Author Topic: I can't believe what is happening.  (Read 3901 times)

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: I can't believe what is happening.
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2016, 05:34:22 PM »
good news for little Rosie.  Sending her ( and your wallet)  :bigarmhug:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline EmmaRose

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2016, 05:54:53 PM »
That's great news - really pleased to hear a positive outcome, fingers crossed she'll grow out of it. Looking forward to hearing all about your adventures together  :luv:

I agree the breeder should at least contribute towards the vets fees which in theory she would have paid for if she'd taken the puppies to the vets herself.  Good point by Londongirl about worming... Just wondered do you have a puppy contract for Rosie? When Rory had his last vet check with his breeder they found a small hernia which they both agreed would resolve itself but Rory's breeder put it into the contract that if it ever required medical attention she would pay for it, in the end it went after a few weeks.
Emma, Pippa & Rory x

Offline MillicentWight

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2016, 07:28:11 PM »
Good news for you and Rosie. So pleased.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2016, 08:07:23 PM »
Excellent, now have some lovely puppy cuddles, and a nice glass of something chilled and fruitful  ;)

Offline hoover

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2016, 08:11:25 PM »
Good news for you and great advice from the cardiologist to put it to the back of your mind and just enjoy her - none of us can know what is ahead for us or our dogs.

A little girl in Ollie's litter had a heart murmur - actually missed at the first vet check that the breeder took them to but spotted at the 2nd vet check (same vet) after the new owner took the pup home.    They did make the choice to return the pup and to take another girl from the litter. We were advised by the breeder about this as we were considering taking her, and we spoke to the vet on the phone about it who wasn't really concerned, said it was a low grade murmur and not likely to cause problems.  But it was just enough to cause us concerns - and we were worried about insurance implications. We had not taken her home -if we had that would have been a lot harder to make the decision to return her.  I would definitely be speaking to the breeder about the financial side of things after the price you paid for Rosie.  It would be one thing if it had not been spotted at 1st check, as in our case, but to be entirely not health checked is another matter.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2016, 08:40:53 PM »
Very pleased to read the prognosis from your Vet  :D

Some photos of Rosie would be good  ;)

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2016, 09:08:31 PM »
What a situation !  From Rosie's point of view, she is so lucky!   She has got an experienced owner, which has probably saved her life.  What would the breeder do with her,  sell her again, or something worse .
Has the breeder got a Facebook page? If she's not cooperative with you,  then a public comment is very telling!  My brother recently bought an expensive cockapoo, parents KC reg, health checked for their breeds. His vet spotted an undershot jaw. Checking the breeder on FB, another new puppy owner reported an overshot jaw. They were supposed to have been 'vet checked' and given perfect bills of health.  My brother has written to her to inform her of the jaw, stating that he trusts he won't have to have to pay to correct any other medical condition that should have been noted.  I haven't looked to see if he has put it on FB. When a breeder is going to make maybe five thousand pounds or more,  they HAVE to be responsible.  FB shows they want a public profile, and they won't want to it spoiled.
Love to Rosie,   A very special pup.xx
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2016, 01:55:46 AM »
Thank you everyone and for all your advice and experiences.  I'm beginning to think it's a minefield getting a puppy.  It never used to be like this, you just used to pick your puppy and go on your way!

It has been a stressful day and I had to go out tonight to meet some girls I used to work with, so did not get chance to ring the breeder.  To be honest I wanted to see if she contacted me as she knew Rosie was seeing the cardiologist today and I wanted to see how bothered she was.  When I got home there was an email from her asking how Rosie was, saying she had been thinking of her all day and asking what happened with the cardiologist. So that's good, she is not trying to avoid the situation.

It was too late to ring her but I replied that there was a problem and I needed to speak to her and would ring her tomorrow.  She is a teacher so I won't speak to her until late afternoon, but will let you know what she says.

I'm fee!ing positive about the situation, I wish it hadn't happened, but as my mum used to say 'it's happened so deal with it', and that's what I'm doing.  I'm glad I had the scan, I couldn't cope with not knowing what I was dealing with.  I'm glad that it was an actual cardiologist who told me to forget about it now and treat Rosie completely normal and not just a vet who said it, it gives me more confidence.   Also my experience with Sophie has helped, for all I know she could have had the same thing as Rosie and she turned out just fine.

Rosie is going absolutely nowhere, I have bonded with her completely, as she has with me and she is firmly in my heart.  It has surprised me how strongly I felt about this and how upset I have been, given that she has only been here a few days.  And there you go thinking that you will never love another one!

