Author Topic: Fraser has a lump on his haunch  (Read 598 times)

Offline tritonx

Fraser has a lump on his haunch
« on: September 08, 2013, 05:17:14 AM »
He's only four. It's about the size of a Canadian quarter (about the size of one pence?), has discrete edges and moves freely under the skin and over the muscle. Needless to say, he's got an appointment with the vet, but not until Monday. Before my mind goes to scary possibilities, I wonder if anyone here has had a cocker with a lump similar to my description. I know dogs get fatty lumps, but I do't kow if they can be identified by characteristics such as those. Meep.

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
Re: Fraser has a lump on his haunch
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 07:30:39 AM »
Right thing to do to get it checked by the vet as he is young for lumps/bumps but from your description sounds like a cyst to me.  Try not to worry too much and hope the vet confirms everythings ok. xx
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 08:29:28 AM »
My first Cocker, Josh, was the king of lumps and bumps from middle age onwards. Luckily they were all harmless (if sometimes annoying) warts, sebaceous cysts and fatty lumps, but of course I worried about each one as I found it, so I understand your concerns  :bigarmhug:

From your description it sounds to me like a fatty lump. Josh had a few and they were all a regular shape and moved under the skin and above the muscle. None of his got big or needed to be removed or caused him any problems.

Hope you get good news from the vet tomorrow :blink:

Offline tritonx

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 09:58:15 PM »
Well, vet said I could have the needle aspiration done right away or wait and see if the lump changes. She thinks it's a fatty lump, but no way to know for sure unless she takes some cells. I've decided to leave it and watch for the kinds of changes she said would be the ones that could be trouble. I'm going away for a couple of days and leaving him in his usual kennels, but I'll alert them to the lump and ask them to keep an eye on it though no matter what it is, it's unlikely to change much in a couple of days. Ruled out abcess as probing the lump hasn't caused any pain and it would have grown markedly if it's infected. It must have come up fast as he gets petted all the time, not only by me but by friends of mine who were visiting over the last couple of weeks.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 10:35:57 PM »
Jarvis has a fatty lump and we know that because we did have it needle aspirated.   I would always have them needle aspirated for piece of mind. It is not that invasive or painful and it does save a lot of stress and worry in the long term  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline tritonx

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 03:23:17 AM »
Yes, I probably will quite soon. I was away only 1 night instead of two, so off to pick him up shortly. I'd rather know for sure than take any chances.