Author Topic: Anal glands or something else  (Read 2098 times)

Offline Turnwood11

Anal glands or something else
« on: June 23, 2019, 02:00:08 PM »
Hi all!

My 7 year old has been sensitive over his rear end for a fortnight now. It began one Friday evening when he placed his feet on the bottom stairs ready to propel himself upwards as usual but he cried out and ran away - almost like he’d stood on a pin! I checked the stairs and him all over but found nothing.  For the next week or so he was tucking his tail under more and more and yelping if we went near.  He was climbing stairs and jumping stuff relatively okay though. He’s done similar before and it was his anal glands and as we’ve recently changed him to a new diet we assumed that’s all it was.  It wasn’t getting worse but it wasn’t getting better either so I took him to the vet last Wednesday. He screamed when I picked him up to the table. She checked him all over and said everything seemed normal although his glands were full but not infected.  She emptied them but he screamed in agony with both; he’s never reacted that bad before although he always has been quite a drama queen.  Since then he seems in much more pain. He doesn’t like climbing the stairs when normally he’d bound up them, he has to be coaxed to jump on to the sofa or bed, he won’t let us pick him up, his tail is tucked under all the time and in general he’s really blue and seems in a lot of pain.  Sometimes when we touch the painful area (deliberately or accidentally when brushing past) he cries out and at the same time he releases a bit of urine. I wondered if that could be just because he’s tensing that area  in reaction to the pain? I’ve looked as best I can and I can’t find evidence of a sting, no cuts, no grass seeds (he gets a lot this time of year in all sorts of areas).  It appears to hurt mostly around his retractable penis muscle and where it leads towards his anus and glands. He’s entire so I’ve checked his testies and have not found any lumps, he also lets me look with no concern.  He tends to be more sensitive over the penis area

He’s going to the toilet as normal with no sign of blockage or pain (he doesn’t cry when passing). He’s eating and drinking as normal but he is very quiet and not his playful self. 

He has always hated us “fiddling” since a young age. He hates the vets, being groomed and being touched if he has something painful like a grass seed stuck so our vet has always said he’s a bit of an over reactor.  Having said that he’s clearly in pain and getting no better as the days go on so I’m worried!  The vet said they’d start him on a course of pain killers if he doesn’t stop screaming when we go near him but I’d rather try and get to the bottom (no pun intended) of what’s wrong first. Has anyone had similar?  I wondered if he’d strained a muscle those weeks ago and she’s bruised it/made it worse by emptying his glands.  I wondered about a UTI but he’s not drinking/peeing more than usual.  I’m not sure what else it could be!!

Any knowledge or experience very much appreciated.  Thank you!

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: Anal glands or something else
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 02:20:21 PM »
Could be an infection around his penis. Otherwise, the reluctance to navigate stairs or jump up on furniture sounds like it could be spine/ disc related. I’d stop encouraging him from jumping up onto anything, let him rest. Crate him if possible, get some painkillers from vet and see if any improvement. Cockers are quite prone to disc related issues. Mine was diagnosed with ivdd at around 7, and showed similar symptoms to yours.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Anal glands or something else .
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 02:56:26 PM »
Hi and welcome. I do agree that they can be little drama queens  :lol2:, however something clearly isn‘t right. My main concern with prescribing pain killers without a diagnosis would be that you‘re possibly less likely to notice if it,  (whatever the cause is ) gets worse. A UTI could be detected or ruled out by taking blood/urine samples and surely there‘s be some procedure for finding out if there was an infection under the foreskin. (quite comon in incastrated males apparantly).
I can only speak for my present and my last dog but neither gave the impression of experiencing pain while having their glands emptied, (although they weren’t exactly over enthusiastic!  :005:) which might suggest there is a problem there perhaps.
Personally, I‘d  go for a second opinion if the problem isn‘t get better and you get no joy from your vet. Hopefully its nothing serious but without a proper diagnosis painkillers are a bit hit and miss, I‘d think
Best of luck!

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 03:06:08 PM »
Hi,

We had many anal glad problems over the past few years (resulting in removal), but it really doesnt sound like that is the problem (in my opinion).

If it were me I would rest for 7 days without any stairs ( up or down), very short walks on flat ground, no jumping on chairs etc.  If no sign of improvement then have his lower spine / hips / knees x-rayed or even better an mri to eliminate any joint / disc problems.  Be aware though they manipulate the joints to get the best readings which can reverse any improvements.

Offline Turnwood11

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 05:05:03 PM »
Thank you all.  It certainly seems to be getting worse not better and apart from a small walk, he has spent the entire day on his bed. 

I have a problem in that we have sadly lost all trust in our vets after some recent incidents.  Finlay is epileptic and our vet prescribed him tablets for a persistent cough that were unsuitable for epileptics.   Anaesthetic is also a concern for dogs with the condition.  I think I’ll try another vet and see what they suggest...

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 05:57:29 PM »
Maybe someone could recommend a vets if you let us know where you are ?

Offline Turnwood11

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 09:15:37 PM »
That would be good, thank you.  We’re Bury St Edmunds.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 04:19:46 PM »
Moreton Hall Vets in B St Ed’s. My sister in law recommends.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Darwin

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 03:06:30 PM »
I  hadn’t posted as I’ve got too much personal experience on cockers with back problems, but have had my fingers crossed hoping it not a back / spinal issue,  so  just wondering if there’s any news on how your little one is doing ?  Is he any better ?