Author Topic: Reverse sneezing. I think.  (Read 787 times)

Offline tritonx

Reverse sneezing. I think.
« on: May 21, 2014, 05:55:27 AM »
I've read through the threads on reverse sneezing after finding out from googling that what Fraser has been doing for about 3 days now is likely that. He's 5 now and it's suddenly come on, but I see one of the causes can be allergies. There's a large undeveloped lot over the back fence and the broom is out in full force. Might that be it? Plus, there are a lot of seeds in the garden from feeders. I suppose he might have snuffled some up his nose. How long should I allow before I take him to the vet? He doesn't seem distressed (it's me who's distressed), but he does it quite a lot during the day, though not for prolonged stretches.

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
Re: Reverse sneezing. I think.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 10:03:39 AM »
If you suspect it could be a seed of some kind I'd get him to the vet just to get it checked out.... if its allergy related you could find a piriton a day might help (not sure if you can get that over there?)  But think my first stop would be the vets to make sure he's not got a foreign body stuck  :-\
Hope its nothing too serious and easily sorted xx
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 12:30:38 PM »
I think the same as Lisa (MaggieR) and that if Fraser has been sneezing like that for 3 days I'd wonder if the cause was more likely a foreign body in his nose or an allergy than reverse sneezing.

My first Cocker used to reverse sneeze, but only occasionally, never several times over a few days.

Offline tritonx

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 06:44:12 PM »
I phoned the vet's office and talked to the technician. She mentioned benedryl which is diphenhydramine that is often given to dogs and is an over the counter anti-histamine. I tend to take Fraser to the vet at any sign of anything really, and it's always been nothing in particular. However, he'll probably be at the vets later today as I don't want to be giving him over the counter drugs without knowing exactly what dosage. He was okay all night, no problem breathing and last evening only really started up when I put him outside for his late night pee and he started up immediately he was out the door. This morning when he woke up he started sneezing, but when he went outside, he started up the reverse sneezing. So it does seem related to air temperature or whatever's outside in the air that is stronger than in the house. I'm trying not to be such an anxious parent, but what the hey. He's my precious boy and not worth taking chances.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 07:07:11 PM »
never heard of it, is it a serious thing
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline tritonx

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 01:22:37 AM »
Apparently it's quite common in dogs and usually not serious. More alarming than anything. Could be a variety of causes. I took him in and all his airways were checked and normal, temp running a bit high, but vet says it could have spiked from stress as he waited a while before getting seen. I've come home with anti-histamine and I'm to go in tomorrow to see if he's still got a temperature, in which case he'll get antibiotics. Vet said it could be nose mites which is usually treated by a worming powder that also takes out mites. So, it's a process of elimination to determine cause and then specific treatment. He said if something was stuck in his nose, by now it would have become infected and there would likely be a discharge from the affected nostril, but there hasn't been anything like that. Only sneezing and reverse sneezing.

Offline tritonx

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 10:54:41 PM »
Well, Fraser's definitely not himself. Mopey, none of the let's go, let's play morning greeting. Took him back to the vet. Temp is upper normal as yesterday, but he's still sneezing and reverse sneezing after two doses of anti-histamine yesterday afternoon and evening. This is day 5 of the reverse sneezing. Vet says continue the anti-histamine and he's started him on broad spectrum antibiotic to see which works. Otherwise it would be more invasive procedures to see if he's got anything stuck up his nostrils. The last treatment would be worming powder to address possibility of nasal mites, but he says they're rare. Poor boy has taken to his bed rather than following me about as usual though he did eat his breakfast okay. Wish I knew what is wrong with him.

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 11:05:01 PM »
Oh bless him :( fingers crossed the AB's start to help..... sending lots of positive thoughts.  Might be worth bearing in mind that the anti-histamines will probably make him a bit sleepy as well depending on the dose etc.
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline tritonx

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 01:34:43 AM »
Thanks. Can't help worrying. I think the kind of over the counter anti-histamine they use here can have quite a sedative effect, so his doziness might be that. Just complicates the matter as, of course, I'm on the watch for signs of how he's doing. I've returned to more or less the same kind of fretting mum I used to be when my son was small. Only a few degrees different now that he's a grown man.  :-\ You don't really get over that parental anxiety thing, do you.

Offline tritonx

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 04:32:35 AM »
Well, it's 9 days and several days of anti-histamine and antibiotics. Fraser is not reverse sneezing as much, but it's still happening. Has anyone else had a dog do this and did it last so long? I'm going to phone the vet tomorrow to update him, but just wondered if anyone else has dealt with this problem and how long it took to subside.

Offline maddy74

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 06:07:02 AM »
Not experienced this but wanted you to know we are thinking of him. Are his eyes watering or anything?

Offline tritonx

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 06:45:03 PM »
Not watering but there's a bit of goo, not much. Vet said if it was something up his nose, it would infect and there would be discharge from one nostril, but there's been nothing like that. He did the reverse sneeze once during frisbee play this morning where he snuffles through the grass a lot looking for the treats I throw out for him to search, but otherwise the frequency is much diminished from the start when he was also doing it in the house. Now it's mostly a couple of episodes when he's outside. And he's perky, so not feeling poorly. Might be getting constipated from the antibiotics (even though he gets pumpkin with both meals), so I'm wondering if I should give him yoghurt as we do after a course of strong antibiotics. Going to phone vet after brekkie.