Author Topic: Help from people who have had their dogs anal glands flushed and packed.  (Read 5774 times)

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
I haven't put on here but Lyla has been very poorly with anal gland infections. One was missed which meant she went days just going downhill. Thanks to my own vet, she is slowly recovering now but even with antibiotic injections, I had to take her back yesterday and her glands were blood filled. I have left her this coming week because my vet is away but I have decisions to make.

I am very reluctant to consider removal as is Laurie because the nerve damage to her back end (when her disc went) makes her more likely to suffer faecal incontinence. It may be something I would consider if we cannot stop her getting infections though. Meantime can anyone shed any light on the flushing and packing procedure? Were they in pain after, did they recover quickly, did it work?

Thanks x
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
Poor Lyla :'( i have no advice Sheryl, i just wanted to send over some healing vibes for your poorly girl :luv: :luv: :bigarmhug:
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Don't know the answers Sheryl, but hope you can find them soon and put Lyla on the road to recovery, a gentle  :bigarmhug: for you both.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Pearl had this done recently and judging from her behaviour after was a lot more comfortable having had the procedure.  It hasn't made much difference tho - she's unwell again at the moment and I suspect its another infection.

Hope Lyla is ok x

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
Cocker kiss :-* and gentle
squeeze for Lyla :luv:

Offline Emilyoliver

Ollie had his flushed and packed last year after recurring infections. He was fine afterwards - no noticeable discomfort. My vet suggested repeating this weekly 3x, and if no improvement - removal. It worked after one, and am super vigilant now so every time he looks even slightly uncomfortable, I take him to have glands emptied. No infection since flushing (so far...).  He also gets a chick wing once/twice a week. Think it helps, but certainly does no harm. Hope you get lyla sorted soon.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
My old girl Honey suffered with anal gland problems  >:( and she had them flushed out but not packed, she was ok with this and never had a problem again  :luv: Sheryl have you tried putting granulated charcoal on her food ? it is an old fashioned thing to do but it might help her  ;) x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Both Vegas & Dallas had this done and it worked beautifully for both. Dallas had it done about 3 years go now and he has had no problems whatsoever. He hasn't even needed to have them emptied - I think Vegas needed to have his emptied once a few years after he had it done, but there was no infection. Dallas got a course of pain relief afterwards but he had developed a fistula. Once they got over the g/a, they were back to normal.

For me, removal would be an absolutely last resort and definitely not without trying the packing first.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline LinziS

• Erin
Erin has continual problems with her anal glands..,needs them emptied on a regular basis and has been treated for infections too. Has had her glands flushed twice but not packed and she was as good as gold...she let them do it in the surgery with no sedation.
She gets bran in her breakfast every morning as her poos are always on the soft side and this just contributes to the problem as they never empty on there own. She is showing signs at the moment of needing them checked ie nibbling the top of her hind leg and occasional scooting.
I have discussed anal gland removal but my vet is very reluctant to go down this road due to the risks involved and I suppose I have to agree...if we can continue to manage the problem without surgery then it got to be better for my girl.

My dogs are heartbeats at my feet

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Never heard of that Dianne. Where do you get it? Been trying bran but it doesn't seem to work. I know Laurie didn't want to remove them because of her nerve damage but I will get John Fergusons opinion on that. He will know what the damage may mean for her. Although, for all her legs didnt work, she was never incontinent before or after her op.

I will give the flush and pack several goes before I get to the last resort stage. I am in no hurry to put her through it, not after everything she has been through already. Thanks all x
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
Re: Help from people who have had their dogs anal glands flushed and packed.
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 08:40:16 PM »
Never heard of that Dianne. Where so you get it? Been trying bran but it doesn't seem to work. I know Laurie didn't want to remove them because of her nerve damage but I will get John Fergusons opinion on that. He will know what the damage may mean for her. Although, for all her legs didnt work, she was never incontinent before or after her op.

I will give the flush and pack several goes before I get to the last resort stage. I am in no hurry to put her through it, not after everything she has been through already. Thanks all x

you can get it from amazon Sheryl   Hatchwells Granulated Charcoal 150g
by Hatchwells   ;)

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 09:35:53 PM »
Charlie had his flushed and packed twice, he had recurrent problems, luckily for him since changing to BARF and having no wheat in his diet, the problem has not returned. Each time he had it done, he was sedated, he was a little grumpy for a couple of days, but was fine afterwards.

Offline LilahLoo

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 10:10:27 PM »
Delilah had hers done towards the end of last year and it did the trick. It felt like we lived at our vet's last year.

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 10:22:43 PM »
Poor Lyla, hope her problem is relieved by something very soon.

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 10:38:12 PM »
Poor Lyla.  Had continuous problems with Freya during her lifetime with anal gland infections.

Hope you find something to help her Sheryl.

Thinking of your girl,  :luv: :luv:
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx