saddest decision we've ever had to make......but we had to let her go to the bridge.  She was struggling to pass anything and was just in so much discomfort.

I feel for you and your babe.  Enjoy every moment of you have together. Xxx
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 10:03:45 AM »
Enjoy each precious day with your very special boy, sending lots of healing thoughts to Jarvis  :luv: :luv: and  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: to you.
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 05:35:03 PM »
Thinking of Jarvis and hoping with all my heart that he is by your side for a long time yet.

Offline carol pearson

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 12:45:09 PM »
Thinking of you and Jarvis, I really feel for you, enjoy ever precious day with him.

A small lump was found in one of Ozzy's anal glands about 6 months ago, the gland was removed and although the lump was cancerous it was felt by my vet and the lab that it was caught early and had not spread.

We were lucky, but it is always on my mind, what if they are wrong and it has spread!!!!!!!!

Offline Gillsy64

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 07:03:44 AM »
I took Jarvis back to vets yesterday and the bad news is that the cancer is back,he has a large lump on right side of anal passage hence the reason his poos are getting flatter. The vet is getting in touch with Edinburgh uni to ask what the best treatment for him since he is so full of life just now. If they don't recommend treatment then he will be given stool softeners .  Hopefully will get back to me today and will know where we go from here   :'(

Offline honeysmun

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 07:24:26 AM »
Just want to send you and Jarvis as many of these
  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: