Author Topic: Millie coughing after having been at the kennels...  (Read 583 times)

Offline Katie_and_Millie

Millie coughing after having been at the kennels...
« on: August 15, 2014, 09:09:17 AM »
I'm not sure it's kennel cough though.  It's not very often she is doing it, and she seems fine otherwise.  No runny nose, she has watery eyes but then she always has watery eyes.

It's like she has something stuck in her throat and coughs it up (and then swallows it again).  She is also snoring when she doesn't normally.

Is there anything I can do to soothe it?  It's definitely not serious enough for the vets.  Perhaps just a cold? :'(

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
Re: Millie coughing after having been at the kennels...
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 09:15:02 AM »
It does sound like kennel cough to me.  Kennel cough does sound like they have something stuck in their throats rather than a human type cough.  Our rescue dog had it when she first arrived and she didn't cough constantly, just every now and again.  It's very infectious apparently, although I have to say my other two dogs didn't catch it at all.  I didn't take Amber to the vets.  I just kept her away from other dogs, stopped walks but let her play in the garden and gave her honey.  You can give them children's cough medicine but I'm not sure which and what dose.  Someone else may be along who knows more.

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 10:38:17 AM »
Yes it does sound like Kennel Cough, I once overheard my vet advising Benalyn children cough syrup the one for a tickely cough and a spoon ful of honey.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Katie_and_Millie

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 10:54:42 AM »
Thank you I will give her some Benalyn, bless her!  She is snoring away on the sofa as I type.

Should I call the kennels to let them know?  She has been vaccinated but I know it's not 100% effective.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 11:33:32 AM »
My previous cocker came back from kennels with a cough, even though he had vaccine etc.
A friend who breeds cavaliers told me to give runny honey, it really helped always have it as a stand bye,

Give it Ollie if he has a cough after his self grooming :005:
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 01:35:09 PM »
Sometimes dogs can bark a lot when in kennels and end up irritating their throats. Manuka honey is particularly soothing. Aldi used to sell it quite cheaply but I don't know if they still do.
If it doesn't clear up then I would take a quick vet trip. I discovered by experience that suddenly snoring can indicate a small blockage in the nose.

Offline Catty_G

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 02:47:44 PM »
Poor girl, how long has she been out of the kennels? If its been going on for a few days I'd pop her to the vets to be on the safe side and if it turns out to be Kennel cough I'd let the kennels know so they can look out for symptoms in the other dogs too.

Give her a gentle hug from Bessie & I
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 04:04:11 PM »
Kennel cough is distressing for dog and owner ( been there 3 times with different dogs (all vaccinated against so now i dont bother unless kennels insist )   .  infact one of my dogs developed it after having the jab just before we wanted her in the kennels
 It is like a kiddee with whooping cough
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 05:52:07 PM »
Vets don't take kindly to dogs with kennel cough attending the surgery, it very infectious. Ring for advice first. You will probably find that things settle quickly.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline cockerlover1

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 08:35:16 AM »
Yep baby benalyn twice a day, it doesn't sound typical of CC, however could be a mild case.