Author Topic: Operation on Monday  (Read 4620 times)

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
Re: Operation on Monday
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2013, 01:31:20 PM »
Fingers toes and paws crossed  :luv:
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2013, 01:48:39 PM »
thinking tiny grade 1 thoughts for Maddie  :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline White Bryony

• Site Member
  • Woofie 5.5.1999 - 29.4.13
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2013, 05:38:37 PM »
Thank you for all your positive thoughts for Maddie. She is home safe.  :luv:

She is still quite out of it and doesn't know what to do with herself, bless her. Paul is sat at one end of the settee and I am at the other and she is in the middle and we are encouraging her to lie down but then she suddenly wakes up startled.

All three lumps have been removed and we have to wait for the results of the tumour.

I asked the vets to check her teeth and unfortunately she has had to have 5 removed

Lots of cuddles and kisses on the menu for tonight as well as some scrambled egg later if she is hungry

Lisa, Maddie and Woofie (now at the bridge) xx

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2013, 06:06:25 PM »
So glad Maddie is home safely and fingers crossed for positive news on the lumps.

I too was anxious about leaving Jinley at the vets a couple of weeks ago when she was to be spayed.  I wish they had a room at the vets so that you could be with them for their pre-med and also for when they wake up.

Hugs to you all and hope she is feeling brighter tomorrow. 

Offline ali2010

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2013, 06:27:00 PM »
Glad Maddie is back at home and the operations went ok.

Really hope you get good news from the biopsy. Me and Albert are sending you all positive thoughts x

Offline pipkoi

• Donator
  • Butch-my First Cocker Spaniel 18.02.67 - 28.06.75
    • Dylan's Blog
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2013, 06:32:32 PM »
So pleased that she is safely home with you
Lots of gentle hugs to Maddie
Pip, Dylan, Charlie, Teagan & Kai
Remembering Butch, Brin, Simba, Toby, Jasper, Jarvis, Jake,  Bayley, Sailor & Foxy - my forever bridge babies

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Offline Saffaroo

• Donator
  • both my girls safely at the bridge xx
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2013, 07:02:48 PM »
Pleased to hear that she is home - hope that you all have a peaceful and uneventful night - lots of gentle strokes to Maddie as she recovers   xx

Dillon the Cavvie
Saffy dog 22.5.2000 - 4.12.2012
Shelley boo 25.3.2005 - 19.7.2011

Offline JohnK

• Donator
  • Produced for Minnie, Dennis and Rosie
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2013, 09:07:33 PM »
 :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: Specially for Maddie and her mum & dad, such worrying times  :luv:

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2013, 09:11:13 PM »
Glad Maddie is home safely - hope it's good news when the results are back x

Offline natasha-maria

• a messy dog is a happy dog!
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2013, 01:25:31 PM »
Hi there!

I just read your post and thought I had to reply. I'm going through something very similar with my 10/11 year old cocker spaniel, Lola.

My partner and I adopted Lola less than 3 months ago from Spain. Knowing we were getting an older dog, we were of course expecting some health issues but got a lot more than we bargained for! As soon as she arrived I noticed a lot of lumps on both the left and right side of her teats (surrounding and under the nipples) and my heart sank with dread. Some were very big and seemed like multiple lumps stuck together, and some were small and hard. I took her to the vet right away, who did biospies on them all. The results came back that she had "suspicious cells" on both signs which indicated a high chance of breast cancer. We then had blood tests, an ultrasound and x-ray done which showed very good results and that nothing had visibly spread, which was a big relief.
Given her old age and since she was sterilized very late in life (only around 10 yrs), the recommended route to go down was a full mastectomy, i.e. removal of all of the breasts from both sides. This is a pretty big set of operations but, as I now know, not as bad as it sounds (and anyway maybe not necessary for your cocker). So, we had the first op about 1 month ago and the second one yesterday (the vet does one side of teats at a time so needed 2 ops). I have to say - she has recovered remarkably well after such a heavy operation. In fact, she was pretty much back to normal by the third day! After the first operation, we just needed to keep an eye out for infections and have stitches taken out after 10 days. We had to limit her walks for a few weeks too.

So I just wanted to let you know: if it is bad news, there is still a lot of hope! And if your little one does need the full mastectomy, don't worry too much about it as it really isn't as terrible as it sounds. For a couple of days of being uncomfortable, your dog will have a longer and fuller life in the long run. I've been really surprised by how tough dogs are - maybe its a cocker thing  :D ?!

During Lola's recovery time I use Rescue Remedy drops in her water - this was my first time using a homeopathic remedy so I really can't tell if it helps or not, but it certainly didn't make things worse. I also feed 1 teaspoon of plain soy yoghurt daily 2 hours after she'd eaten her antibiotics as I found out that this can help to restore the healthy bacteria in the gut (which antibiotics totally destroy).

Well, I really hope little Maddie has good results, and I hope maybe Lola's story helped you in some way.

Take care!  :blink:
Natasha x

Offline ali2010

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2013, 08:06:25 PM »
Any news on the test results yet? I'm keeping my fingers crossed and Albert's keeping his paws crossed

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2013, 08:15:21 PM »
Hoping for a good result for Maddie, bless her.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2013, 10:02:02 AM »
Fingers and paws crossed here for good results :luv: :luv:
Stephanie George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline White Bryony

• Site Member
  • Woofie 5.5.1999 - 29.4.13
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2013, 10:52:37 PM »
Thank you for asking about Maddie. She has recovered very well and I am very proud of how brave she has been. We haven't had any results back yet which is very difficult.

Lisa, Maddie and Woofie (now at the bridge) xx

Offline Liz F

• Donator
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2013, 07:00:48 PM »
Pleased to hear Maddie is home safe and sound and recovering well  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Liz, Olli & Diesel xx