Author Topic: Botty trouble worse.... Previously: "Feeling like a very bad mummy :("  (Read 7412 times)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Feeling like a very bad mummy :(
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2006, 07:52:48 PM »
there is usually a nasty fishy metallic smell if there are anal gland problems so on the 2 ocassions that jarv has suffered we had that symptom fairly quickly, and although the glands were full, they weren't infected.

was there no smell with barney rachel?  (it is a very distinct smell   :o )

No there wasn't - which is why i didn't realise there was a problem.  Both james and  i have had a failry bad cold over the last week so maybe we just couldn't smell it  ph34r although when the vet did the squeezing we could certainly smell it  ph34r

Barney is enjoying his bran-covered food at the moment - and is certainly enjoying the antibiotics that we are hiding in ham  :005:

erkkkkk it's not a pleasant experience is it (for him or you!) ph34r

glad he's on the road to recovery ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2006, 07:59:07 PM »
Ooops, Mikey has been doing this so do you think I should take him to the vets?  he scoots along the floor and then goes back to sniff where he's scooted.   ::)

If they scoot, is it always anal gland probs?, are there any other symptoms?  he's been wormed recently.

Never had this with my collie or Ronald, are spaniels more prone to anal gland probs?

When Peppers got infected he started having trouble going to the toilet, he'd get into position then stop, walk around, get into position again etc. But he was a right wimp so we found out quite quickly that he had a problem.

Millie

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2006, 09:58:37 PM »
Don't be hard on yourself, they can fill up within a day or two. Billys can be emptied one day and then be full again a couple of days later  ;)

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2006, 11:43:08 PM »
Don't feel bad.  ;)  The vet picked up that Sapphi had full anal glands and I didn't know what they were at that point.

Hope Barney's get sorted with the anti-b's quickly.

We were told on our grooming course that if you feel the dogs anus at the four and eight o'clock positions, you can feel if the glands need emptying. Barney's did, though I wasn't brave enough to do it so the tutor did. Don't think I will be attempting it, but its handy to know how to tell and I keep an eye on my lots now.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline Rachel B

• Site Member
  • Look at me!!!!
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2006, 09:36:19 AM »
Well, Barney doesn't seem too well this morning.....

He went into the garden to do his normal first thing in the morning business, and started on a "number two".  he then jumped up mid-poo and yelped and then lay down and started licking himself.  The poor little mite didn't know what had happened....

He woudl normally have done a second morning poo on our walk but didn't - i imagine he might be a bit scared in case it hurt again (do dogs think like that?)

Do i need to return him to the vet before friday or do you think this is just something that will happen because of the infection?  Is there anything i can do to help him?  I've had to come into work today so i'm not sure what mess i will return to.
Rachel & James and a waggly tail from Mr Barningham

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2006, 09:43:02 AM »
Morning Rach :D :D

Could Barney be constipated? Could that be why he yelped?

If it is something like that then some Lactulose will sort him out ;) Or some Wittabix ;) tried and tested methods here :005:

Not sure about gland issues though, these two havent ever had theirs emptied, so cant comment about his infection :huh: sorry hun! someone else will know ofcourse!!

Hope he feels better soon :D

Offline Rachel B

• Site Member
  • Look at me!!!!
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2006, 10:09:00 AM »

If it is something like that then some Lactulose will sort him out ;) Or some Wittabix ;) tried and tested methods here :005:

Not sure about gland issues though, these two havent ever had theirs emptied, so cant comment about his infection :huh: sorry hun! someone else will know ofcourse!!

Will bran have the same effect as weetabix?  We have started adding some of that on the vets recommendation - don't want to fill the poor lad too full of fibre!!!

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2006, 10:23:37 AM »

Will bran have the same effect as weetabix?  We have started adding some of that on the vets recommendation - don't want to fill the poor lad too full of fibre!!!

Yes hun it will ;)

Offline Rachel B

• Site Member
  • Look at me!!!!
Re: Botty trouble worse.... Previously: "Feeling like a very bad mummy :("
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2006, 01:47:05 PM »
I got home at lunchtime and luckily there had been no accidents but he is obviously still a little distressed - still being his usual self but doing a lot of licking around his bottom.  He hasn't done another poo which is very unlike him but i don't want to fill him full of too much fibre in case it back fires (literally  :005: )

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2006, 02:18:26 PM »
I got home at lunchtime and luckily there had been no accidents but he is obviously still a little distressed - still being his usual self but doing a lot of licking around his bottom.  He hasn't done another poo which is very unlike him but i don't want to fill him full of too much fibre in case it back fires (literally  :005: )

the bran will firm up his poo's not loosen them...that's why they recommend them for anal glands (so the firm stool presses on them and helps them empty naturally).

I would say that the infected glands are painful and that is why he's yelping, and if he's been on the anti-b's a few days that this should have started to clear the infection.  I would be tempted to ring the vet if he's in pain when he tries to do a number 2  :-\

helen & jarvis x

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2006, 05:43:03 PM »
Poor thing, no advice I'm afraid I just hope he's feeling better soon.
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2006, 09:00:48 PM »
Poor little Barney - hope the anti-bs kick in soon for him!!  :luv:
from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2006, 01:48:43 PM »
Rachl, it's so common, don't fel bad. Just give him bran regularly now and hope that will help them empty.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2006, 02:41:21 PM »
Just read this whole thread and have to admit to being one of the dumbest people on here but I have no idea what you are going on about. What are anal glands? Why do they fill up and is there a preventative? It just sounds really painful and I'd hate to not notice something wrong with Glen if it happens to him.  ::)

Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2006, 03:08:45 PM »
They are glands either sid of the anus, scent glands, that coat each poo th dog does, if th poo is solid enough. Bulking up stools with bran helps ensur a firm enough poo for th glands to hopfully empty normally, but sometimes thy ned to b expressed by a vet or groomer if it doesn't normally happen. The dog may hav a strong fishy smll and scoot on it's bottom.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)