Author Topic: Sore Feet  (Read 3305 times)

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
Sore Feet
« on: May 11, 2006, 05:24:48 PM »
My pooches are both chewing their paws? Do you think they've picked up sometimg from our walk? I've washed them but they are still doing it? Any ideas?

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Re: Sore Feet
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 06:33:53 PM »
My pooches are both chewing their paws? Do you think they've picked up sometimg from our walk? I've washed them but they are still doing it? Any ideas?

Could they have walked somewhere thats been sprayed with a chemical or pesticide Lisa?

Or freshly cut grass?

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 06:42:50 PM »

Could they have walked somewhere thats been sprayed with a chemical or pesticide Lisa?

Or freshly cut grass?

no freshly cut grass. I am wondering about the chemical or pesticicde though, what shall I do? I have scrubbed their paws and they are still doing it!

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 06:52:44 PM »

no freshly cut grass. I am wondering about the chemical or pesticicde though, what shall I do? I have scrubbed their paws and they are still doing it!

I'm not sure Lise, I do know if an area has been sprayed they are supposed to put signs up warning people, although sadly it doesn't always happen ::)

Can you stand them in the bath for a while, in tepid water, see if that helps?  But don't go lifting hun ;)

Hope their little tootsies are better soon x

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 06:58:43 PM »
Do you have any aloe vera gel in the house? This is lovely and soothing - if their paws are irritated, it might just help  :huh:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 07:09:03 PM »

I'm not sure Lise, I do know if an area has been sprayed they are supposed to put signs up warning people, although sadly it doesn't always happen ::)

Can you stand them in the bath for a while, in tepid water, see if that helps?  But don't go lifting hun ;)

Hope their little tootsies are better soon x

Lee is out!! So I'm stuck with the lifting!!! Although Nancy has been known to leap into the bath!!! Thanks for the help hun  :-* I didnt see any signs, but like you say they may not have put them up x

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 07:11:12 PM »
Do you have any aloe vera gel in the house? This is lovely and soothing - if their paws are irritated, it might just help  :huh:

Thanks Rachel. I put some aloe vera on when we got in but unfortunatley its done nothing :'( I think I might try some piriton, although I cant really with milo as he has had some already today for his hayfever.

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 07:14:55 PM »
Try dipping their paws in a bowl of lukewarm salt water.
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 07:28:44 PM »
I agree with happydog - try some luke warm saline - if nothing else it may taste horrid enough for them to stop chewing and therefore lessen the aggrevation  ;)
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 07:30:56 PM »
lise - could it be nettles??  jarv went nuts with nettly paws the other night....lasted a couple of hours before his poorly paws settled down

hope the kids are feeling better now...
helen & jarvis x

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 08:10:09 PM »
I would try some antihistamine because if it's already been in contact with the skin the irritation has been triggered. Washing will remove any further irritant but antihistamine wille ase the immediate reaction.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2006, 08:27:09 PM »
It could be ear mites as there can be transferred whn they scratch their ears. Do you have piriton? Or savlon cream even, or sudocrem - from your baby bounty bag?

Thornit also worth a try.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2006, 08:35:30 PM »
I've just phoned the vet because it has got worse even though I've given them piriton and tried all the other suggestions ( thanks guys). He said someone else has called where I walked tonight with the same problem  :-\ :huh: I am worried about what the hell has been put in that field.

Anyway he said I am to put socks on all their paws ( so now i have to hunt 8 cocker sized socks!) and under the socks a layer of vaseline and before I go to bed given them another piriton, and bring them in in the morning, unless it gets any worse. He has seen the other dog because the person hadnt given piriton or done anything but he says it sounds like i have things under control but to call him if they are in any more discomfort.. He wants me to go to the fields tomorrow and pull up some grass and crops with gloves on  :o and bring it in. I am a little worried about what he thinks it might be.

Milo is gonna be zonked on piriton today! But the vet said that it was fine, he'd only give them a strong anthistamine jab if i brought them now, thats what he did for the other dog.

Offline Rachel B

• Site Member
  • Look at me!!!!
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2006, 08:39:58 PM »
Poor milo and nancy!

I really hope it calms down for them. 

Rachel & James and a waggly tail from Mr Barningham

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2006, 08:41:04 PM »
Ohh Lisa, sorry to hear this :'(

Do me a favour, send Lee to pick the grass, don't you do it!   :police:

Hope they are ok by the morning, let us know what happens won't you :D

I think you should stay away from the area yourself though, for the time being ;)