Author Topic: Lameness & exercise  (Read 389 times)

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
Lameness & exercise
« on: December 11, 2016, 10:16:24 AM »
Jaz my 3 year old working cocker went lame 3 weeks ago on our walk for what seems no apparent reason except for the fact she has gone lame in the same heathland before.  Its uneven ground due to rabbits but also full of heather & sandy ground plus lovely grass areas.

Last time she went lame on her front right leg vet thought at the time maybe stubbed her toe that was in June took ages for Jaz to become quite sound on that leg, 3 weeks ago in the same area same scenario Jaz sat down would not move so when I got her up she was hobbling but this time front left leg so bad I had to carry her back to the car.

This time it seemed to really upset Jaz so I took her to the vet the same evening as she appeared in pain vet was not sure as Jaz was being quite resistant to having her leg extended so came away with rest & Metacam review in a few days.  Jaz improved over the few days but was still on off lame & was placing the foot.

Vet thought that Jaz had an issue with her elbow as still would not extend so advised x-rays of shoulders,elbows & feet all x-rays have come back fine no joint issues or arthritis which is great but Jaz is still lame Vet thinks must be soft tissue injury plus she thought Jaz is very sensitive so may have lost confidence in using the leg correctly due to pain but agreed that she could still not extend Jazzies from leg so rest & metacam.

I have Jaz booked in to see a Canine Massage therapist as I have used them before as maintenance for my agility dogs I have sent a video to the  therapist & feels looks like shoulder so booked in for Tuesday, my issue is exercise whilst trying to recover from possible soft tissue injury what do people recommend ?

Jaz has had 3 week very restricted to mostly the garden or lead walking but she is quite sensitive & I am sure she thinks I have lost the plot by not doing our normal off lead walks  ;) but I need to encourage recovery without upsetting Jaz too much she is quite laid back so can cope to a certain extent with restrictions but is lead walks ok ? or would people continue with total rest so just the garden ?

Advice appreciated
Aljeana & the Baddley Pack

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Lameness & exercise
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 12:42:55 PM »
Sorry, have absolutely no experience of anything like this at all but hope someone else can help. Just wanted to send hugs to Jaz and wish her a good recovery!

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
Re: Lameness & exercise
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 03:17:33 PM »
Poor Jaz. Hope whatever is wrong is nothing serious and Jaz's poorly leg is back to normal very soon.