Author Topic: Updated (It's not) Pyometra - Wherry is unwell.  (Read 7823 times)

Offline Coco

• Site Member
Re: Pyometra - Wherry is very unwell.
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2007, 11:42:07 PM »
We're supposed to be flying from Gatwick at 6pm to the Maldives but I was supposed to go to London tonight to see my uncle and cousin who I have never met (the cousin) who are over from Africa where he lives. All the family are there now.
I wonder what i've done to someone, somewhere sometimes!!
I thoroughly trust who she is being left with with regard to taking care of her, particularly in a situation where Wherry is unwell, I don't agree with their attutude toward breeding but they are huge dog lovers and love Wherry to pieces. Their springer is the most spoiled dog ever  :luv:
OH thinks she'll be fine, that we should go. Now that we know in theory she isn't in danger.

The thing about someone hurting her, she has a phobia about her feet being touched, it's like someone has hurt her and she is protecting herself, like an abused dog.
She broke her toe when she was yound when a steel pipe fell on her so we thought it was that but the vet said it was strange how she was and how clingy she was to me and came to me for protection. She isn't usually like this at all but in the vet's it's always me she tries to get to.
She was crying and lashing out when you touched her like she was in huge pain but it turns out she most likely isn't, not that the vet can feel and the vet thought she was scared. Again, Wherry doesn't cope with the vets at all so she behaves differently there it was strange that she shoulf say it after I had said the same.
I don't know. It could be one of the students on the farm has kicked her or something God forbid. I just don't know  :huh:

She rarely gets shouted at by me and we just have fun, cuddles, food and play whereas with Tom it's more serious and she will get told off but he would never harm her. I guess that would explain why she sees me as the one to protect her.

God i'm confused.
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline clarey-doll

• Limited Member
  • my 2 angels Lady and Skye
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2007, 11:47:50 PM »
sounds to me shes in good hands :shades:

I get that feeling too ive done something wrong in a former life,im never lucky in what ido >:(

Your the one that can make the decision,but the Maldives,id die to go there :luv:

Good Luck in what you decide doll ;)

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2007, 11:56:45 PM »
I'm sorry I have only just seen this.

What timing!

I am so pleased that it doesn't seem to be a life threatening condition, but it is still a worry isn't it? Would your pet insurance not cover the holiday cancellation?

I am not sure what I would do, and I think only you can decide anyway. But you do need to feel at peace about it whichever you decide.

I am so sorry this has happened. Hope she is soon much better.

Is this the same vet who suggested breeding from her now? I am not sure I would value his judgement to be honest. I am quite worried about his opinion of her behaviour and the possible causes. I would have thought that you would know your own dog better, and if you think she shows signs of pain, then that is probably what it is. If in your heart, you think it might not be pain, then go with his judgement.

Just out of interest, has she had any discharge at all with this season? How did it smell? What did it look like?

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2007, 12:00:32 AM »
I have just been looking at some other threads.

Did you mention Wherry's coughing/sneezing to the vet? It might be significant. I'm not thinking of anything in particular, but just want to make sure you did report it.

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2007, 12:11:24 AM »
aw glad she's not in danger. The vet could be totally wrong about the fact someone has hurt her so try not to worry too much.

I'd see how she is tomorrow before you decide on the holiday, but if you know now that you are definately not going to relax on holiday and will be worrying about her then is there much point you going? Can the holiday company not just postpone it for a week? rather than cancelling it altogether?
It's worth a try  :huh:

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2007, 12:12:37 AM »
I'm sorry I have only just seen this.

What timing!

I am so pleased that it doesn't seem to be a life threatening condition, but it is still a worry isn't it? Would your pet insurance not cover the holiday cancellation?

I am not sure what I would do, and I think only you can decide anyway. But you do need to feel at peace about it whichever you decide.

I am so sorry this has happened. Hope she is soon much better.

as it isn't 'life threatening surgery' and we booked 'within 28 days of flying' the insurance won't pay so it'll be £1,500 down the drain.

Also I only booked the holiday insurance today so even if it did cover it it would look too suss I think.

I've just spoken to my Mum and she says we should go and if anything she will come down and see her.
I'll tell you a secret why i'm soooo worried and please don't think i'm stupid? My Coco died when I was on Holiday in America, My Grandad died when I was on Holiday in Monaco (for my birthday), My Dad fell into the celler and cracked his skull only to be found later unconcious in a pool of blood when I was in America the second time, of course if iI wasn't on holiday i'd have been there and found him sooner. I think that is clouding my judgement a little. It scares me so much. (And can you see why I feel like someone is out to get me?!)
To top it off my laptop screen got broken last night so I have spent most of the day trying to recall all of the holiday stuff that was on it!! I'm not sure it could get any worse.

Basically I won't be happy if I go, I won't be happy if I stay. I have also just worked out that if they are going to blood test and x-ray we will need to have left by the time we know anything I think so can't wait and deciede.

