Author Topic: What to expect following spaying  (Read 381 times)

Offline nj.kingston

What to expect following spaying
« on: October 26, 2013, 09:15:53 AM »
Hi all

Maggie is going in to be spayed on Friday. Maggie is our 1st dog so we are unsure what to expect when we get her home and how long it will take her to recover. I've seen a few horror stories where there have been complications but not a lot when all goes to plan.
How did your dogs react?

Offline lettie10

• Jazz & Bailey
Re: What to expect following spaying
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 09:46:42 AM »
Both of mine pretty much slept for the next 24 hours and then thought they were completely recovered >:D >:D >:D

I think the hardest part is trying to stop them basically being cockers as with the pain relief they honestly do feel fine.  Stopping them jumping on furniture (if you allowed them on before) is very difficult but lots of on-lead pee breaks in the garden and keeping a general eye on them all should be good.

A childs babygro or tshirt will help cover the stitches to stop them being licked tends to be more comfortable than the dreaded lampshade.

Hope it all went well for you and Maggie
"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 11:47:13 AM »
Both of mine pretty much slept for the next 24 hours and then thought they were completely recovered >:D >:D >:D

Yes - Roxy did too  >:D

The tip about the babygro is a really good one - around size 18 months should do it and you can do up the poppers up her back to stop her licking when you're not watching her.
Keeping the quiet is the hardest part - good luck
Roxy b.19.05.10  Bobby b.21.08.11
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs think I am.

Offline Rowan Liver Roan

• Rowan Liver Roan
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 11:53:27 AM »
I'm not going to do a big negative post, except to say Rowan really wasn't good at all (I posted here at the time but I'm hopeless with links etc). If I had to do it again, there is practical things I hadn't thought of for Rowan that I'd do different. Rowan was done on a Friday - I would never do that again. It was a weekend of trying to find stranger emergency vets, travelling with a distressed dog a d obviously more expensive. On a practical note, next time (if) I'd do it on a Monday, book the week off work to be there 24/7 and have her own vet available. It might be your dog is fine so none of this is relevant, but if I'd known before it I could have thought about changes. Fingers, toes and eyes crossed she's fine.
Proud to be owned by a cocker spaniel.

Offline Sharpie

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 02:24:36 PM »
Daisy was fine...thankfully it was in the summer with hot weather and that slowed her down naturally..we were really careful with who went near her (inc other dogs and children etc). I work from home so could keep an eye on her, but it was trickier trying to get her not to overdo things..she hardly touched her wound at all and it healed well (I didn't have to worry about using lampshades or t- shirts although they were at the ready)

I, on the other hand, was an emotional wreck for putting her though it. :'(

However, she has recovered with no side effects at all and is still a sweet affectionate dog.

I hope it goes well for you & Maggie :)

Offline Jonmaddock

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 08:00:12 PM »
Ella was spayed quite recently around a month ago, we got her a 18 month babygrow for her, she didn't seem to bother with her little scar, she was very sleepy for the first day, but she woke up almost normal, a good tip the vet said, for the next week treat her as if she's drunk, so watch everything she does.

The hardest thing was stopping the jumping up and down on the sofa,chair,bed,
Side effects, she's eating a lot lot better, her temperament is the same and generally she's had no real side effects
Its Better To Burn Out Then To Fade Away