Author Topic: Treatment of diarrhoea  (Read 4683 times)

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Treatment of diarrhoea
« on: March 12, 2003, 03:48:08 PM »
For the trillionth time since Chloe has been on the chemotherapy treatment, she managed to get yet another infection of something, somewhere.!!  I took her to the vets because she was sick a week past Sunday.  She got the usual, anti sickness injection and antibiotic injection plus 10 days of Synulox tablets.  Six days later she developed diarrhoea.  I took her back and the vet thought that as she was quite bright in herself her bowel was maybe having a reaction to the Synulox.  He changed her to Noridine and she has been much better since.  Someone suggested to me that if I had given her yoghurt whilst on the Synulox, she may not have got the diarrhoea.  Does anyone know if this is the case?  Have you ever used it and did it work?  I don't want to go overloading her system with stuff if it is of no use to her.  Not only that but if she develops a taste for yoghurt too it will cost us a fortune in Ski ;D                    
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Christine

• Site Member
Treatment of diarrhoea
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2003, 04:20:33 PM »
Hello!!!!  We had this with Jasper when we first got him, we tried the Yoghurt and it did work, however it does need to be BIO Live yoghurt, that is what the experts on here told me ;D  It cleared up after a few days of this.  What does Chloe eat?  excuse my ignorance, with her illness is she eating special food at all?

If not, dried buscuits has also helped Jasper, everytime he eats tinned food he gets the runs.

HTH ;D                    
Jaspers mummy :)

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Treatment of diarrhoea
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2003, 04:56:42 PM »
Hi Sheryl,
As Christine says it is the live yogurt that helps with upset tums. The yogurt helps to line the stomach and the friendly bacteria help to kill off the unfriendly bugs >:(
I usually give a dessertspoonful twice a day but as its not medicinal you can't overdose. Also I've never known it make a situation worse, its always worked for mine.
hope this helps also
Michele :)

PS Have just found these links to similar threads

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewtopic . php?t=1445

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewtopic . php?t=1237                    

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Treatment of diarrhoea
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2003, 10:17:33 PM »
Will certainly keep this yoghurt thing in mind for the next time Chloe gets this.  Usually her being ill just consists of her not being her usual self.  This sickness and diarrhoea is a new thing.!!  Chloe tells me well in advance by scuttling off into corners and not being with me.  As soon as she starts this I know something is brewing.  Michele, when you say you give it twice a day, is that when your baby is ill or all the time?  Chloe eats dried food Christine.  Because she cannot go places other dogs go, her exercise is limited to when we can find somewhere fairly safe.  I have her on Pedigree Advance Light for couch potatoes ;D but always with a bit of chicken or beef with it.  I looked at the naturediet site that someone mentioned with a view to maybe trying that but I am so aware with Chloe that she is on a knife edge of health that I am even frightened to change her diet. :-  Did you both use the yoghurt in conjunction with normal diet or did you do it while on the 24 hour starvation days.  I tell you, this pooch will be the death of me.....                    
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Treatment of diarrhoea
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2003, 10:50:52 PM »
All our lot have live yoghurt on a regular basis, not just when they are ill - they love it ;D If we do have one with a dodgy tummy (v rare event), then I would still give the yoghurt even if they were on a 24 hour fast. It really does work :)                    
Jane

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Treatment of diarrhoea
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2003, 05:50:33 PM »
Michele, when you say you give it twice a day, is that when your baby is ill or all the time?  

Sheryl,
ditto as Jane really, they do have it from time to time when they are ok and also like Jane's its not very often that one of them does get an upset tum, but yoghurt is the first thing I give them :D                    

Offline FionaM

• Site Member
Treatment of diarrhoea
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2003, 08:17:02 AM »
My Poppy seems to get an upset tummy quite often - about once a month I think. I've started giving her live yoghurt when she's ill but I think I'm going to start giving it to her regularly after reading this thread  :)                    
Fiona & Poppy :)

Offline Jo W

• Site Member
Treatment of diarrhoea
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2003, 09:17:36 AM »
I never knew that live yoghurt helped diarrohea...  :o  Billy was poorly the other week, I wish I'd known this then...  Someone suggested Arrowroot biscuits because it 'binds' their tummies.  I couldn't find any in my local shops though  :(