:'( :'( :'( :'(

I did mention the coughing and sneezing but as her bits are so swollen she thinks it's that and the coughing sneezing is by the by

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2007, 12:15:58 AM »
Can the holiday company not just postpone it for a week? rather than cancelling it altogether?
It's worth a try  :huh:

We can't go a different week due to work, from what I can see the only option is to pay £100 ish to change the names and just let someone else go with regard to not totally wasting it.

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2007, 12:21:42 AM »
Coco, have you checked your PET insurance policy?

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2007, 12:54:11 AM »
Well the pet insurance is the 'life threatening' thing, it has to be life threatening and also you can't have booked the holiday under 28 days ago so there is just no way on that one, I just booked a couple of weeks ago.
The holiday insurance has no specifics but though it does say under the cancellation bit that they don't cover anything you knew at the time of buying the insurance may cause you to cancel it. So basically, if I paid for the insurance at 5pm this afternoon and she was in the vets by 10pm I don't think they'll have that.

I think i'm going to go, on the holiday. I can't do anything her for here. I can't afford to lose the money (I couldn't afford to spend it in the first place  ph34r) and it's the money for the car parking, insurance,toiletries etc too. Also now the lap-top (though hopefully insured and OH's fault so he should cough up ::) ) to pay for.
I think if I don't get away i'll go blurry mad! If I stay i'll be unhappy whether she is ok or not, if I go and she is ok at least i'll be happy for part of the week. We will know the outcome before we fly if it is anything awful we just don't get on the plane. See what the morning brings.

Oh and she is going to be spayed as soon as now.

Thank you all, if I do go please don't think badly of me.

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2007, 01:01:57 AM »
Hi! I'm sorry I missed this thread. I hope it's nothing serious and that she gets well soon! I don't think badly of you for going, hope you can manage to enjoy your trip. Good luck with everything!

Offline clarey-doll

• Limited Member
  • my 2 angels Lady and Skye
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2007, 01:08:00 AM »
Vick,
Your doing the right thing ;)

Try enjoy your hol as best you can you deserve the break doll ;)

Good luck ;) :luv:

Hugs to Wherry xx :luv:

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2007, 01:51:39 AM »
Sending you a [[[[[hug :luv:]]]]]]

What a worry!  :-\ Hope Wherry is well soon!

I would take the vets remark about her past "abuse" with a grain of salt. I have had Joy since she was 8 weeks old (she's 8 years now) and she is an absolute freak about her feet. Absolutely no one has harmed her, it's just her nature. Although a stranger might have a hard time believing it from the way she carries on when she gets her feet touched, or trimmed, heaven forbid!  ::) (forget about nails--not going to happen  >:( :005:)

(Look at the bright side, it's settled the breeding issue  :blink:)
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Coco

• Site Member
Re: Updated (It's not) Pyometra - Wherry is unwell.
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2007, 02:31:34 AM »

(Look at the bright side, it's settled the breeding issue  :blink:)

Very true indeed. I shall pass that on to OH about Joy who I is concerned that someone at the farm had been bad to Wherry. You know what I mean then about the reaction looking like something terrible has happenend before.

Thank you all for your kind words and they are very much appreciated, I care for Wherry more than anything and i'm very concerned for her, when the vet said emergency surgery I didn't know what to think. I've just looked through this and it sounds like i'm a selfish cow who only cares about going on a soddin' holiday. It's often my nature to be practical when i'm worried and it comes across badly.
I think i've been typing my thought process which is a bit all over the place so apologies for going off topic. I'll try to keep you updated.

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
Re: Updated (It's not) Pyometra - Wherry is unwell.
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2007, 07:57:25 AM »
glad wherry trouble is not life threatening. i would say that if you can trust who you are leaving her with i would go. like you say you will get the results before you get on the plane, so that will be your last decision.  :-*

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2007, 08:28:21 AM »

Thank you all, if I do go please don't think badly of me.

Coco, noone on here has a right to pass judgement on your decision, if they do then  :P to them.  :005: Seriously though, I know exactly what you are going through.  ;) Your mind is all confused, hence you cannot make a decision, but I know from experience if deep down you thought something bad was going to happen to Wherry whilst you where away you would have already decided not to go, if that makes sense. Guilt is clouding your ability to make the decision, you have already said you trust where she is staying, and that it is no longer life threatening. If it was I know you wouldnt even be having this conversation, you would be staying at home.  ;) I have been through this myself Coco, a few times to be honest, and I definately knew instantly the last time, as I refused to go. The previous times I had worried about it but eventually gone. I appreciate other reasons why you feel like this (past experiences) and god I really feel for you, but your gut instinct will tell you if its the right or wrong thing for you. Only you know Coco, but if she is relatively settled and not in obvious danger I would make my way to the airport and make some phone calls before I got on the plane.

I really do hope Wherry is feeling a bit better today and that you do have a fab holiday. Thinking of you and Wherry.  :luv: