Author Topic: What to do if your cocker is choking!  (Read 1267 times)

Offline julsngraham

• Site Member
  • My Baby at 11 Weeks
What to do if your cocker is choking!
« on: August 01, 2007, 02:57:07 PM »
Thought I might ask advice - I think I know what to do but...

Last night I was quietly watching my Tea and paddy was quietly shredding his blanket - when someone must have walked past and he jumped up and started barking obviously had a bit of blanket it his mouth and starting gasping/choking on it. I threw my dinner down and ran over but he was ok although trying to get it up...coughing and choking but still breathing ok

I took him through for some water and he seemed ok eventually

What should I have done if he wasnt though - Just the same as a human

Shiver - what a thought

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
Re: What to do if your cocker is choking!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 03:09:58 PM »
I hope somebody will come along with some advice as I too would like to know what to do.  Fern often makes a choking noise when she's gulped a load of water from a puddle, and I always fear that it is something stuck.
Caroline & Sam RIP Fern x RIP Charlie Cat x

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 03:15:18 PM »
check for an obstruction and if I can remove it remove it... all my dogs get used to having my hands in their mouths in case of an emergency. :D

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 10:51:29 PM »
also if its a small dog hold it up as you would a small choking child upside down and apply backslaps to try to dislodge whatever. a large dog may require abdominal thrusts pushing up towards chest from stomach to try to push air up out of lungs and that way clear airway. a dog that is making a lot of noise while breathing is still getting air in and out but has an obstruction.. total obstruction is silent and the dog will soon lose consciousness due to lack of O2 . you may then have to try mouth to mouth res-us but be careful to have the head fully extended back so the tongue does not roll back and ensure a clear airway ,  when rescue breathing you will have to cover nostrils so air doesn't just come straight out again. do not blow too fast or too hard as the air will then be forced into the stomach and then it will come straight back up along with stomach contents. I imagine it will be very difficult to give mouth to mouth to an adult dog due to the very shape of their mouths, with a small pup it would be easier, I have rescussed pups in the past.. ones his lordship Rolo. :luv:
 be carefull when trying to get something from a dogs throat that you don't push the foreign body down further and block what little airway he has. its the same for humans.
lets hope we never have to find out how effective all this is!

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 05:17:37 PM »
You don't need to do mouth to mouth you can do mouth to nose.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 10:07:38 PM »
You don't need to do mouth to mouth you can do mouth to nose.
yep and keep the mouth closed while you do it, or in a very small dog cover mouth and nose. but hopefully this will all be theoretical, mind you OH once resuscitated a tup that keeled over at the clipping. it revived fathered another shower of lambs and then got sold on.. ;)

Offline Danni n Betty

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 10:31:27 PM »
I've finally got round to ordering a doggy first aid book. There are loads of them on amazon  :D
Im such a flapper in stressfull situations, so this will really help if, god forbid  ph34r ,anything scary did happen

Offline tillydog

• Site Member
  • Rommel & Lady
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 09:31:13 AM »
When we had Tilly, I had to remove a chicken bone from the top of her throat that she was choking on (some kids at a BBQ had given it to her despite being told not to) and a couple of times Lady has choked on some chews and I've had to put my hand in after opening her mouth to have a look first.

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 03:28:30 PM »
We had to rescue Zorro a few weeks back - he'd had a recreational bone that afternoon, did a loud belch and then started pawing frantically at his mouth. OH put him on her lap and held his mouth open and he had a big piece of bone which he must've regurgitated and it had got wedged between his top back teeth, just enough to half cover his windpipe (but he could at least still breathe although he was getting panicky). It was very firmly wedged but thankfully I was able to hook one of my fingernails under it and dislodge it - it was a scary moment though!
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline julsngraham

• Site Member
  • My Baby at 11 Weeks
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 03:30:32 PM »
Oh god - SHIVER..     ph34r