Author Topic: Red Eyes  (Read 9358 times)

Offline ETavernor

• Site Member
Red Eyes
« on: March 16, 2003, 09:44:55 PM »
After taking Scooby for a walk this afternoon I noticed that the whites of his eyes appeared quite red.  His eyes are a little weapy but have been ever since we have had him.  I've just checked again and they still look red.  Am quite worried.  Does anyone know what this might be?  Will phone the vets in the morning.

Emma                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Red Eyes
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2003, 11:45:38 PM »
Don't think you need to bother the vet Emma unless you think Scooby's eyes are sore. Scooby has unpigmented third eyelids & these often go pink particularly after exercise - could this be what you mean? We've discussed the causes of watery eyes etc on here before - have a look here :http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewtopic . php?t=988 Slightly watery eyes are quite common in puppies, particularly when they are teething & are generally nothing to worry about unless the eyes are obviously sore (puppy rubbing eyes or keeping them shut etc).                    
Jane

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Red Eyes
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2003, 09:40:09 AM »
Emma

Phoebe's whites are quite red  :o and they always have been. When she had her first check at the vets they said they were fine. She has quite droopy eyes as well but they aren't too watery.

They have never been sore and there's never any discoloured discharge but I do keep an eye (!!) on them.                    
Anita

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Red Eyes
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2003, 10:10:54 AM »
Buttons are quite red too :- and I think because of her liver pigment it makes it look worse :-X                    

Offline ETavernor

• Site Member
Red Eyes
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2003, 07:22:50 PM »
Thanks guys.  Once again you have put my mind at rest!  This morning Scooby's eyes were fine again.  I have noticed they go red after exercise - as Jane mentioned.

Emma                    

Offline Inca

• Site Member
Red Eyes
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2003, 07:36:12 PM »
I've watched replies to this topic with interest as Inca also has one eye that often goes red especially after exercise. I was concernerned enough to take him to the vet who prescribed an antbiotic cream. This seemed to eleviate the problem but only for as long as I used the cream. Incas third eyelid in the affecyed eye is also none pigmented. The vet suggested that if the cream didn't work he may need an operation :'(                    
Sandra, John and Inca

Offline Allison

• Site Member
    • http://
Red Eyes
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2003, 09:32:58 PM »
I have found Sallys eyes go red after exercise, I put it down to her pulling on the new lead. she was only allowed out last tuesday and I was quite shocked to see her eyes after the small walk, I went straight out and bought her a padded little harness. ::) No red eye now. :)                    
Allison, Neil & Sally.xxxxxxxxxx

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Red Eyes
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2003, 10:40:55 PM »
I've watched replies to this topic with interest as Inca also has one eye that often goes red especially after exercise. I was concernerned enough to take him to the vet who prescribed an antbiotic cream. This seemed to eleviate the problem but only for as long as I used the cream. Incas third eyelid in the affecyed eye is also none pigmented. The vet suggested that if the cream didn't work he may need an operation :'(

Hi Sandra

Do you know why your vet felt Inca might need an operation? I'd ask for a second opinion if I were you as it is perfectly normal for unpigmented third eyelids to go pink after exercise or when the dog is tired. It's a cosmetic "problem" if you can call it a problem, not a medical one. I'd be interested to know what kind of surgery your vet would be wanting to do - sounds a bit odd to me knowing how common this is in Cockers & many other breeds too.

Jane                    
Jane

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Red Eyes
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2003, 09:39:14 AM »
I agree with Jane - both my boys eyes can go red from time to time - its not sore or weeping or anything like that. Was Inca's sore or weeping Sandra? It does seem rather hasty giving antibiotics and considering surgery for something that is pretty normal.

I would want a full explanation from the vet of exactly what he thinks the problem is and whay and what courses of treatment would be recommended and why.

I do hope the vet hasn't worried you Sandra - coz I don't think there is any need from what you have said here.                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline munners

• Site Member
    • http://www.kadreem-cockers.com
Red Eyes
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2003, 05:39:59 PM »
I have noticed this with my girls on occasion and i bathe there eyes with a warm used tea bag it really does work.

nicki                    

Offline Inca

• Site Member
Red Eyes
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2003, 06:49:49 PM »
Jane and Pammy
Just to fill you in on what the vet said.
She said that inca may have Distichiasis (double layer of eyelashes) although she couldn't be certain unless she sedated him to have a closer look. I have been told to take him back in 4weeks if they are still red.
the operation would involve removing eyelashes.
He doesn't have weepy eyes nor do they show any sign of discharge.
Incas eyes only go red after exercise, when he is tired or feeling a little under the weather.
Yes it is worrying.
The reason for taking him to the vet was due to comments about how red his eye was although they didn't bother him nor was he rubbing them. :)                    
Sandra, John and Inca

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Red Eyes
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2003, 07:06:00 PM »
inca may have Distichiasis (double layer of eyelashes)

I hope it's not this as it is a very painful condition. Jane will know more - but I think this condition is likely to be inherited - in which case it could be worthwhile having word with Inca's breeder to see if there are any other similar cases in the same litter.

What is usually seen with this though is a discharge and clearly very sore eyes.

Fingers x'd that Inca does not have this.                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Red Eyes
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2003, 08:17:48 PM »
If they eyes look red but Inca doesnt seem to be in any discomfort, then it might even be ectropion or entropion (did you know they are human conditions too  :o), which are quite common - and less serious - and have been discussed previously on this site.

There, that's my internet diagnosis for today  ;D                    

Offline Inca

• Site Member
Red Eyes
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2003, 09:11:09 PM »
Thanks Mike I'll keep a close watch and take him back just to make sure.
I'll also take a look at previous threads. Cheers for the info ;D
Pammy.. Inca does not have any discharge and at no time has he ever seemed in any dicomfort thank goodness :) :)                    
Sandra, John and Inca

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Red Eyes
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2003, 10:39:12 PM »
Hi Sandra

Inca could well have distichiasis as many Cocker Spaniels do to a greater or lesser degree - mostly no treatment is required as the extra lashes are often soft & fine & cause the dog no discomfort at all. If Inca had distichiasis that needed treating, he would be in pain - his eyes would water & he would be pawing & rubbing at his eyes. From what you say, his eyes cause him no bother at all so I would say your vet is jumping the gun to suggest he might need an operation. He also doesn't have entropion as that is a very painful condition. I'd say you have nothing to worry about - if Inca's eyes aren't bothering him, you don't need to do anything at all & I wouldn't be taking him back to the vet for further investigation - just my opinion :)                    
Jane