Author Topic: Billy's blood test wound is looking sore & nasty  (Read 4732 times)

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
Re: Billy's blood test wound is looking sore & nasty
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2006, 10:02:59 PM »
I put a flanel to it and its got blood on it  :'( :'( Now he won't let me near it and has run away. Poor Bill  :'(  I am thinking of taking him for a quick walk, maybe the fresh air will do it some good ????

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2006, 10:04:01 PM »

Sorry, for the diversion Jan - I hope Billy recovers really soon :(

No problem  ;)

Penel

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2006, 10:04:32 PM »
Make sure you walk him on a harness Jan in case the collar rubs.... if its still bad in the morning, you might have to take him back to the vets.... did you try putting Aloe Vera gel on it or haven't you got any ?

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2006, 10:11:14 PM »
Make sure you walk him on a harness Jan in case the collar rubs.... if its still bad in the morning, you might have to take him back to the vets.... did you try putting Aloe Vera gel on it or haven't you got any ?

I was trying to find his old harness other than that I am going to have to  put the collar  loosely on his neck. No I haven't put anything on it as i didn't have any Aloe vera. I'm useless!! He's due back at the vets tomorrow anyway i just hope he doesn't have to wear a lampshade as i think he's managing to lick it by really straining his neck  :'( :'(

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2006, 10:24:36 PM »
He won't let me put anything near his neck so I've given up on the walk. I've opened the back door instead to let a breeze in the house  :-\

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2006, 11:35:43 PM »
do you know I would kind of just keep it dry as possible  - Honeys really did get quite sore looking around it and I think it was as much the effects of shaving it as taking the blood.She developed red skin and a some crusted areas over hwere they had shaved. I suppose they get quite warm around the neck area too - which probably isn' t helping.

Hope the vet can sort him out tomorrow

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2006, 11:44:08 PM »
Thinking of you both and I hope Billy's neck gets better soon and they find out whats wrong with him.  Gentle cocker hugs from Melly xx
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Offline Emz

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2006, 04:23:45 PM »

Poor little guy,

A lot of dogs get sore after being shaved, its totally normal I am afraid. Unfortunately surgical spirit aggravates it terribly. It's a bit like putting lemon juice on a graze... very ouchy  :-\  I would leave it; it will weep a little and scab over. Once it’s scabbed it won’t be so sore. His vein is probably a bit sore too, much like a bruise. If it really persists and looks like its even more inflamed then ask you vet for some Hibiscrub, its antibacterial and does not sting  :blink: Hope that helps  :blink:

If you like your vet and your gut instinct is one of trust I would do just that  :blink: I would always recommend that owners wait in the waiting room for any procedure.
I know myself that my little pup is much more cooperative when I am not there. And to be honest its not very nice to see... gosh that sounds awful...  :blink: well let me just tell you what happens  :blink: The dog is usually popped onto a table, one nurse will be beside the dog, steadying it with one arm while lifting the dogs chin with the other hand. A nurse or vet shaves the neck to locate the vein, cleans the area, then inserts the needle and draws blood. Most nurses stroke and talk reassuringly to the dog the whole time. Now that doesn’t sound too bad, but most dogs don’t like being restrained, or to be stuck with needles! So it may take several nurses to hold the dog (not pinning it down might I add), and it may take more than one attempt!! In my experience it can all be done more quickly and with less anxiety if the owner is not present. VN's love animals, (esp. cockers IMO  :blink:)  otherwise they would have chosen a much better paid profession  :P

Sorry about the waffling, you should see my phone bill  :005:

I hope Billy feels better soon, viruses can be nasty, but it sounds like your vet is on top of it  :blink:

Keep us all posted, cocker-cuddle from Molly

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2006, 04:40:48 PM »
Emz am I getting the impression you are in this business? You sound very caring and professional indeed.

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2006, 05:47:13 PM »
Hows Billy today Jan? x

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2006, 10:27:13 PM »
Hope Billy is feeling better today.

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2006, 11:52:32 PM »
Billy has had a much better day today finally getting better or so i thought :-\. I took him to the vets tonight a much happier person as Billy appeared to be his usual happy self  :D. The vet saw the smile on my face too. He does not know what is wrong with Billy but the fact that he has improved over these past few days he said can only be a good sign. There is a chance it has been a very nasty virus he has picked up and he's found it hard to shake off.

Billy is on Synulox (anitbiotic) & Rimadyl( steroid) still for the next five days. The vet said if he has not continued to improve or worsens when the five days of medication is completed then i have to take him back and they will undertake further investigations. The investigations will be undertaken by my vet and Lancaster university  :huh:.  He said not to panic just keep an eye on him and look out for anything unusual.  He was very honest and said he feels bad that he cant give me a diagnosis but we have to see what the next few days bring and as billy has improved then hopefully this will be the end of it. I  was happy with this  as Billy had improved lots but now tonight he's gone a bt off again and is back to hiding and running round, he's hiding under my dining room curtains as i am typing :-\

His neck is hurting him. I have Fuciderm for it hopefully that should help ease it over the next few days.

We are going away for four days on Friday. Hopefully the break and the sea air will do him good. When we return he will have completed his course of treatment,so my plan of action i have agreed with the vet is that if he's not better when we return i will take him straight back. The vet says as he has not deteriorated any since tuesday we are best to wait until the treatment is finished and go from there so thats what we are doing. I do trust him, I honestly believe he has Billys best interests at heart and knows what he is doing.

Thank god he is insured otherwise that would be another worry, at least i can put that out of my mind. Where we are going on friday in the middle of nowhere! So i'm gonna find out the nearest vet just in case he takes ill whilst we are away. i've borrowed someones sat nav too so I don't have to worry too much about not being able to find the vets. i'm so paranoid!!

Penel - i couldn't for the life of me remember the name of the illness you mentioned when i got in the vets, bloomin typical. I'll write it down for next time i go  ::) ::)

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2006, 11:58:46 PM »
It could be the steroids that are giving him the huge appetite and they could be making him a bit jittery too! You may get a little dip when the steroids finish and then if all is well, he will pick up again.

Hopefully he has turned a corner. You know what it is like yourself when you have had a virus - sometimes you feel fine during the day, and then in the evening you are exhausted. Poor thing though he is probably feeling really strange because he does not know what is wrong!

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2006, 12:08:52 AM »
It could be the steroids that are giving him the huge appetite and they could be making him a bit jittery too! You may get a little dip when the steroids finish and then if all is well, he will pick up again.

Hopefully he has turned a corner. You know what it is like ypruself when you have had a virus - sometimes you feel fine during the day, and then in the evening you are exhausted. Poor thing though he is probably feeling really strange because he does not know what is wrong!

His appetite was huge before he started the steroids, he's been on them for 5 days and has had a big appetite for about 3 weeks. The vet said we need to see if he "can manage without the drugs"  :-\ so i dread to think what it will be like if he's worse off the drugs.

i am hoping its a virus but if I am honest i am starting to doubt it a bit now.

He keeps getting what appears to be waves of pain or something going through his body. He can be lay there all happy as larry then next thing hes up running away with tail in between his legs not knowing what to do. The worst thing is it happened twice tonight whilst i was cuddling him so now he associates me with feeling bad and is avoiding me. He is only friends with OH :'(.

Wish i didn't have to go to work tomorrow, he'll be checked on every 2 hours but just want to be with him all the time You don't realise the extent of how much you love them until you see them suffering .

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2006, 12:14:06 AM »
Poor boy - i hope they come up with something for him very soon.

I suppose there is no point in speculating. It is so worrying because you know there is something wrong - but he can't tell you. It is so disappointing when you think he is recovering and then tonight he is poorly again. Hopefully tomorrow will be more positive. I know what you mean about loving them - they are just like your own aren't they?