Just for interest one of the girls I met tonight has 2 cavaliers, both from the same breeder and both vet checked.  One developed a heart murmur later in life, fair enough, but the other has has surgery on ALL four legs.  Two cruciate ligaments costing over 3000 pounds each and two elbow surgeries.  So nothing is certain is it.

I'm still annoyed that Rosie wasn't vet checked, but then again if she had been she probably wouldn't be here with me and maybe she was meant to be with me to be treasured!

I will let you know what happens with the breeder.  I am glad she contacted me.

Thank you again everyone for caring.  It means a lot.

Gaynor xx

p.s. I will have a go at posting photographs tomorrow, I am not very good at it but practice makes perfect!

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2016, 05:45:54 AM »
I'm still annoyed that Rosie wasn't vet checked, but then again if she had been she probably wouldn't be here with me and maybe she was meant to be with me to be treasured!

[/quote]

Hi Gaynor,

This is exactly how I feel about my girl, she has a lifelong condition that needs monitoring regularly.

I actually picked her sister first, it felt wrong so I was re considering when Bea managed to touch my left knee ( 2 weeks old ) and that was it, she was mine  :005:

I feel that my family and I can deal with these situations and that's why I have an extra special Cocker to cuddle.

Enjoy your girl it won't be long until she's running about like a loon  :005:

Sharon x

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2016, 07:16:50 AM »
What a situation !  From Rosie's point of view, she is so lucky!   She has got an experienced owner, which has probably saved her life.  What would the breeder do with her,  sell her again, or something worse .
Has the breeder got a Facebook page? If she's not cooperative with you,  then a public comment is very telling!  My brother recently bought an expensive cockapoo, parents KC reg, health checked for their breeds. His vet spotted an undershot jaw. Checking the breeder on FB, another new puppy owner reported an overshot jaw. They were supposed to have been 'vet checked' and given perfect bills of health.  My brother has written to her to inform her of the jaw, stating that he trusts he won't have to have to pay to correct any other medical condition that should have been noted.  I haven't looked to see if he has put it on FB. When a breeder is going to make maybe five thousand pounds or more,  they HAVE to be responsible.  FB shows they want a public profile, and they won't want to it spoiled.

Purely out of interest this, - if the parents are KC registered, don't the KC have to do a health check and approve them aswell? Here in Germany, if you have a dog from a German Dog Club registered breeder, (equivalent of KC) the dog club issues a certificate of health showing that its been tested for HD and all the other breeding requirements, surely that is the whole point and is what justifies the high selling price. The breeder has to cover all those costs. We paid 850 euros for Humphrey but taking into account the breeders costs, rearing, health checks, club fees etc for litter inspection etc I don't think there's much money to be made.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2016, 09:01:36 AM »
Good news for little Rosie (and you!).

Did the breeder not have her 1st vac done the same time as her microchip  (the new rules state this must be done by the breeder)?  Seems strange not to have her vet checked at that point too.  My puppy contract also states to have a check up with my own vet within 2 days, to confirm all is OK. 
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline tenaille

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2016, 10:31:57 AM »
So glad its looking ok for Rosie. Our first cocker had a low grade heart murmer noticed by the vet the first time we took him in for a check up (we got him at 14 weeks from the first owner who couldn't cope), we were surprised and worried but it didn't develop into anything and seemed to just disappear over time,  he was a lovely dog  :luv:

On the subject of breeders I think not having a documented vet check is totally out of order, not fair on the pup or new owner as we bond very quickly.

Offline AlanT

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2016, 10:35:37 AM »
Good news, that's great. The diagnosis is exactly the same as my own condition.

This carries an increased risk of clotting and stroke in later years. There is a recommendation for anti-coagulants.
You might discuss this with the vet at some stage.

Otherwise you just carry on.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2016, 11:43:28 AM »
Ah, so pleased the news is good for you and little Rosie. Hope things continue to go well for you all :luv:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2016, 12:05:25 PM »

Purely out of interest this, - if the parents are KC registered, don't the KC have to do a health check and approve them aswell? Here in Germany, if you have a dog from a German Dog Club registered breeder, (equivalent of KC) the dog club issues a certificate of health showing that its been tested for HD and all the other breeding requirements, surely that is the whole point and is what justifies the high selling price. The breeder has to cover all those costs. We paid 850 euros for Humphrey but taking into account the breeders costs, rearing, health checks, club fees etc for litter inspection etc I don't think there's much money to be made.

I don't think the KC here are that strict on the health of puppies, I think they rely on the breeders being fair and honest and doing the 'right thing' re health checks etc. They do advocate buying from Breeders on their Assured Breeders Scheme and other responsible breeder who do do health tests etc but not sure they actually prevent the listing of puppies without said parental  checks and certification for hereditary ailments.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.