Author Topic: What to eat after being sick?  (Read 660 times)

Offline lescef

What to eat after being sick?
« on: November 09, 2015, 04:05:46 PM »
Bramble has been sick three times this morning and isn't her usual self,  although she does want to eat and is drinking. Unfortunately,  my son took her to the local woods yesterday so I don't know if she's eaten something. He seems pretty sure she didn't eat the mushrooms that are everywhere.
This is the first time either of them has been sick since going raw ten months ago. Previously I would have fed rice, chicken, white fish etc but what do you do if on a raw diet? What would raw feeders recommend?
Obviously,  we'll be off to the vet if she doesn't improve.

Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: What to eat after being sick?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 04:42:51 PM »
Can't help re advice, but hope she is feeling better soon.  :luv:

Just wonder, could you give her raw white fish fillet?
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline PollySpaull

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 04:50:36 PM »
Weirdly enough Monty was sick for the first time ever yesterday. Just the once though.

Monty is also raw fed so I would recommend something like minced chicken breast. Just nice and simple and plain to begin with. That is just my suggestion I'm sure others might have a better idea. They tend to give just chicken mince to pups as it's nice and easy on the system so might work for little Bramble x

Love from Polly and Monty!

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 04:52:17 PM »
Personally, as a raw feeder, I would still feed rice/chicken until Brambles stomach settles down.

Hopefully she will be back to normal asap.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 05:04:16 PM »
Some scrambled egg, cooked white fish or chicken?  little bit of pumpkin or sweet potato?
Hope she is better soon.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 05:07:37 PM »
William and Louis are raw fed and on the rare occasions one of them has diarrhoea or vomiting I feed very small amounts of plain scrambled egg every 2 or 3 hours, but poached chicken breast and white fish are usually good too and the water you poach the chicken in can be a tempting drink for a dog that isn't very interested in drinking but needs to be kept hydrated. I tend not to feed rice, but that's just a personal preference. Once they're happily keeping scrambled egg down I feed boneless raw chicken or some tripe mince for the next 24 hours or so.

I keep a tub of Dorwest Tree Barks Powder to hand because that's very good for helping to settle an upset stomach. It's mainly slippery elm and helps calm irritation in the gut as well as combatting diarrhoea.

Hopefully Bramble is already over the worst and will be back to normal soon :D

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 11:04:13 AM »
I don't feed raw (Archie is wet fed) so this might not be of interest, but I always keep a pack of this in the cupboard just in case of a tummy upset.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/fishmongers-natural-tray-with-ocean-fish-395g

It's very bland and always seems to help. It's great to know it's there to hand in an emergency so I don't have to defrost/cook anything specially.
I agree about the tree barks powder too. It's very good stuff.

Offline lescef

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 05:18:37 PM »
Thank you all. After reading your posts I remembered I had bought some slippery elm, so gave her some last night. Her tummy was so hard and holding herself tense. I'm pleased to say she woke up this morning her usual noisy self. Have fed her scrambled egg though - just to be safe.  ;)
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble