Author Topic: eye bogies!  (Read 5973 times)

Anonymous

eye bogies!
« on: February 07, 2003, 12:10:24 PM »
my son describes Jessies mornings eye 'tears' as eye bogies and to be honest I can see why, but they are normal arne't they?  I know jessie is the kind of cocker whos eyes droop aswell when she tired I have been told that not all cockers eyes droop but some do, jessie is one of them, looks like shes been out all night   ;D but as for her eyes weeping, its just now and again but reminded me to ask when I saw this thread about eyes a little way down.                    

Offline Jo W

• Site Member
eye bogies!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2003, 12:53:37 PM »
Eye bogies - what a horrible name  :-

I've always called it 'sleep' - am I odd  ???

Anyway, Amber gets some gluey 'bogey' stuff every morning and she's not droopey eye'd - my rottie gets it too.... probably not quite as much though.                    

Anonymous

eye bogies!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2003, 12:56:20 PM »
Eye bogies - what a horrible name  

yes well thats my kids for you...blame their dad I do                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
eye bogies!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2003, 02:59:24 PM »
"Sleep" is what I was brought up with and it is normal ;D. All dogs get it just the same as we do. Some seem to have more than others but I think some of that is down to how often you clean it out.

I wipe my boys eyes every day without fail - sometimes two or three times. Particularly on Buddy as he can get tear stains. My mother in law has a little Yorkie who gets a lot and she almost never wipes his eyes - leaves to the quarterly grooming parlour - I think it looks so awful.

Some cockers have more droppy lower eye lids than others - that again is normal though if they are too droopy it can cause problems.

hth ;D                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
eye bogies!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2003, 03:07:22 PM »
Lotties eyes are fairly droopy, what sort of problems are we talking about?                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Jo W

• Site Member
eye bogies!
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2003, 03:13:35 PM »
If Amber's eyes are not droopy now (she's 9 1/2) does that mean they never will?  I must admit I thought it was an 'age' thing   ???                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
eye bogies!
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2003, 03:34:53 PM »
Not always an age thing but linked to breeding - ie in the genes so to speak. The problems are related to runny eyes and problems with getting dust and grit in there as it is so loose. Therefore they can get sore eyes and sometimes infections.

hth                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
eye bogies!
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2003, 03:53:21 PM »
The subject of droopy eyes/watery eyes came up fairly recently if you have a look here :http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewtopic . php?t=988

Mostly droopy eyes (ectropion) are inherited but sometimes you see it in older dogs who have an underactive thyroid - this condition seems to make everything droop so it's worth investgating if you have a middle-aged Cocker whose eyes start to look baggier than they did before.

Jane

PS I call it "sleep" too - maybe it's a regional thing ;D                    
Jane

Offline Jo W

• Site Member
eye bogies!
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2003, 04:00:27 PM »
Amber's eyes haven't changed shape/got bigger but sometimes look droopey when she's sleeping or just woken up.  I guess this is normal as they're not watery and she only gets 'eye bogies' in the morning??                    

Anonymous

eye bogies!
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2003, 06:00:38 PM »
PS I call it "sleep" too - maybe it's a regional thing  

well I call it sleep although I was talking about my kids of 5 and 7 and the seven year old prefers the errm other term  ::) ::)

and yes I wipe Jessies eyes frequently                    

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
eye bogies!
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2003, 11:14:33 PM »
Still laughing at the blame their dad I do comment Lynsey ;D  Chloes eyes are very droopy, always have been.  She looks like Deputy Dawg.!!  Don't have much trouble with them but they are a great early warning sign for me of her AIHA.  A few times a day I pull her eyelid down and her lips up.  Poor soul thinks it is all part of being a spaniel I am sure :D                    
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Anonymous

eye bogies!
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2003, 10:35:44 AM »
Still laughing at the blame their dad I do comment Lynsey ;D  Chloes eyes are very droopy, always have been.  She looks like Deputy Dawg.!!  Don't have much trouble with them but they are a great early warning sign for me of her AIHA.  A few times a day I pull her eyelid down and her lips up.  Poor soul thinks it is all part of being a spaniel I am sure :D  

well Sheryl he does get a lot of stick my hubby but I have to admit I couldn't be without him...but dont tell him ok?? he'll be hell after if he knows that :D   hes in good books though cos he took me to car showroom yesterday and told me to pick my new car..lol..bless! :D                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
eye bogies!
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2003, 11:13:47 PM »

Mostly droopy eyes (ectropion) are inherited but sometimes you see it in older dogs who have an underactive thyroid - this condition seems to make everything droop so it's worth investgating if you have a middle-aged Cocker whose eyes start to look baggier than they did before.

Jane

PS I call it "sleep" too - maybe it's a regional thing ;D

I've always called it 'sleep' as well.

As for your quote Jane, I think I must have an underactive thyroid too ;D :o                    

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
eye bogies!
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2003, 09:37:24 AM »
Phoebe has a fair bit of sleep in her eyes but they are quite droopy. It has been a bit worse over the last week or so as its been quite windly. I just make sure they are wipted and check that the colour doesn't change. :)                    
Anita