Author Topic: Reuben is at the vets.  (Read 4525 times)

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
Reuben is at the vets.
« on: April 08, 2008, 08:59:44 PM »
Thought I better start a new topic to explain rather than take over the insurance thread.  ph34r

When I got up this morning, Reuben couldn't stand up.  :'(  He just lay in the crate looking at me. He semed to try to scramble up on his back legs but couldn't move his front left leg. We lifted him out and felt him all over and he didn't react at all; no yelping or reaction to pain.  :dunno:

I took him to the vets first thing. They manipulated all his joints and spine and everything seemed fine. After several attempts at getting him to stand up, he finally did. But then his back seemed to crumple and his back legs just gave way under him.  :'(
They don't think he's had a stroke because his symptoms aren't one sided and his eyes are Ok.  :dunno:

I had to leave him there for blood tests, observations and possible X-rays. He was trembling/shaking a lot, but that could have been fear of the vets and not knowing what was happening to him.  :dunno:

I spoke to the vet this evening and he thinks the problem is a gastric one.  :dunno: Reuben had "very explosive bloody diarrhea" and they think he was just not moving or standing because of the pain in his stomach.  :'(  He is on a drip for fluids, anti-biotics and something else that I can't remember.  :-[ He also has a catheter fitted. He is settled, but still looks miserable and is very hunched up. They are going to keep him in over night and if there is no improvement in the morning they will x-ray him.

The house is very quiet without him.  :'(  :'(

Offline dawnie

• Site Member
Re: Reuben is at the vets.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 09:01:15 PM »
Very worrying  :huh:- I hope everything is OK.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 09:03:26 PM »
Sorry to hear this Rhona - poor Reuben and poor you.  It is such a worry.  Hope the vet finds the problem quickly and sorts out whatever it is.  Do you think he might have eaten something he shouldn't?

Keep us posted.  Sending positive thoughts from here and gentle squidges for your gorgeous boy  :luv:
Julie and Watson

Offline beebee

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 09:04:55 PM »
What a worry for you. I hope they find out whats causing it, and he starts to feel better soon.
It'll be difficult for you to sleep well tonight. Take care.
Barbara

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 09:06:56 PM »
You know I'm thinking about both of you hun  :-* :-*  I'm sure your golden boy is going to be fine  :luv:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 09:09:42 PM »
Poor old Reuben
Sending him hugs and thinking of you both, hope he is a little better in the morning :luv:

Bens mum

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 09:14:45 PM »
Do you think he might have eaten something he shouldn't?
I don't think so as he had his main off lead run in the morning yesterday, so if he had eaten anything then I would have thought that it would have affected him before this morning. He was fine at 1a.m when I put him to bed, but couldn't stand up by 7.30.  :-\

As for food at home; he shared a turkey neck and a bag of mince with Casper and he is fine. (Touch wood.  :embarassed: )

Just praying it's not a blockage or something now. Couldn't face a lecture on BARF after all this.  ph34r

Offline PennyB

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 09:22:30 PM »
How awful, hope he gets better soon and they find out what the problem is
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 09:22:39 PM »
Just praying it's not a blockage or something now. Couldn't face a lecture on BARF after all this.  ph34r
I suppose it could be a bit of turkey bone he didn't crunch up properly - at least that would be a fairly simple problem if that was it.  :-\  I am sure you can deal with the BARF lecture if you have to Rhona :shades:  ;)  Do you have to ring in the morning then?
Julie and Watson

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 09:23:36 PM »
Oh, what a worry.

I am glad that they seem to be looking after him well.

Try to sleep tonight. Will Casper settle without him, do you think?

And I really hope he will be a bit brighter in the morning.

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 09:48:10 PM »
I am sure you can deal with the BARF lecture if you have to Rhona :shades:  ;)  Do you have to ring in the morning then?
Well I've already survived the 'cocker rage' lecture because Casper barked at them when he was there to be castrated.  :shades:

I'll be ringing as early as I can.  :D Unfortunately I'm at work tomorrow so I won't be able to see him until after then. If then! :'(

Try to sleep tonight. Will Casper settle without him, do you think?

Casper will sleep a whole lot better than I will.  ;) I don't think he's even noticed Reuben's gone.  ::) This is one case where litter mates have definitely not over bonded with each other.  :shades:

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 09:58:29 PM »
Sorry to hear Reuben is poorly - hope he feels better soon.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 09:59:59 PM »
Hope Reuben is feeling better soon.  I know it doesn't help much, but he really is in the best place.

Keeping everything crossed you have positive news in the morning.
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 10:18:44 PM »
Sorry Reuben is poorly and in hospital.  Hope you get good news tomorrow and he is soon back home.

Offline Doggone Mad

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 10:25:44 PM »
So sorry to hear that Reuben is at the vets, what a worry for you.  Hope the wee man improves tomorrow.