Author Topic: Why I will never use a collar again  (Read 7506 times)

Offline rubybella

Re: Why I will never use a collar again
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2014, 09:11:06 PM »
Sorry to hear about your dog, I really hope the op was a success. A similar thing happened to my friends cocker spaniel earlier this year, but sadly her cord was too damaged, she was 6 years old :(

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2014, 09:15:53 PM »
I hope the operation is a success and your boy will be on the mend soon.

A worrying time for you all, we will all keep our fingers crossed for you.

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2014, 09:47:03 PM »
I am so sorry to read what has happened to your cocker.  Hope with all my heart that he recovers fully.  Thinking of you.

Offline cockerowner1000

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2014, 09:50:42 PM »
Thanks for all your good wishes.  He is still the same - no change yet.  We may have to wait a while to know.

Just because collars are widely used I don't think that is a reason to use one.  Cigarettes were once widely used too.  I still won't connect any dog collar to a leash again and I found the link below.

https://dogmantics.com/is-it-harmful-to-attach-a-leash-to-your-dogs-neck-2/

Emily is talking a lot of sense.

Offline cockerowner1000

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2014, 06:46:59 AM »
Sorry to hear about your dog, I really hope the op was a success. A similar thing happened to my friends cocker spaniel earlier this year, but sadly her cord was too damaged, she was 6 years old :(

I'm sorry about your friend's cocker spaniel.  Your post makes me wonder how common this is.

Offline rubybella

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2014, 07:39:18 AM »
Not as uncommon as we would like to hope I think! Since it happened I keep looking at my girlie and worrying - does she look stiff, walking oddly etc. Trouble is deterioration is so quick it barely gives any time to sort the problem.

I really hope your boy gets better.

Offline cockerowner1000

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2014, 10:49:40 AM »
The little guy has started to move his legs!!   :blink: :blink: :blink:

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2014, 11:25:36 AM »
Really pleased to hear he's started to show signs of improvement and everything crossed that it continues.   
Re the collar - I think its down to the individual.  I know Maggie's discs are all calcified and have been since she was at least 2 when she had an MRI scan.  She's six in January and touch wood not had any really bad problems.  She is a nightmare on a lead and I won't walk her far on one because I know its no good for her spine to be pulling - I'm lucky tho and know that she has a problem so I can manage it through acupuncture, hydrotherapy, heat packs etc... But I am still trying to train my pup to walk on a lead as he's so young a harness really does give him the green light for pull signal :)
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2014, 12:00:29 PM »
Glad the little chap is making improvements - hope it continues, these things are always a worry.

Big  :bigarmhug: for you all
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2014, 12:07:12 PM »
The little guy has started to move his legs!!   :blink: :blink: :blink:

Great news :clapping:
Julie and Watson

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2014, 02:41:41 PM »
Great news  :luv: hope for more improvements over the next few days

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2014, 03:45:25 PM »
So pleased there has been some improvement, hope it continues .

Offline cockerowner1000

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2014, 03:58:06 PM »
I'm so sorry about your dog, really hope he is ok.

Can I clarify, as a new dog owner - so people do not put collars on their dogs AT ALL? I use a harness for walking on the lead, because I'm trying to teach him not to pull. But he has a collar with his ID tag on it, which he keeps on most of the time - I take it off at night when he goes to bed because he sleeps in a crate, but otherwise its always on. Is this a problem?

My husband isn't great at putting the harness on - mainly because he almost exclusively walks him off the lead, so its just getting him out to the car and then possibly from the car to place he's allowed off lead if its a car park. Should I force him to do it all the time? He does pull on the lead and it does choke him occasionally, which is why I bought the harness, but he hates having the harness put on and taken off so I think my husband doesn't bother if its only for a short period. What does everyone else do?  (He's 21 weeks and a worker btw).

If he has to keep his collar on with an ID tag by law then I'll have to do that, but I will only attach the lead to a harness.  As for only having him on a collar and lead for a short period of time, I wouldn't see the point in taking any risks especially as he will be eager to get out of the car and start walking.   Assuming my dog's improvement continues, he won't be going out for quite a long time anyway (vet's orders!).

When my dog didn't like doing something when he was young, I added a gravy bone to it.  He soon liked it and then there was no need for the gravy bone.  I doubt I'll need a gravy bone for the harness now though.  After 8 years together we can practically read each other's mind and usually know what the other thinks or wants.

The news has really brightened up our Christmas.  Hope you all have a good one too!

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2014, 05:51:59 PM »
Fantastic news :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Merry Christmas.

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2014, 10:08:03 PM »
Brilliant news.  Hope his recovery goes from strength to strength.