Author Topic: URGENT- Can a bitch recover from pyometra? updated with cute pics  (Read 3397 times)

Offline Specaloo

:luv:Hi there, our 15month old bitch Luna is in the vets tonight after spending the wkend pretty ill, lethargic & depressed, they've concluded that its open pyometra & have recommended spaying her in the morning. The problem is we wanted to her to have a litter in the future (pending health tests) as we'd like to keep one of her offspring due to her amazing beautiful temperament. Question is, is spaying the ONLY option, anyone had experience of this & have they recovered with the right antibiotics? We'd like to avoid a spay but of course would if it was life threatening.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: URGENT- Can a bitch recover from pyometra?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 10:51:06 PM »
do not know the answer,just wanted to wish her well  :bigarmhug:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Specaloo

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 11:00:16 PM »
Thanks Min.....  ;)

Offline panda66

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 11:03:10 PM »

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 11:10:20 PM »
Really sorry to hear this  :-\ Spaying is the most commonly recommended treatment for pyometra - it is life threatening and I would go with whatever treatment has the highest likelihood of succeeding.

There are other treatments that vet can use if you want to breed in future but if your breeder is still breeding you could get another equally well natured pup off them without the associated risks of seasons and whelping for Luna.

Hope she's ok and pulls through :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Specaloo

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 11:16:36 PM »
http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/pyometra-in-dogs/915
This is quite interesting.  Hope she gets better soon.  :bigarmhug:
Interesting reading Panda66, the side effects of the alternative to surgery sounds awful & not sure I would want to put her through that, especially since she already feels rubbish,  :-\  thankyou for the well wishes,  ;)

Offline Specaloo

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 11:19:02 PM »
Really sorry to hear this  :-\ Spaying is the most commonly recommended treatment for pyometra - it is life threatening and I would go with whatever treatment has the highest likelihood of succeeding.

There are other treatments that vet can use if you want to breed in future but if your breeder is still breeding you could get another equally well natured pup off them without the associated risks of seasons and whelping for Luna.

That's a good suggestion about the breeder....but that would mean ending up with 3 cockers instead of 2.... Shame.... ;) :D

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 11:28:17 PM »
The problem with pyo (other than the obvious) is that once a bitch has had it if they are not spayed it is extremely likely, in fact almost certain, to recur - there is something like an 80-90% recurrence rate according to most studies, and it can also affect fertility - so spaying really is the safest option for her future health and wellbeing, especially given she's so young and next time it could be a much more serious closed pyo :-\ Lots of dogs have wonderful temperaments, that in itself isn't enough reason to breed, and given the circumstances I would have her spayed and ensure that you can enjoy her for many years to come - breeding also isn't without its associated risks to the bitch. Helen's suggestion of going back to her breeder is an excellent one ;) I really hope she's ok :luv:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 11:29:39 PM »

That's a good suggestion about the breeder....but that would mean ending up with 3 cockers instead of 2.... Shame.... ;) :D

such hardships

but after reading the link, gemma is a step closer for a trip to wetnhairyman
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Specaloo

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 11:45:29 PM »
The problem with pyo (other than the obvious) is that once a bitch has had it if they are not spayed it is extremely likely, in fact almost certain, to recur - there is something like an 80-90% recurrence rate according to most studies, and it can also affect fertility - so spaying really is the safest option for her future health and wellbeing, especially given she's so young and next time it could be a much more serious closed pyo :-\ Lots of dogs have wonderful temperaments, that in itself isn't enough reason to breed, and given the circumstances I would have her spayed and ensure that you can enjoy her for many years to come - breeding also isn't without its associated risks to the bitch. Helen's suggestion of going back to her breeder is an excellent one ;) I really hope she's ok :luv:

Thanks for your very good answer Nicola, you just convinced me that spaying is the safest & best option for her.  :blink:

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 12:00:31 AM »
Pearl was unwell in her first season but not enough to think it was anything more serious than a UTI.  Her health wasn't brilliant with a number of minor infections leading up to her second season which never really happened - she had a pyometra and was spayed within hours of being diagnosed.  TBH the difference in her was amazing almost immediately, it was like having a new dog with lots of bounce! Clearly she had been very unwell prior to surgery.

After the op the Vet confirmed the pyo and that her uterus was "a mess with infection" definitely the right decision for Pearl.  Prior to her op I had no plans to have her spayed (or breed from her) as I accepted the responsibility of having a bitch in season - it didn't feel like a decision at the time, more that it was a necessary procedure for a medical emergency.

Hope Luna's procedure goes well tomorrow and she recovers as quickly as Pearl did/has

Jayne

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 12:07:00 AM »
I genuinely think it's the right thing to do in this situation; I have a field trial champion bitch - one of not very many in the country - and regardless of her value to the breed if she ever developed pyo I wouldn't hesitate in spaying her straight away. I'm quite paranoid about pyo and she will be spayed at an appropriate time after her next and last litter so I don't have to worry about it any more! We have the same policy for our Hearing Dogs breeding bitches (I'm breeding scheme supervisor for the charity), with so many dogs we have had a few cases and even with an open pyo they are always spayed immediately to safeguard their future health which is by far the most important thing. Let us know how she gets on and I hope she's home and recovering soon :luv:

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 12:15:45 AM »
So sorry to read this.

I had a bitch (Freya) go through this, and there was absolutely no choice for us.  We would have lost her.

I hope your girl recovers fully from this awful condition.  Sending positive, healing thoughts. X

No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 12:29:48 AM »
Wishing your little girl well for the operation ahead and a speedy recovery to full health. I know this is probably a stupid question - but what is pyometra please..see it mentioned a lot but never know what it is. (a simple explanation will suffice  ph34r)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 02:11:27 AM »
Simply put it is an infection of the uterus caused by bacteria, often E.coli, entering via the cervix that leads to the accumulation of pus. It can be either 'open' or 'closed' and this refers to the cervix. Open pyos are generally easier to spot and diagnose as pus/discharge leaks from the vagina. In a closed pyo there is no discharge and if other symptoms are not recognised the dog can very quickly develop blood poisoning and/or the womb can become so distended with pus that it ruptures. It is therefore an extremely serious and life-threatening condition, particularly the closed variety as there is no outlet for the accumulation of pus.

Pyo obviously affects unspayed bitches - there is a condition called stump pyometra where uterine tissue left in the body after spaying becomes infected but this is relatively rare. Pyo is linked to hormonal changes during seasons and will usually occur about 8 weeks after a season; it can affect dogs at any age but older entire bitches are much more likely to be affected due to repeated changes in the uterus over many heat cycles. The preferred treatment is removal of the uterus and ovaries (spaying); some cases of open pyo can be treated with drugs but success is not guaranteed and once a bitch has had a pyo there is an extremely high likelihood of recurrence. Some affected bitches show more signs than others but for a closed pyo with no discharge symptoms may be lethargy, depression, inappetence, vomiting and increased thirst/excessive drinking.