Author Topic: First Aid Kit  (Read 4200 times)

Offline Jo W

• Site Member
First Aid Kit
« on: March 20, 2003, 04:23:51 PM »
Billy cut his pad the other week  :( and although it didn't need a visit to the vet, it did need cleaning up and a bandage applying....  I didn't have anything in the house and after about an hour of driving around Leicester trying to find an all-night chemist  >:( I finally got what I needed.  I've decided to put a first aid kit together and the PDSA suggest the following contents.  I though the info might be useful to other members...  I'm going to add a bottle of Hibiscrub to my kit...  :)

Bandages
Roll of 2.5cm adhesive
2 x rolls crepe bandage plus safety pins
2 x rolls of white open-weave/conforming
Two x 100g boxes of cotton wool
Clean pieces of sheeting
One box of sterilised white absorbent gauze
One 100g box of absorbent lint
Emergency muzzle ties
2 x 1.5m lengths of strong tape
Swabs
Water wash bottle
Tweezers
5" flat scissors with round ends
Bicarbonate and Vinegar
One tube of ointment
Antihistamine cream
Antibacterial cream

For larger animals it is also useful to have access to a rug or blanket that can be used as a stretcher

For dogs in particular -

Heavy duty nail clippers specifically designed for using on dogs

Strong dog lead                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
First Aid Kit
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2003, 09:04:47 PM »
That's a good idea Jo :) I would add a few things like a thermometer (preferably digital) & something that will stop bleeding quickly like potassium permanganate (v useful for ripped nails etc) & maybe a tube of eye ointment for minor eye infections. I'll probably think of even more things later ;D                    
Jane

Offline shaendix

• Site Member
    • espanielcockerspaniels.co.nz
First Aid Kit
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2003, 08:37:05 AM »
I would add Rescue Remedy and Arnica                    

Offline Jo W

• Site Member
First Aid Kit
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2003, 10:09:34 AM »
I would add Rescue Remedy and Arnica

Rescue remedy is a good one...  So is the potassium permanganate - where would you buy that from?  :)

I'd also add a sterile saline spray - I had to use this on myself for a while and found it brilliant for the dogs too...  More expensive than making your own salty water but much more convenient...                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
First Aid Kit
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2003, 12:08:37 PM »
I get my potassium permanganate from my local chemist but I've also seen it at farmers supplies shops (though if you only want a small pot, a small, old-fashioned type of pharmacy would be your best bet)                    
Jane

Anonymous

First Aid Kit
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2003, 02:27:48 PM »
I ahve a doggie first aid kit that her previous owner gave me still in its wrapping, but looking in there it doesn't have half this stuff, it has the basics, it looks like it was a freebie from pro plan...will have to add to it                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
First Aid Kit
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2003, 12:17:36 AM »
Good idea to mention this. I actually have more items in my doggy first aid kit than I do in the bathroom cabinet :-

Handy Hint:
An everyday household item that can be used in an emergency for cut pads or bleeding quicks/torn nails is cornflour or alternatively custard powder. As both are coagulants they will help to suppress the bleeding. This would only be used for light injuries of course and in the short term.                    

Offline Hel

• Site Member
First Aid Kit
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2003, 08:28:26 PM »
I'd also add iodine.