Author Topic: I can't believe what is happening.  (Read 3900 times)

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Re: I can't believe what is happening.
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2016, 11:52:28 AM »
So very sorry to read this, I remember with my late Jay the breeder never told us that he only had one dropped testicle, it was dreadful hearing this at the vets when you are still raw from the loss of you beloved friend.  I think that is the shocking thing.

I do hope that today brings you better news, and I would certainly relay to breeder. Maybe get OH to do it and say how distressing it is for you, mine OH has a way of putting things across better than me.

Try and stay positive and thinking of you
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2016, 12:13:04 PM »
So sorry to read about poor little Rosie. I hope the scan goes well and you are given  better news as a result.

Minstrel too had a heart murmur when a pup, but like others it disappeared by the age on one.

Sadly I think some vets do lack a bedside manner and only look at the 'technical' stuff and forget how devasted  the owner will be over such news.

Lots of  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: for you and Rosie
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2016, 01:19:04 PM »
So sorry to read about this. You have paid a lot of money and were entitled to expect a dog who was fit and healthy. Beyond that what you choose to do vis a vis the breeder is up to you. If you cannot bear to hand her back the at least the breeder should be making a partial refund.

A neighbour of mine had a puppy with a heart murmur and I think that he spent perhaps £3,000 on the surgery to fix it which was very successful and she now works every day when they have a shoot.

My mother was diagnosed with a heart murmur as a child (it has never gone away) but she worked full time in her business until she was 68. She celebrated her 81st birthday this year and can still be found in my sister's workshop doing sewing until after 10.00pm in the run up to Christmas.

(They breed us tough in the Pennines) 

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2016, 02:15:52 PM »
Thank you so much everyone, it helps so much that you are all here for me.

Rosie has had her scan.  She has a small leak in her mitral valve and the flow through her aorta is at abnormally high speed at high heart rate but quickly goes to normal at lower rates.  Apparently the fact it quickly goes to normal is good.

I am to treat her completely as normal, no limits on exercise as she grows and she can run as much as she wants when she is old enough.  She will have to have another scan when she is a year old to see what is happening when she is fully grown.  The cardiologist is hopeful that Rosie will grow out of the problem as her heart gets bigger, but if the worst comes to the worst they can do the necessary surgery at the Royal Veterinary College. 

The cardiologist's words were 'put this completely out of your mind now, enjoy her, act normally with her and come back to see me in a year's time.  So that is what
I am going to try and do.

Still not happy with the breeder, I did expect that for the price we paid we should have got a health checked puppy.  I will speak to her later and see what she says.

As I think I said before, my last but one cocker, Sophie, had a heart murmer diagnosed at Rosie's age but no scan.  The cardiologist said that was all they could do 26 years ago, just diagnose and leave it. I hope that Rosie's problem is what Sophie had and if Rosie has the active life that Sophie had until she is 14, like Sophie was, that will be all I want

So 543 pounds and a shaved puppy who is sticky with gel later, it could have been a lot worse.

I will see if the insurance will pay and see what I can do for the future.  I don't think I should be out of pocket at all, but if I am at least I still have Rosie and the hope of a normal life for her.

Thank you so much for all your kind thoughts. I don't think I could cope without this forum now, you have all been so lovely.

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2016, 02:28:58 PM »
That's great news, so relieved for you.  Let's now hope she grows out of it.
I would ask the breeder for a refund of the money you've spent at the vet's.

Offline Rhodri0311

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2016, 03:01:31 PM »
I am so pleased that the news is more positive - I'm sure you must be feeling relieved.

Sending lots of love to Rosie, and I'm sure you going to have lots of fun together x

Offline lescef

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2016, 03:04:31 PM »
Great news. Have a chilled out evening! X
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2016, 03:06:46 PM »
Great news and what a relief for you!

Get the 4 week free insurance transferred over into a lifetime policy to make sure you have cover if that operation is needed in a years time.  You will struggle to shop around now unfortunately due to a pre-existing condition.

Also speak to the breeder.  At £900 I would have expected a vets health check at the very least, and usually would expect the first vaccination to be done..  I would be asking for a full refund.

It would be interesting to know if any siblings are also being diagnosed with the same condition.

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2016, 03:25:08 PM »
Sounds like the cardiologist is very good and you should take her advice and not worry about it too much as you don't want the puppy to pick up on any stress from you. the breeder should pay the vets costs at the very least
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2016, 03:49:39 PM »
I'm so glad to hear this. I hoped it would be the case, but you never know, do you? My son had a heart murmur diagnosed when he was three. The GP was very concerned, but when we went to the cardiologist, he explained it was completely benign and would probably rectify itself as he grew. Which it did.

Enjoy your pup, but please do take this up with your breeder. Had she not given the pups their first vaccinations already? Henry came to us with his first lot done, so had been checked over by the vet then. And surely Rosie had been wormed already? Would that require a vet visit as well?
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2016, 04:09:46 PM »
Absolutely agree, were given a pets passport with first vaccinations registered in there with the vets stamp, name and address, we also had a health certificate and confirmation of worming treatment. Still, that's all secondary, main thing is, little Rosie's OK and you can look forward optimistically to a long and happy life together. If anything positve comes out of a scare like that is that it puts all the other puppy rearing stress into perspective (and standing outside in the cold at 4am waiting for her to have a wee won't seem so bad!! :005:)
SO pleased for you, looking forward to hearing more about her adventures!

Offline cdob1901

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2016, 04:11:41 PM »
Missed this thread this morning but very glad that there is a more positive outcome. Awful news for your new little baby, I too would be devastated.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2016, 04:26:22 PM »
I am so happy to read this update on Rosie.

As for the breeder, well what do you say....yes a vet check would or may have shown this.  As for the price - think it is a top notch price and as such should have come with the security of vet checks.  But honestly is this the first thing we think about when we see a new tiny puppy who immediately tugs at our heart strings, well I certainly wouldn't.

My concern is about pet insurance, if this is going to become prohibitive I would certainly express this forcefully to the breeder.

You must do exactly as the doctor ordered and bring up Rosie and enjoy.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2016, 04:34:51 PM »
Phew!!!!! Enjoy your puppy now. As for speaking to the breeder, your insurance will be affected, so not sure where you stand now - maybe check the sale of goods act (don't know if dogs come under that, but I wouldn't be surprised).
Anyway, have a good night's sleep tonight  ;)

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2016, 05:23:00 PM »
What a relief :013: Now relax and enjoy your beautiful snuggle girl Rosie :luv: :luv:
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum