Author Topic: down below problems  (Read 9818 times)

Anonymous

down below problems
« on: April 23, 2003, 10:37:24 AM »
as you know I was wonering whether Jessie was comin into season because of the licking etc down that region, well after close examination this morning  :-X I found her bits to be oozing a yellowy discharge, now is this normal ie is it her season or could it be an infection???

worried mummy  ???                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
down below problems
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2003, 10:46:05 AM »
I think it is normal from what I have read in my Book of the Bitch, but I'm sure the others will be able to say for sure.  

Not much use really am I  ???                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Anonymous

down below problems
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2003, 10:49:48 AM »
awwww you are of use Dessie,  :)
I am just sitting here worried, cant ring vets yet as he's in surgery at moment, but have been searching all threads hopin shes gonna be ok, looked at another board and searched and they said there its vaginitis <sp> an it will clear itself on its own after first season, but well I just dont know if this is sound advice..                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
down below problems
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2003, 10:56:22 AM »
Yeah it sounds like vaginitis - not usually anything to worry about :) Licking & a yellowy discharge usually indicates this minor problem - if you're worried, then by all means check it out with your vet who may or may not prescribe antibiotics. It is v common though & often clears up by itself.

HTH :)

Jane                    
Jane

Anonymous

down below problems
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2003, 10:56:58 AM »
just read more and it says antibiotics might be needed...                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
down below problems
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2003, 10:59:10 AM »
Neither of my bitches have had a discharge during their seasons - so I dont know from my own experience if this is related to Jessies. Saying that, I wouldnt have thought a YELLOW discharge was season-related? But I could be wrong.

Jazz had two bouts of vaginitis in her first 6 months, which resulted in swelling and a discharge - unfortunately i cant remember whether it was a yellow one  :-[ (it was 2 years ago)

If it is Vaginitis, well, you may get differing opinions on how it is to be treated. Jazz had antibiotics the first time, and homeopathic rememdy the second (the vet was quite rightly hesitant to pump more antibiotics into her). I'd wait and speak to your vet when he comes out of surgery  :)                    

Anonymous

down below problems
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2003, 10:59:37 AM »
Yeah it sounds like vaginitis - not usually anything to worry about :) Licking & a yellowy discharge usually indicates this minor problem - if you're worried, then by all means check it out with your vet who may or may not prescribe antibiotics. It is v common though & often clears up by itself.

HTH :)

Jane

phew!... she flys in with a cape flying... and saves me tearing my hair out...  thanks Jane  ;D    I may keep an eye on her and see if it looks to be clearing itself, if not shes off to the vts, but I hate antiobiotics if they can be avoided, thats just me..  if she was in pain or anythin it would obviously be different.

other thing though can she pass it on to poppy???  poppys spayed just thouht i would add that incase its relevant

think I will still ring vets later, cos I have this ache in my heart that I am not doing everything for her when she needs me, maybe like Mike says theres something else that she can have instead of antibiotics...                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
down below problems
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2003, 11:12:38 AM »
Don't think you have to worry about Jessie passing anything nasty on to Poppy. When one of our bitches has had this in the past, it never seems to have been catching anyway :) I personally wouldn't opt for antibiotics as juvenile vaginitis does tend to clear up naturally after the first season, but this will be up to you & your vet to decide :)                    
Jane

Anonymous

down below problems
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2003, 11:16:08 AM »
well I just rang again and hes out of surgery, he said to bring her in at 2.30...he didn't sound very much like he liked the idea of her having an infection, and asked how old she was...and said yes yes bring her in today... ok now I have butterflys ... so I am set to go in at 2.30  :- I said I was told it sometimes cleared up on its own, but he said bring her in in his ever so stern voice... now I feel like a told off child...  ::)   good job I am now pushover face to face eh???                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
down below problems
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2003, 11:23:36 AM »
Don't worry Lynsey ;) The worst thing that will happen is that your vet will give Jessie a course of antibiotics & maybe a lecture on getting her spayed ;D Spayed bitches can get vaginitis though so don't let him intimidate you!                    
Jane

Anonymous

down below problems
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2003, 11:25:54 AM »
oh he doesn't...but you should see his wife!!!!   :o :o :o ;D  JOKE!

bet he mentions spaying cos he was so so so adamant I was wrong in waiting to have her spayed after her fist season... well at 2.30 wish me well..  :-                    

Anonymous

down below problems
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2003, 12:34:57 PM »
well I have rang around a few vets for advice... and they have all basically said they think its a womb infection rather than vaginitis ... have to worry here cos Jessie today is just laying around not running around like her usual self, but surely she would be ill if this was the case, but one said something about it being brought on by her age and forthcoming season.

another said if the discharge was just stringy then it would be normal just her season on its way... but as jessies is thick gungey stuff, she agreed it was likely to be womb infection, now I am scared just in case it is that, although how do I 'know' it is and them not just saying it is... ok head spinning..

ok I know I was planning on having her spayed after this season anyways, so really if they tell me its her best interest to be spayed now it wont matter much to me at all, but will it afect her??? ... I thought I was clear, and then rang around for advice for them only to make me more muddled                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
down below problems
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2003, 12:36:24 PM »
Don't worry Lynsey I'm sure Jessie will be fine :D actually this is something I've never heard of, having never owned a bitch before..so something I will keep an eye out for now :) so will be back later to check out how you get on...kisses to Jessie... :-*                    

Anonymous

down below problems
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2003, 01:03:24 PM »
thansk Gilly, I will post as soon as I know anything, she is lookin sory for hersel at moment, but am wonderin whether shes picking up on my wories and is just playing the part, or is actually worse than I thought...   butterflys butterflys!                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
down below problems
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2003, 01:31:34 PM »
Even with vaginitis Lynsey, Jazz looked so sorry for herself - hence the reason for deciding to take her to the vets and not letting it clear up on its own.

It could be a womb infection - but try and wait until they confirm that by proper examination before getting worked up  ;)