Author Topic: Anal glands removal tomorrow  (Read 3536 times)

Offline Xensgirl

• Site Member
Re: Anal glands removal tomorrow
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2017, 06:04:53 PM »
How is it diagnosed -  blood test, examination?  I'm worried about Maddie and her glands. :'(

Examination first by a Vet...not a groomer.  If they think there could be a problem then its blood tests...and always ask for Calcium to be included in these.  If its raised it can denote cancerous cells in the system.

Offline lescef

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2017, 09:08:54 PM »
Thank you. The vet always does ours - too often unfortunately!  She came from a reputable breeder but it's good to be made aware of these things.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2017, 09:44:38 PM »
Interestingly, my boy (Dickon) never once had a problem with his anal glands before his diagnosis. They weren't even emptied by the vet once.

Offline lescef

« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2017, 09:59:48 PM »
Yes, I was just wondering if there was any connection between impacted or troublesome glands and cancer

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2017, 10:02:13 PM »
Jinley's were having to be emptied more and more frequently by the vet and causing a lot of pain and discomfort when they were done.  It wasn't clear liquid which is normal and empties with they poo but thick gritty paste.  Don't know what caused it to be like this but the vet said the glands all looked normal when he took them out.  Interestingly he had removed cancerous anal glands from 2 dogs the week before  so sad  :012:

Offline lescef

« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2017, 10:17:49 PM »
Glad everything looked normal.
 Maddie's are the same -thick paste, but hers are out of position too. What I find strange was during last summer we went eight months without having them emptied but since then it's been monthly and they're bothering her again now. Oh joy!

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2017, 11:42:53 PM »
We went a while too x a week on from surgery and just getting back to normal.  Looking forward to not having to watch her like a hawk!

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2017, 12:12:54 AM »
Glad miss J is on the mend now. xx

Offline Xensgirl

• Site Member
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2017, 05:25:23 AM »
Just a note....someone said her dog came from a 'reputable breeder' ...believe me I AM a reputable breeder and did everything right.
It doesn't matter where your dog came from. If these Genes are in your dogs bloodlines (it could be way back in the pedigree) they are liable to get Anal Sac Carcinoma.  Its skipped a full generation in our case....and only affected the dogs not the bitches.
Where ever your dog came from get their anal glands checked regularly. If you catch it early there is far more chance of survival.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2017, 06:43:25 AM »
Thanks!

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2017, 03:24:57 PM »
 Maddie's are the same -thick paste, but hers are out of position too. What I find strange was during last summer we went eight months without having them emptied but since then it's been monthly and they're bothering her again now. Oh joy!

Gemma's glands were misaligned resulting in hers "exploding" . They must have been like that since forever but this was the first time we had had trouble with them. why it happened when she was over 5 years old and not before do not know. Atleast the nasty things are gone and she now and always will have a beautiful bum  ;)
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline lescef

« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2017, 03:33:29 PM »

Gemma's glands were misaligned resulting in hers "exploding" . They must have been like that since forever but this was the first time we had had trouble with them. why it happened when she was over 5 years old and not before do not know. Atleast the nasty things are gone and she now and always will have a beautiful bum  ;)
Yes, it's strange. Maddie has only had trouble for the last couple of years and she's six now! Middle age spread maybe! ;)

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2017, 05:03:27 PM »
Jinley was 4½ when her problems were noticed.  She was spayed at 2.  No problems before then - strange.