Author Topic: What to do?  (Read 1638 times)

Offline 41deacon

• Site Member
What to do?
« on: April 18, 2006, 03:56:33 AM »
My Cocker Puppy is a great specemin and looks good. I do not plan on mating him though. This being said, should I get him fixed? I here this screws up there coat. On the other hand I here getting fixed will eliminate him marking in the house and roaming for a mate. I want to do what will give him the best and healthiest life. What is your opinion?

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: What to do?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 06:13:02 AM »
There have been a couple of recent discussions about this; here is some of my post in one of those threads:

IMO There are good reasons for neutering - it can help resolve problems of fighting between males, anxiety at the smell of a bitch in season, and obviously remove the risk of testicular cancer. IMO its all about weighing up the benefits against the risks.

I'm not anti-neutering, and if a dog experiences any of these problems, I would consider neutering as a responsible thing to do but there are risks associated with the procedure.  There is evidence of an increase in prostate cancer, and bone cancer in some breeds, as well as cosmetic issues like the changes to the coat that occurs in some dogs.

Personally, I would suggest waiting until your puppy is at least 12-18 months old - this will allow him to mature, physically and phsychologically; and you have a more accurate idea of whether he shows any of the behaviour that neutering may modify.

Many people involved in animal rescue believe that it is irresponsible not to neuter; but as long as you are confident you can ensure your dog won't ever stray, then he won't ever sire puppies accidently  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 07:27:11 AM »
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline anita96

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 08:36:52 AM »
Your puppy is lovely, I would agree with rachel I would wait and see how he is, let him mature and get to know what he is about first.  Castration isn't always the answer to straying etc more often than not it's training.  Good luck.
Working Cockers aren't mad it's the owners!!!

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 10:52:11 AM »
I'm in favour of neutering as soon as possible (don't know what age - the vet will advise).  It doesn't necessarily stop aggression problems but what it does prevent is testicular cancer at a later age.  Dogs are living a lot longer nowadays and a lot of entire dogs are getting testicular or prostate cancer as they get older.  Castration will prevent this and help your dog to live a long and happy life.

Offline spanielkiss

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 11:14:06 AM »
Hi ,i would wait and see . He might not spray in the house or run around looking for a mate ,all dogs are different .
I had one of mine done early and he still sprays in the house when something new is presented . >:( He also chases my girl around when nearing her heat cycle .One more troubling thing is his weight , he got fat and constantly has to diet , he a big gentle bear though  : :D

Good luck , with your decision Sally

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 11:17:50 AM »
They don't all have a weight problem after neutering.  Dillon has been neutered & is still very athletic in build.  He never eats more than he needs and is very bouncy so burns up caloroes very fast.  On the other hand, my fisr cocker (35 years ago) was not neutered and had a tendency to gain weight in his middle years. 

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 11:21:02 AM »
Dogs are living a lot longer nowadays and a lot of entire dogs are getting testicular or prostate cancer as they get older.  Castration will prevent this and help your dog to live a long and happy life.

There is research that indicates that neutering is linked to an increase in prostate cancer, though; although less severe prostate problems are more common in entire dogs - I can post some links to the reseach papers if anyone is interested.....  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 11:56:16 AM »
If you do decide to neuter then Id wait untill he was at least a year, preferably 18 months old. This will give him time to grow and mature fully. You will probably find that he wont mark (my lads never did) and straying is a training issue
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Fletty

• Site Member
    • Cumberland Sausage
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 01:19:56 PM »
Personally, I've never had my dogs neutered and have never had a problem.  Well thats not entirely true.  A Jack Russel terrier that lives 2 doors down would cause Tango to become a little restless when she was on heat.  He didnt stray, but she did.  She got into ourngarden, took advantage of Tango then waddled off home leaving him laying on the grass looking bemused.  The result was a collection of jet black, long eared, short legged Jack Spaniels.  But they were lovely.
I would anticipate that like me, if your dogs personality is one which you dont want to cahnge then you probably wont want to risk it changin by neutering.

Over to you

Stu
Dont eat yellow snow

Offline JoanneM

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2006, 05:20:02 PM »
Murphy was done at 6 months, only because my OHs mum looks after him on weekdays and she has a bitch from the same litter. We wanted her to have a season before being spayed and didn't want any funny business. I can't see any difference in him since being done (apart from his missing bits), his coat is healthy and he hasn't gained any weight.
My family worried that he'd "change" after been done, grow up overnight and lose his wackiness - no chance!!!
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2006, 07:22:20 PM »

I would anticipate that like me, if your dogs personality is one which you dont want to cahnge then you probably wont want to risk it changin by neutering.

Over to you

Stu

This was my OH arguement AGAINST having Alfie done. Well hes been done and theres been no change in personality :)

But then I had waited till he was 18 months
Caroline and Alfie