Author Topic: What to expect after Ruby has her op ?  (Read 1089 times)

Offline Lyndsey

• Site Member
What to expect after Ruby has her op ?
« on: October 25, 2007, 03:02:13 PM »
Sorry if this is on the wrong forum so MOD's please feel free to move it x x x

Well anyway, I've booked Ruby in to be spayed on 7th November :-\
I'm going to be lost wthout her for the day.
Anyway I'm sure the vet will give me advise on the day but I'm a worrier so I would like some
info before then.
What can I expect her to be like when I pick her up. Is there anything I can do to make
things more comfortable for her ? or she is best left alone.
What are your experiances of your babies being "done".

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: What to expect after Ruby has her op ?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 03:56:32 PM »
She may be still a bit groggy from the anasthesia and just want to sleep. Best is just to let her rest. (and you rest too, cuz in  a day or two she'll be back to her old self :005:)

My girls came home and slept for the rest of the evening, next morning it was business as usual, you wouldn't even know they'd had surgery  :blink:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 03:58:53 PM »
She may cry, but I think this due more to the anaesthesia than being in pain. she will probably be right as rain he next day.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline Rubysmum

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 07:53:18 PM »
We had our Ruby spayed in January, I was nearly sick with worry so I went to work and let OH take her and pick her up-I couldn't concentrate it was awful.  I had no need to worry she was brilliant!! :D  When I came in from work she wobbled over to me and she was a bit sleepy that night but the next day it was as if nothing had happened.  She had her stiches out a week later and had no problems.  I have heard a couple of horror stories on here so didn't know what to expect but she was really fine.  i hope everything goes as well as it did for us, don't worry I'm sure she'll be fine  :luv:
Andrea & Ruby

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 08:00:43 PM »
Coco was done fairly early on in the day.  Consequently, when I went to collect her in the middle of the afternoon she was wide awake!  ::)  She was a bit quiet that evening but from the next morning onwards she was as if nothing had happened - she had her food and never cried or seemed to be in any pain.  :D  She never bothered with her stitches (she had the dissolving sort) but she was so lively that I was worried she would burst them.  I took her on lead walks only until she had her check (about a week I think) but I also had to put the lead on her to go outside for a wee as she kept trying to do the wall of death round the garden  ::)  :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline millerman

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 11:51:29 PM »
Tasha our 2yr old was done some 8 weeks ago, and like others have said little dazed, wanted to rest and we just let her, no hard and fast rules, she dictated what and when she wanted something. We just made sure she didn't have a chew at the 2 stitches, we did this by cutting one of our Sons old football socks in half, and then sliding this over her body from her bottom, a bit like a bandage. No walks for ten days no jumping onto the furniture, back to the Vets stitches out no problems what so ever.

Offline teapot

• Site Member
  • ~Tia~
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 03:38:12 PM »
Tia was done in April. She was groggy and sorry for herself when we got her home and she just snuggled under a blanket. Next day she was a little quieter than normal but eating ok, then back on form the day after this. We had problems with her nibbling/scratching her stitches as I think they itched so we used a girls vest t-shirt that covered all her wound.( She hated the buster collar and it wrecked my legs and furniture !) After ten days of lead walks and trying to restict an exuberant cocker the stitches came out and we were back to normal !  ;)
Good luck with Ruby  ;)
Marie & Tia x

Offline mandy1977

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 09:01:49 PM »
Hi, have just had tliiy done last week, she was really groggy when i picked her up  and the next day she just slept and slept but the following day was her usual self and now a week on u can hardly see any trace of stitches or surgery and she is as bubbly as ever try not to worry- sayin that i was totally lost all day without her, hope all goes well with ruby,

Offline LesleyW

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 07:59:43 AM »
Yep pretty much the same here, Bracken was done last month (shes 4, i was a little concerned, I have to say), but she had the dissolvable, internalised stitches too and was back to normal the following day.  She hated the lampshade collar and we only put it on her at night and during the day when we were out and she was miffed but fine.

Lead walks only for 7 days then gentle off leads, and no plunging through the undergrowth (in my vets words)..... ph34r