Author Topic: My poorly girl has blood in stools  (Read 3704 times)

Offline jemcee

• Site Member
My poorly girl has blood in stools
« on: June 24, 2013, 01:30:45 PM »
Hello there!

I just wondered if I can turn to your expertise for a little advice. Let me tell you a little about the situation.

Molly is 11 years old and has arthritis for which she takes Rimadyl and Antepsin daily normally for. Last Tuesday evening I heard Moll running around upstairs and called her down to see her face had swollen up dramatically. It was obviously an allergic reaction but to what? I took her straight to the vets who couldn't give her steroids because of her being on Rimadyl. She was given antihistamine, Chlorphenamine, and an injection of Rimadyl to "top up" her dose and take the swelling down. Within 24 hours of this Molly had started vomiting bile and having diarrhoea. I stopped her Rimadyl and gave her a bland diet but after a further 24 hours she had totally lost her appetite and was now having bloody mucousy diarrhoea. I immediately booked her back in to the vets where the vet took one look at her, took her temperature  which was over 40'C  and admitted her. She spent two days having IV antibiotics, fluids, anti-emetics, ranitidine and meds for the diarrhoea. We brought her home yesterday as the vomiting has stopped, the diarrhoea had nearly settled but she wouldn't eat. We knew she wouldn't eat until she came home because she is a stubborn little madam!! Sure enough as soon as she was home and saw George , our other Cocker, eat she wanted in too! Now I am getting to the point!! This morning the bloody diarrhoea has started again. She is still on Metronidazole, ranitidine and antepsin and I have just been to the vet to get some Canigest for her but her temperature is still up and she is shivering. She has a very healthy appetite now which is much better but I am worried about the shivering and the return of the bloody stools. Speaking to the vet she has advised to try the Canigest for 24 hours and see how she is then but I am still worrying.

What would you do?
Sorry about the epic life story, it's been a hell of a weekend!! I don't want to lose my little girl, sorry if I seem neurotic.  :016: :016:

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance
Jemma
Jemma, George & Django. (RIP Molly xxx)

Offline JohnK

• Donator
  • Produced for Minnie, Dennis and Rosie
Re: My poorly girl has blood in stools
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 01:41:31 PM »
I can't help on this one except to say I hope she gets better very soon  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 01:49:41 PM »
No thoughts or advice but I hope she feels better soon.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline jemcee

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 01:57:53 PM »
Thank you for your good wishes! She is laying on the sofa under a blanket at the minute. I am not used to a calm Cocker!!

Offline Helly D

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 02:28:54 PM »
Hope she gets better soon. If she's not picked up by this evening I would contact the vet again.

Offline coopersmum

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 02:41:06 PM »
Poor girl, I'm sure you're really worried about her. Is it dark blood in her poo or red? Am asking because it can give an indication of where the bleeding is coming from. Dark/blackish usually means its from the stomach, whilst red means its from lower down the intestinal tract. Is she back on the rimadyl? Have they run bloods?  Sorry for all my questions. Like others have said,  I would definitely get hold of the vet later if she isn't any better. Poor girl!

Offline jemcee

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 02:55:52 PM »
The blood is bright red. They have run bloods and it didn't show any major infection, just dehydration that they have treated with IV fluids over the weekend. The vet said if there was no major improvement by Wednesday they will have her hback and do a scan of her bowels and stomach to see if they can see anything but I don't think I am going to be able to wait until then.

Ask as many questions as you wish....any help and advice is gratefully received. Thank you

Offline coopersmum

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 03:58:09 PM »
To be honest, I would go with my gut feeling and if you feel she's not okay rather take her back, especially if she still has a high temp. I think a scan is a good idea, it can give a lot of information. I'm sure your vets on the ball but maybe a faecal exam will give an answer as to whether it could be related to parasites although I doubt it. Hope your little one is feeling better soon. Sorry, I'm not much help.

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 04:22:55 PM »
If she has blood in her stools I wouldn't wait until Wednesday.  Have you rung today and told them it's started again with blood in it?

Offline jemcee

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 07:56:28 PM »
Yes I rang them straight away and told them about the blood. They said to give the Canigest 24 hours and then call them in the morning. She has had two doses of the Canigest and so far no more diarrhoea so fingers crossed the other meds can do their job. She is still feeling very sorry for herself but she is eating,  drinking and urinating well.

In answer to an earlier question I have stopped the Rimadyl and she won't be going back on it.

My other Cocker George is very perplexed as to why Molly is getting fresh Chicken for her dinner and he is getting biscuits lol!!  :huh:

We will see how we go overnight and I will keep you all updated xx

Offline Letichia

• Site Member
  • Maverick
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 08:38:01 PM »
So sorry to hear about your poorly Molly. Sorry i don't have any adivce but hope she gets better soon :bigarmhug:
Letichia, Lilly, Polo and Maverick x

Offline Helly D

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 09:54:43 PM »
I think you are wise to avoid the Rimadyl. A lot of dogs are fine on it but there have been many cases where dogs have been seriously affected by it and even died. I must admit alarm bells were ringing when you first posted about her symptoms but she doesn't really fit the picture of side effects so I doubt it is the cause but it's wise to be cautious. My own vets are a bit wary of using it and I must admit I use it for no longer than 3 days if Rosie needs it and she has a tiny amount which is enough to take the edge of her pain. She has arthritis in her hocks and a back that goes into muscular spasm on occasion.

My holistic vet advised giving her a supplement called Mobile Bones from Pooch and Mutt http://poochandmutt.co.uk/product/mobile-bones-joint-bone-supplement-for-dogs/?gclid=CPuAvsbI_bcCFeXItAodTVcALg and we have found it amazing in keeping her mobile. She is 15 and up to the last couple of months was still running around for three or four miles. She is showing her age now with CHF and losing muscle tone in her rear end so is a bit uncoordinated. I also give her salmon oil which is high in omega 3 and also good for joints so it may be worth looking into something like these for her arthritis.

Sounds like she is turning a corner so I hope she continues to improve. Sometimes I think its worse than having kids. At least you can call an ambulance if you are really worried about them.

Offline jemcee

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 11:10:06 PM »
Well I gave in to my gut feelings and took Molly back to the vets tonight.

The vet took her temperature and it was very high so did a full blood screen and urine test. Blood tests showed problems with protein and platelets and that has changed since Saturday so she is back in at 8am for an abdominal scan. The vet seemed very worried as to why her bloods have changed so rapidly and even mentioned the dreaded bowel cancer so we have a nervous wait until later on tomorrow to see what is happening with our poorly Princess  :016:

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 09:03:12 AM »
I hope you get good news tomorrow. Sending positive thoughts for Molly :bigarmhug:

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 09:18:16 AM »
Just caught up with this thread as I'am on my hollibobs  :luv: really hope that everything goes ok at the vets today  :luv: sending you loads of healing thoughts from Crete  :luv: x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x