Author Topic: Fleas  (Read 10440 times)

Offline LouiseH

• Site Member
  • Lourisma Moon Quest
    • Lourisma Cocker Spaniels
Fleas
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2002, 11:23:12 PM »
Phew - thanks for that Jane, you have put my mind at rest I have been worried sick, following veterinary advice i treated one of mine the other day who is expecting soon, that is after i read the label 60 billion times and phoned the vets at least 6 times! We have had a pup back who we think brought them into the house, or my dog puppy could have brought them back from a show or even the fields. I keep mine topped up with frontline spot on but Jazz missed her dose as i was planning to mate her, so she's the unlucky one.
Which household spray do you use? Have you ever tried Staykill? Think thats the one my vet recomended.
God I hate the things. First time i've actually seen one in real life - yuk! although 24 hours later no scratching, lots of eggs on flea comb though - eugh. Hopefully caught in time. How long can they live for the eggs?
Phew - feel much better now :-)                    
Louise Harrison
Lourisma Cocker Spaniels

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Fleas
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2002, 10:46:20 PM »
The frontline spray is excellent for nursing bitches as it acts as an umbrella for the pups and then it can be used on them from 2 weeks of age. Staykill is a good enviromental spray-I treated my flat with it before I moved in as the previous owners had a cat but now I use the Fleeguard spot-on enviromental control - lot less hassle                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Fleas
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2002, 11:02:58 PM »
I know it says it's safe for nursing bitches but reading that it's safe & feeling that it's safe can be two different things - we breeders are terrible worry-guts :)

Haven't tried Staykill yet - we usually use Acclaim which I treat the carpets with a couple of times a year

I quite like catching fleas & squashing them between my nails - must have a sadistic streak in me ;D I unfortunately see quite a lot of them on some of my grooming clients whose owners haven't been converted to the benefits of Frontline :)                    
Jane

Offline Fran

• Site Member
Fleas
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2002, 11:32:27 AM »
My Vet always prescribes the Frontline drops which you apply to the back of the neck other than the spray.  Which in your opinion's gives the most effective treatment ?                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Fleas
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2002, 12:45:30 PM »
I dont have any experience of the other remedies discussed, but those drops on the back of the neck (accompanied by tablets) have always worked perfectly well for my two. Not a single flea for several months afterwards.                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Fleas
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2002, 12:51:26 PM »
I always use the spray having had one of our old dogs suffer an allergic reaction to the spot on drops a while ago (a large patch of wet eczema came up on the neck where the drops were applied) However, I know plenty of other people use the spot-on treatment without problems - it's just a matter of personal preference. The spray is very effective if applied properly so it gets down to the skin but it's admittedly easier to use the spot-on drops.

Jane                    
Jane

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Fleas
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2002, 06:45:43 PM »
I prefer the drops myself but they are both equally as effective. I would say that the frontline spray seems to be more effective on ticks than the spot-on                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Fleas
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2002, 09:24:03 PM »
Does anyone else give garlic capsules as a preventative measure?  ??? Mine have one in their food every day, and either I'm just lucky or it works........they've not had any fleas for a long time  :D                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Fleas
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2002, 08:02:37 PM »
I've thought about trying it Michele but Brook gets all sorts put into his food every day so I would seem a bit mean :) And as he comes to work every day, that is the one place he probably would pick them up so don't know if I would want to chance it.                    

Offline LouiseH

• Site Member
  • Lourisma Moon Quest
Fleas
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2002, 09:09:49 PM »
Yes I have treated a pregnant bitch (after a close encounter with a hedghog :)) with Frontline spray with no problems, though I did use it quite sparingly. The spray is licensed for use in pregnant cats & dogs & also for nursing bitches apparently.

just thought I would let you know Jane - we found our hedgehog  ;D                    
Louise Harrison
Lourisma Cocker Spaniels

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Fleas
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2002, 03:57:40 PM »
Waaaaaaaaaah it's my turn :(

Jasper and Buddy are riddled :( :( :(

I found one on Buddy three weeks ago - it was just the one and there was no other evidence - no flea poo - eggs or owt. I treated them both with a Bob Martin Spot on - was cuddling Buddy on Saturday and felt some grit in his coat - had a good look and it was flea poo - lots of it. I got the flea comb on them yesterday and found loads of the little monsters - have vet-kem'd the house and have just got some Frontline Spray from the vets £25!!! :o

I am horrified - how can they not respond to the drops and then multiply so incredibly rapidly - they weren't there a few days ago - honest:( doesn't it make you feel so awful :-[ :(. Don't know where they came from - but they aint staying  >:(- grrrrrrrrrrrrrr                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline LouiseH

• Site Member
  • Lourisma Moon Quest
Fleas
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2002, 04:39:56 PM »
It ain't cheap is it Pam  :o but you'll see it will be well worth it when the little things are dead!
Thing I noticed though was, until they are dead they go on laying eggs and these will need to be removed from coat with a flea comb, even if the spray does kill 'em.
 As soon as I sprayed with F-L they seemed to have a mass egg laying tournament!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck - and booooooooo to Bob Martin!
(Don't know why it's on the shelf to be honest)  ::)                    
Louise Harrison
Lourisma Cocker Spaniels