Author Topic: Retained testicle (I'm confused)  (Read 1028 times)

Offline TheAdventuresofBarnaby

Retained testicle (I'm confused)
« on: June 29, 2017, 01:08:37 PM »
Young Barnaby is not fully hung.  Only one testicle has shownan appearance so far.

We're not overly concerned about this,  and will let time take its course.

But today I thought I'd do some lunchtime research to see when the second testicle should have made an appearance.

What I found was a huge number of posts here on COL.  And the ones I've read through seem to be conflicting in one very important way:

Some are stating categorically that there's a 12 -13X increase in the risk of cancer in a retained testicle,  whereas others say that latest findings are that there is no increased risk whatsoever.... only that spotting a problem visually would be impossible.

To save me trawling through hours of research,  can any COL members give me guidance and latest findings?

FWIW  we intend to keep Barnaby intact if possible.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Retained testicle (I'm confused)
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 01:30:13 PM »
My youngest boy had a retained.  My vet removed the retained testicle by keyhole surgery, and left the healthy one intact.  The retained was was sent for analysis and was found to be healthy.

I waited until he was 18 months old in case we had to, for any reason, fully neuter him but we didn't.

I don't believe there is no risk in leaving it - because it is internal it will be hotter than the normal descended testicle and this can cause issues.  Also, it's possibly deformed.

I don't intend to breed from my dog and this wasn't my reason for keeping him intact (although in his case his retained was not hereditary, it was developmental).

helen & jarvis x

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 02:07:21 PM »
Thanks Helen,  appreciated.

We'll keep a watchful eye for developments.  He's only 7 months old so there's plenty of time to let nature take its course, or decide if intervention is necessary.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 03:12:14 PM »
Humphrey also only has one. We had a scan done recently to attempt to detect where the other one was, - my vet said it might be possible to remove it without him being fully castrated, which would have been a good option, Humphrey's however appears to still be in the stomach cavity and is barely visible, so removing it would be a bigger deal altogether. In the vet's opinion, they only really start to cause problems, if at all, after the age of about 5 so he has recommended yearly scans for the time being, just to monitor what's happening.
The scan itself was absolutely no problem, (Humphrey found it boring and fell asleep!) isn't invasive and cost us €30,00 so, in our case at least, seems to be the best way forward. I too have read so much conflicting information, depending on whether its from UK, US or Germany  but I get the impression that the general trend is the belief that its not as high a risk as previously thought. I hope I'm making the right decision but would also be interested to hear if anyone learns of any new research, it does seem to be particularly common in cockers I think.

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 04:02:03 PM »
I think we'll ask the breeder about this issue in Barnaby's father,  brothers and half brothers.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 06:05:33 PM »
I think we'll ask the breeder about this issue in Barnaby's father,  brothers and half brothers.

[/quot

Keep me posted, would be interested to hear what she says. :D

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 07:23:33 PM »
In my dogs case it was the dam's 3rd litter and Jago was her first and only cryptorchid. 

Sire is from a well known trials kennel and I can assure you if he was throwing cryptorchids it would be widely known (again it was his first and only one - sire has normal testes and so does his sire).

I firmly think in Jago's case it was developmental and not hereditary ;)

helen & jarvis x

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 09:34:06 AM »
I'll update this thread after we've spoken with her Jayne.

Helen,, you seem to be right on the ball with this ( excuse pun).  By developmental,  do you mean that its sometimes the case that other organs grow at a faster rate than the testicles, effetely pushing them into incorrect position in the abdominal cavity?

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 01:02:26 PM »
yes - and I think pup size and litter size could have something to do with it -  in Jago's litter there were 6 VERY chunky pups (and 1 very small feisty girl who survived and who is brilliant!) so I doubt there was much room in the womb.

Sire and dam are both average size so not sure why these pups were so big (and no, there's not a stray springer in the pedigree ;) )
helen & jarvis x

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 03:22:19 PM »
yes - and I think pup size and litter size could have something to do with it -  in Jago's litter there were 6 VERY chunky pups (and 1 very small feisty girl who survived and who is brilliant!) so I doubt there was much room in the womb.

Sire and dam are both average size so not sure why these pups were so big (and no, there's not a stray springer in the pedigree ;) )

That's a VERY interesting theory, - Humphrey was one of 7 and as far as I know, his brother had the same!! Has this been researched do you know? - (purely out of interest)

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 05:39:45 PM »
Interesting. My first cocker and his litter mate brother (owned by my dad) both had one retained testicle. We always assumed it was genetic.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 06:27:30 PM »
If it's any help, my Milo's did not descend until he was 11 and three quarter months old. Dylan's dropped at around eight months.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 01:07:15 PM »
A couple of months on,  Barnaby's now 9 months old,  and an update on developments.

Well an update on no developments actually.  We`re still awaiting an appearance from number two.

Our vet`s had a good look at him and thinks we`d do best to wait and see.

The breeder has confirmed that Sire and as far as she knows all his brothers and half brothers are completely normal.  She was very concerned that we were about to leap at taking a surgical solution,  and here advice too was to wait and see.

For sure Barnaby is blissfully ignorant of his predicament and is growing into the handsome and spirited young dog that we hoped him to be.

Moore updates to follow as the adventure progresses.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2017, 02:54:36 PM »
I was recently intouch with the owner of Humphrey's brother, who has the same. She has decided to have the undescended one removed as her previous cocker had the same condition and his apparantly hardened and eventually caused problems. She also believes it is genetic.
There do seem to be many opinions on this and many people with different experiences, so like you, I have decided to follow my vet's advice and wait and see.
Glad to hear Barnaby's unpeturbed by his conditon, as is Humphrey - do you think we need to tell them they both have something in  common with Arnie Schwarzenegger? 💪💪.  :005:
Thanks for the update.... ;)