Author Topic: What is this condition called ??  (Read 1239 times)

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
What is this condition called ??
« on: April 19, 2007, 07:20:21 PM »
Hi Guys

I've just noticed that Sebastian has a swollen ear .... he will need an operation as I think there is blood collecting in this bit which obviously needs to be released but I'm not sure of what the vet term is for this condition so if you know could you let me know.  Will book him into the vets tomorrow and hopefully get it sorted asap he is ok but it is sore if I touch it.

Poor Boy  :'( :'( :'( :'(

Thanks Guys

Dessie & Sebbie xx
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Re: What is this condition called ??
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 07:28:40 PM »
Don't know what its called, sorry Dessie, but just wanted to send best wishes to Sebastian, hope hes feeling better soon :luv:

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 07:35:38 PM »
Dessie, is it actually the ear that is swollen or the leather?

I ask because I wonder if he's been stung, Halle had this kind of reaction in October last year. Its not too early, I had a wasp in the kitchen today.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 07:56:00 PM »
I think it's called an aural haematoma which is a blood blister in the ear flap. It's pretty straightforward to drain them, they're usually caused by some sort of trauma to the ear.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 08:15:21 PM »
Forgot to say (phone rang  ::)) that I cleared Halle's up with a couple of doses of Piriton.  ;)

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 09:18:02 PM »
It certainly sounds like an aural haematoma as Nicola has said.

Charley had one in February.  I took him to the vet who confirmed it, and he went in the following day to have it sorted out.  The whole of the ear had been stitched across and down after it had been drained.

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 09:19:13 PM »
Sounds like a haematoma to me too. It's just a collection of blood in the tissues. Like a bruise.

It doesn't explain what cause it (could she have been bitten by another dog perhaps???).

If it is large it would be best to have it draines to prevent infection. Hope he is soon feeling much better.

Have just re-read your post and see that you haven't yet seen the vet. So it could be a sting. I don't think it would hurt to try a dose of Piriton tonight if you have some.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 09:23:42 PM »
Can you see the blood collected in the ear or could it be a sting?  Coco had a very hot and swollen ear last year and I took her to the vet as it was very painful when touched - they knocked her out to have a proper look but couldn't work it out either.  ::)  I think it was probably a wasp sting though as it had gone down by the next day and she was soon back to normal.  ;)  I would try some piriton too if you have any - might just take the irritation out of it.
Julie and Watson

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
    • Derrindee Spaniels
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 10:21:31 PM »
Hi Guys

Thanks for all your replies it is the leather that is swollen up like a blister under the skin and I'm pretty sure it is the aural haematoma I knew would it was but not what it's proper name was  ;)

Hopefully the Vet can get him in and sorted soon as it can't be very nice having that horrible thing in your ear leather .....  I've seen it on Vet programmes on the tv Golden Retrievers with it and they do open up the length of the swelling and drain out the blood etc and just stitch it back up again so nothing too bad.

Thanks again Guys will let you know how he gets on tomorrow and take photo's if you're interested.

Dessie & Sebbie

Derrindee Spaniels

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 03:32:34 PM »
Very often our vets will drain them with a syringe in surgery, which instantly relieves the pressure. I think it's preferable as they can tend to come back, so if it's a laid back dog I'd ask about it being done like that.

It can be a bit messy and spectacular though.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
    • Derrindee Spaniels
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 05:31:55 PM »
Hi Guys

Well I'm pleased to report that Sebbie has been to see the vet and had a general anesthetic put into the ear first and then he drained off the liquid that had collected ..... it was very bloody and no clots so looks quite good ... the vet then gave him a steriod injection to help clear the infection up.  Sebbie does also have a minor infection in both ears so we have some drops to put in them twice a day as well.  He has to go back in 2-3 weeks for a check up. 

He was a very brave boy though and didn't move a muscle when he was given the injections or having the fluid syringed off ... bless him aye .....

Thanks again

Dessie & The Big Brave Sebbie  ;) ;)

P.S.  Didn't take any pics as being a Cocker Spaniel you couldn't really see anything just feel it  ;)

Derrindee Spaniels

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 05:59:35 PM »
Well done Sebbie for being such a brave soldier :shades:. I hope you're back to normal very soon. :luv:

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 08:41:09 PM »
Hi Glad you got sorted without to much discomfort.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 09:13:41 PM »
awww sebbie,  glad that it wasn't too painful a procedure for him and that he's on the road to recovery :luv:
helen & jarvis x