Author Topic: Cost of spaying  (Read 844 times)

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
Cost of spaying
« on: July 08, 2014, 04:47:39 PM »
After Pippa's last season which was very heavy and went on for ages, we decided to get her spayed.  She will be four months post-season at the end of this month so just rang our usual vets to book her in and was quoted £225 for the operation  :o  I was shocked as I was expecting no more than £180 so decided to ring a new branch of a vet I know friends recommend which has just opened in the next town.  They have quoted £156, almost a third less!  I have booked Pippa in with the new vet and will have to cancel the other appointment  ph34r

Offline aliceandlouis

Re: Cost of spaying
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 05:05:04 PM »
Gosh that is a difference  :o

We paid about £200 to have Alice spayed 5 years ago so maybe I paid over the odds?  :dunno:

Don't want to teach you to suck eggs, but do check that you are comparing like with like - the amount we paid for Alice's procedure included two post-op checks for stitch removal and wound supervision so make sure that the second quote includes the review if the first one does (IYSWIM) - otherwise you may find that you are having to pay for her to have a check-up.

Good Luck when it all takes place  :D

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 05:21:38 PM »
Is the higher cost a laproscopy procedure? 

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 05:28:41 PM »
Both are standard spays (not laproscopy).  I checked and both cover exactly the same: pre-op check, operation, painkillers and one post-op check-up.  Am left wondering how much we have been ripped off for other procedures over the years.

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 06:56:43 PM »
We had exactly the same!!

Our vet quoted £190 another (recommended) vet quoted £110. We rang our vet to see why theirs was so high but they offered no reason nor would they budge on price so we changed. We had been happy with our vets but were left feeling like they had tried to overcharge (I'm sure they weren't as it was a set fee they charged, but it made us feel like that).

Anyway, Bonnie went to new vet for spay and we were very happy with them so we switched to them. They are more traditional vets (well known horse vets in our area) and we found they have better opening times.

I'm sure Pippa will be fine and I'm sure you've made the right choice. A spey is usually straightforward so why charge loads more than someone else? X

Offline Golden Blue

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 12:25:55 PM »
Hi,
We just payed £168 for Cleo (3 weeks ago), she did need some extra medication which I think we paid for, but so far she has been seen 3 times since and I've not paid any consultation fees. 
:)

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 03:42:38 PM »
Well, she's had the op.  All went well and I was able to pick her up at 1pm.  However, she is feeling very sorry for herself.  Her tail is usually set to permanent wag but is currently tucked between her legs.  The vets were really good though.  She even has a special tin of food for her tea tonight in case her tummy is a bit sensitive after the op plus biotics to help her gut get going again and painkillers.  Check-up on Monday morning but all seems fine so far.  :luv:

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 04:06:39 PM »
Glad all went well, they are such a worry arent they? :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 07:35:23 PM »
Oh poor Pip, I know she is fine but, give her a kiss from us  :luv: :luv:
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 09:09:34 PM »
Glad it all went well. Was worth swapping. Sounds like they have taken great care of her. Hope she is back to normal soon and the tail starts up again xx

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 09:41:45 PM »
Thanks for the good wishes. All she wants to do is sleep at the moment but her we've had a few tail wags, especially when OH came home. Have passed on the kiss, Barbara.

Offline amichell

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 10:44:48 PM »
Glad to hear all went well, hope her tail has more wag in it tomorrow :luv:

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 05:32:17 PM »
I had Jaz my working cocker spayed yesterday & I know some vets go my the weight of the dog as part of their costings so Jaz being 13kg which is not a small cocker her spay cost £112.80

This was less than when I had Jodie spayed 3 years earlier weighting only 8kg which was £130 (different vets )

Is it an area thing or if part of a group/chain of vets setting the price ?

Jaz has been brilliant less than 24 hours on she is fine I am restricting her but she would be happy to do her normal stuff so mummy is being bad & not letting her  >:(  she has had a full spay & I am amazed how well she is doing

Jaz is saying what spay mum cant remember I feel fine  :luv: never had a cocker come out of it so well
Aljeana & the Baddley Pack